cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wheel Bearings

Bad_Brad
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2008 Keystone Raptor 3110TT. It's been a super awesome trailer...of course we maintain it to the hilt to keep it nice. Also, it's always been stored inside my garage since new.

My question is:

It has bearing buddies that I've kept greased up. However, I question whether or not grease gets to the rear bearings. We are headed to the Oregon Dunes from SLC, Utah in about 3 weeks. With regard to adequate axle/bearing lubrication? Are the bearing buddies sufficient or should I take everything apart and do the old fashion (but sure thing) grease job?

Thanks,

-Brad
2023 Ford F450 Lariat, 6.7 H.O., 10 Speed

2018 Grand Design Momentum 394
2010 Polaris RZR S
2014 Polaris RZR XP 1000
2 boys 26 & 23 yrs
A Super AWESOME Wife of 38 years
11 REPLIES 11

Bad_Brad
Explorer
Explorer
My boy and I finished pulling all the tires, hubs, and bearings today. The end result was a grease that had lost most of it's viscosity, three seals had started to leak, and two failed brake magnets. I am so glad I checked everything out prior to pulling the trailer to Oregon...almost 2000 miles round trip.

Question, I need to get the magnets this week. Do they need to be replaced in pairs? Also, will any magnet for a 12" brake system work (the magnets look the same)?

BTW, the EZ-lube only greases the rear bearing on mine...not the front. This is really good to know.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions here.

-Brad

2010 Polaris RZR S
2014 Polaris RZR XP 1000
2 boys 26 & 23 yrs

Bad_Brad
Explorer
Explorer
Strabo wrote:
I just replaced all the bearings and complete new brake assemblies on our 10 year old, double axle hauler.

Once you take a look, you will do the same.

I'll be checking these out. Thanks for your post.

2010 Polaris RZR S
2014 Polaris RZR XP 1000
2 boys 26 & 23 yrs

Bad_Brad
Explorer
Explorer
24fb freedom wrote:
If I where you I wouldn't feel comfortable unless I physically saw the grease on those wheel bearings in the back,take a few hours to inspect them before your trip and you'll have a much better drive not worrying about them.

Where are you staying at in oregon? I have planed a trip up there also and will be staying at lakeside rv resort for dune fest week, this will be our first time there so we'll just do some sight seeing and check out dune fest. We can't wait!!

I'm thinking you're right. Even if they were okay, the peace of mind knowing they are unlikely to be a problem is worth a lot. FYI, we are staying al the KOA near the Oregon Dunes near Coos Bay. We will be there July 18-23. I've been to Lakeside...you'll like it there too. Your first time and you're going to love it. What a beautiful place!

Best wishes to you in your travels. Be safe and have fun. Thanks again.

-Brad

2010 Polaris RZR S
2014 Polaris RZR XP 1000
2 boys 26 & 23 yrs

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced all the bearings and complete new brake assemblies on our 10 year old, double axle hauler.

Once you take a look, you will do the same.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

24fb_freedom
Explorer
Explorer
If I where you I wouldn't feel comfortable unless I physically saw the grease on those wheel bearings in the back,take a few hours to inspect them before your trip and you'll have a much better drive not worrying about them.

Where are you staying at in oregon? I have planed a trip up there also and will be staying at lakeside rv resort for dune fest week, this will be our first time there so we'll just do some sight seeing and check out dune fest. We can't wait!!

Bad_Brad
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
You probably don't have BB's, but EZ-Lubes. To ease your mind, go ahead and take one apart and see what you find.

I've had good luck with EZ-Lubes on several trailers, but you don't know for sure till you look inside.

Have fun at the dunes.

I think you are right. Good advice...I'll take one apart to validate. Thanks for all the replies.

2010 Polaris RZR S
2014 Polaris RZR XP 1000
2 boys 26 & 23 yrs

r1Mk
Explorer
Explorer
Dealer told me not to use the ez-lube because you can blow the axle seal if too much is put in it, which will put grease everywhere, including your brake pads. Now this was from the dealer who stays open by servicing RVs, so take it with a grain of salt. On the other hand, I was told this when I brought the trailer back right after purchase for blown axles seals and my brakes were covered in grease. I don't know if it was coinicdence or the dealer pushed grease through the ez lubes prior to delivery. Fortunately it was warrantied.
'06 GMC Duramax 4X4
'12 Fuzion 302
Winter 3 sleds
Summer 3 quads

Crazy_Cooter
Explorer
Explorer
Bearing Buddies are for axles that go underwater....The theory is that the grease is pumped in pushing against the spring in the cap. The spring keeps the hub pressurized and keeps the water from getting inside.

The short answer is "No".

The only way grease will get into your bearings is IF you blow the seal out out of the hub and the grease can flow through.

No way I would make that trip without packing the bearings!
1999 Peterbilt 385
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ
2010 NuWa Hitchhiker 36LKRSB
2012 Cyclone 300C Triple Axle
2013 Can Am Maverick X-RS
2006 KTM 525 EXC CA Plated

bandit86
Explorer
Explorer
You can only pump so much grease into a bearing until it is too full. If too full the bearing will run hot. Personally I would rather take the bearings apart every 10 years and re grease them. Greased bearings last 100 thousand miles easy a trailer is no differrent. Unless, from new it wasn't greased enough.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
You probably don't have BB's, but EZ-Lubes. To ease your mind, go ahead and take one apart and see what you find.

I've had good luck with EZ-Lubes on several trailers, but you don't know for sure till you look inside.

Have fun at the dunes.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hate BB seems I loose one every year, and grease goes every where, this is on boat trailers . I put about 5k miles a year on the trailers. every winter I pull them apart ,new seals and grease. as I loose BB I replace with a old style cup . be safe pull them and service them, and carry a spare set of bearings.. I carry a complete hub ready to install. and the tools to change it.