cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welding outlet with 50 amp rv outlet

Wiley123
Explorer
Explorer
I am out of room for extra breakers in my breaker box. I have a 220 3 wire outlet for my welder in the garage. Can I branch off of that outlet and install a 4 wire rv outlet if I run a separate neutral wire back to breaker panel? Would like to have both outlets and no adapters and I will not be using them simultaneously.
15 REPLIES 15

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Wiley123 wrote:
BB thanks for the suggestion, your right I could just do it that way and then all would be kosher.

Actually you can forget fabbing an adapter. Someone has already done it for you. Try this.

14-50P to 6-50R

Wiley123
Explorer
Explorer
BB thanks for the suggestion, your right I could just do it that way and then all would be kosher.

garym114
Explorer
Explorer
Go to http://www.myrv.us/electric/

select welder service on the left to see options
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
I think you could run a neutral and install a sub panel feeding the outlets.

IANALE - I believe codes requires the neutral conductor to be INSIDE that same cable or conduit as the other conductors.

byronlj
Explorer
Explorer
x3 on BB-TX. I do that at my well site.
byronlj
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3800RL

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
+1 for the added neutral and a 14-50 plug on the welder.

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
To meet code you could change the outlet to a 4 wire outlet with neutral for the RV. Then make yourself a short custom dogbone 4 wire to 3 wire adapter for when you want to use the welder. That ensures you could never use both at the same time and the adapter would really be no big deal. Just leave it attached to the welder. Unplug one and plug in the other.
That is the correct solution, otherwise you might have an interesting discussion with your insurance company if it ever caused a fire!!
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
To meet code you could change the outlet to a 4 wire outlet with neutral for the RV. Then make yourself a short custom dogbone 4 wire to 3 wire adapter for when you want to use the welder. That ensures you could never use both at the same time and the adapter would really be no big deal. Just leave it attached to the welder. Unplug one and plug in the other.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I think you could run a neutral and install a sub panel feeding the outlets.
-- Chris Bryant

Wiley123
Explorer
Explorer
Besides not being to code I can’t see it causing any other problems as far as I understand so long as all connections are properly made.

Wiley123
Explorer
Explorer
thanks guys, I know it won’t be up to code but just wanted to get another opinion.

rhochnadel
Explorer
Explorer
Not per code!
'05 Keystone Challenger TPK
'01 Chev 2500HD Duramax/Allison
Corgi "Pippin" & cat "Sundance":)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
And your qualifications to do all this re-wiring to code are?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Wiley123 wrote:
I am out of room for extra breakers in my breaker box. I have a 220 3 wire outlet for my welder in the garage. Can I branch off of that outlet and install a 4 wire rv outlet if I run a separate neutral wire back to breaker panel?

Not NEC compliant, but ...

much better than using the ground as neutral.