cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric Brakes for Fifth Wheel

Jimfromvirginia
Explorer
Explorer
Need to order new brakes for my 2010 Keystone Montana 3455SA. Want Self adjusting that are 12" x 2", with 7,000 lb axles. Looking for recommendations on brand and good place to buy them online, or otherwise.
2012 Keystone Montana 3455SA towed by 2009 Ford F450 4x4 Diesel
34 REPLIES 34

halfwright
Explorer
Explorer
If you install new magnets and shoes, be sure to have the drums turned. If you do not, you will have very poor braking action until the magnets and shoes "wear in" to match the groove in the drum.
Jim and Darlene Wright
Ryder, the Ethiopian monkey beaver dog
2007 Montana Mountaineer
2002 Ford F250

GCasta
Explorer
Explorer
C Schomer wrote:
Gcasta, my Kodiaks came with oil covers so I went with oil. I wonder why you got dust covers for grease.

I re-used the original caps, my brakes did not come with any. No big deal, I don't mind using grease and dealing with the routine maintainence. In regards to oil bath I have read that if the trailer sits for a while the part of the bearing not submerged in oil has potential for corrosion. Also, if a seal does go out with oil bath it will destroy the bearings pretty quickly. I did look at that option but since I am not very familiar with it decided to just stick with what I know

Greg
2015 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW
2014 Montana Mountaineer 331 RLT
2016 Lance 850

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Gcasta, my Kodiaks came with oil covers so I went with oil. I wonder why you got dust covers for grease.
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"And since they are floating calipers no need to do any adjusting."

I would highly recommend everyone lubricate their slide bolts with the proper silicone grease along with mating metal surfaces every year.

Be sure to properly seat the brake pads.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

GCasta
Explorer
Explorer

Just got done converting my Montana to disc last weekend. Took two days and mounting the rotor and calipers were no more difficult than changing out drum brakes. In fact was easier since everything was new and didn't have to clean anything up.
It was pretty easy to run the brake lines i just measured and got pre-flared lines in the proper length to avoid the hassle of flaring. Mounted the actuator in the front bay underneath the reservoir for the slide hydraulics.

Have not had a chance to really give it a good test yest but the little bit of driving I have done is WOW will NEVER use electric drums on a trailer again.

I went with the Kodiak 13" rotors standard finish with e-coat on caliper and mounting plate. Actuator is the Titan Brake-Rite EHB, both from Etrailer. Grat place to deal with.
Bearings are US made Timken bearings from Amazon and all the brake lines/fittings from local auto parts store

The cost is more, around 1,500 for complete setup not including installation vs. around 400 to replace drum brake pads with backing plate. This would assume your bearings, drums and wiring is all in serviceable condition.
The up side of disc is easier visual inspection of rotors, pads and grease seals. You don't even have to remove the wheels. And since they are floating calipers no need to do any adjusting.

If you can afford the cost difference and have some basic mechanical abilities or have a friend that does that might make it more affordable.

Here are some links to drums replacements you were considering and also to the disc setup I installed
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brakes/Dexter/23-464.html

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brakes/Kodiak/K2HR712.html

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brakes/Titan/T4813100.html
2015 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW
2014 Montana Mountaineer 331 RLT
2016 Lance 850

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Specularius wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Installation? The brakes them selves no more difficult than replacing drum brake assemblies. The hard part is locating the actuator and plumbing the brakes. You should be able to rent the proper flare tools. A good quality kit will come with everything you need.

I was making that statement because not everyone has the mechanical ability to perform the installation themself and would need to factor that cost in.

If going with the bigger brake shoes don't Forget the bigger drums too.

If a person is savvy enough to replace a drum brake they sure as heck are smart enough to change to disc brakes. In fact disc are easier with fewer moving parts

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
Drums are the same.

Specularius
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Installation? The brakes them selves no more difficult than replacing drum brake assemblies. The hard part is locating the actuator and plumbing the brakes. You should be able to rent the proper flare tools. A good quality kit will come with everything you need.

I was making that statement because not everyone has the mechanical ability to perform the installation themself and would need to factor that cost in.

If going with the bigger brake shoes don't Forget the bigger drums too.
2015 F-350 DRW 6.7 Scorpion Diesel Reese Ford Hitch
2014 Grand Design Momentum 355TH

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jimfromvirginia wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Instead of spending a few dollars on new old technology, why not upgrade to disc brakes and tow happy and secure in its braking ability.

Sounds reasonable, but staying with electric brakes for simplicity. Looking at these Never Adjust, looking for opinions.

Look at the money you are spending on the electric now subtract that from the disk brake conversion.

Do the conversion and I will guarantee you will wish you had done it sooner! With disks no joke its like the trailer is not back there.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jimfromvirginia wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Instead of spending a few dollars on new old technology, why not upgrade to disc brakes and tow happy and secure in its braking ability.

Sounds reasonable, but staying with electric brakes for simplicity. Looking at these Never Adjust, looking for opinions.

Look at the money you are spending on the electric now subtract that from the disk brake conversion.

Do the conversion and I will guarantee you will wish you had done it sooner! With disks no joke its like the trailer is not back there.

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Once you have towed with electro/hydraulic disks, you will NEVER go back.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Jimfromvirginia
Explorer
Explorer
alboy wrote:
The 6750 axel rating is the same that our Newmar Cypress has, actually a derated 7000 lb axel .They come with the smaller brake assembly 12x2. I upgraded mine to the larger brake with no issues.The fiver is approx 15k, scale weighed.I pull with a 2015 DMAX with the integrated brake set at 4 only and have loads of stopping power .I went from a P2 controller on our 06 Ram to the integrated controller on the 15 and the difference was day and night with no other changes.

Thanks for the help. Now down to Lippert or Dexter electric brake assemblies from Trailer Superstore. Anybody got experience with either of these? Also, when you went with the larger brake, was it worth the extra expense and which one did you go with?
2012 Keystone Montana 3455SA towed by 2009 Ford F450 4x4 Diesel

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer

Specularius
Explorer
Explorer
I recently got a quote for my trailer for disc brakes with two 8K pound axles from stopyourtrailer. It was for $1600 with a lift gate delivery, everything is strapped to a pallet. That does not include instillation.
2015 F-350 DRW 6.7 Scorpion Diesel Reese Ford Hitch
2014 Grand Design Momentum 355TH