cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Durability of fifth wheel vs fifth wheel toy hauler?

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Iโ€™m looking into getting a trailer of some type. Itโ€™s probably going to be a fifth wheel of some type. I have a F450 6.4, so Iโ€™m covered for power.

The question is what kind of durability can I expect for older fifth wheel toy haulers vs fifth wheels? The fifth wheels Iโ€™d be considering include Newmar, Excel, Alpenlite, Holiday Rambler, and DRV.

Feel free to mention which TH brands to consider and which to leave off the list. Iโ€™m not at all interested in buying new and wouldnโ€™t have a problem with changing furniture etc to do a minirebuild as long as the structure is solid.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member
15 REPLIES 15

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't mind doing work I'd look for something solid in the 5-10 year old range. I can tell a LOT about the RV just by talking to the owner. Someone that does their own work and cares about it is obvious.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Nicodemus
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a Spartan toy hauler 6 months ago. Only thing I don't like is there is no dedicated dining area, but we got rid of the LR sofa and fixed that. This is the best as far as insulation goes that we looked at. The extra beds are good for company. Big holding tanks and a generator are a plus.

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
I personally don't own a 5th wheel but I go out with a few friends that do. Today's Toy Haulers with the slide out's and undated furniture are like a house on wheels with more luxury's . I pull a (small) 19'ft Toy Hauler myself.

Check out this site: https://www.crankyape.com/default.asp?pg=DisItems&Cat=6
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
The advantage of the TH is almost all will have bigger tanks and a built in generator.

Y-Guy
jimh425, the furniture in the rear of a Toy hauler really doesn't add to any stability. I can't say I've seen issues where the door makes it any less stable, assuming you don't buy the super light types. I have seen more issues, lately, where ramp doors don't hold up to the weight of the toys being loaded. But that is not that common either.

I believe that a solid toy hauler built 10 years ago that has been used a fair amount will still be solid today, if it was taken care of or it will show warning signs. Things like doors being out of alignment, soft floors, etc.

You've been around long enough I'm sure you know about doing a detailed PDI before you buy.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dirtclods wrote:
jimh425 You said ~ getting a trailer of some type. What will you uses be? Are you mechanical inclined?

Yes, Iโ€™m capable of repair/modifications of an RV. If I wasnโ€™t, I probably wouldnโ€™t be looking at older models. Also retired, so I donโ€™t have to optimize my time to avoid doing repairs.

As far as uses go, Iโ€™d use a toy hauler like many generally use toy haulers. I have a UTV and two street bikes. I might also buy dirt bikes. I like the flexibility of the space, but itโ€™s obviously not going to be as comfortable as a fifth wheel.

I can pull my utility trailer behind my TC, but my TC doesnโ€™t have enough sitting spaces for longer trips. I can forsee the possibility of doing multiweek trips along with my DW and two dogs and possibly grand kids. The TC is fine of a night or two. Not so much for longer trips.

As far as brands go, Iโ€™m more familiar with better brands of fiftth wheels than toy haulers. I know most brands donโ€™t make a toy hauler. Iโ€™m wondering about the rear doors for instance on toy haulers and lack of furniture. My thought is that furniture would help support walls while doors will make the end of the RV less stable. Could be wrong, so thatโ€™s why I was asking about durability.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 You said ~ getting a trailer of some type. What will you uses be? Are you mechanical inclined?
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
They last as long as you take care of them. Keep water out and maintain them, they will last longer than you. Even the cheapest trailer can be kept virtually a lifetime.

So when shopping, at this age range, initiak quality means nothing. Unit that was left to rot will rot, doesn't matter if it's Forest River, newmar, etc.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
rdhetrick wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
What difference does it make? Many will be at least 15 years old in the case of Alpenlite and HR. At that age overall condition is your number 1 proprity. A thorough inspection and after purchase plan on several thousand dollars to get it road worthy. Tires, springs, spring hangers, and appliances all come to mind as possible immediate replacements along with the roof.

This. At that age, it's more about how well it was taken care of and in what conditions rather than original build quality.

^^^this
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Y-Guy
I agree with valhalla360's post.

I would add that the Toy Haulers will be heavier and have heavier pin weights. Generally they will have larger holding tanks as well, better if you are spending time boondocking.

Of the brands you mentioned the DRV toy hauler would probably be at the top of the list. I'm not sure that some of these brands even made a toy hauler; Newmar, Excel, Alpenlite, Holiday Rambler.

I would take a look at the Desert Fox line if you can find one of their old 5ers. Also check out the New Horizon line up. Of the mass produced the Jayco and KZ seemed to have done good for some.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Buy what you NEED and leave the durability aspect out the window.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
What difference does it make? Many will be at least 15 years old in the case of Alpenlite and HR. At that age overall condition is your number 1 proprity. A thorough inspection and after purchase plan on several thousand dollars to get it road worthy. Tires, springs, spring hangers, and appliances all come to mind as possible immediate replacements along with the roof.

This. At that age, it's more about how well it was taken care of and in what conditions rather than original build quality.
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer

2PawsRiver
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the Toy Hauler has a heavier built frame.