cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

companion slider noisy/ doesnt slide well

retired-tech
Explorer
Explorer
I have upgraded to a Ram 2500 with a 5.7 gas engine. With this new truck the wife would have no hitch rails in the bed so it was decided to install a b&w gooseneck hitch and a companion slider. it has been in for a year and the ball release is rusted to the point that it is hard to release and the slide doesn't move smoothly and makes a ton of noise, sounds like dragging a wrecked car off the tow truck. really happy with the way the truck pulls the trailer but having trouble living with the hitch. Any suggestions?
2014 North Country teardrop in wood
2009 Cougar 320 SRX
10 REPLIES 10

B92F
Explorer
Explorer
Bobroham wrote:
Did you "lube" with spray on like WD-40?

Try using something thicker like marine grease.

Just used the "Blaster" spray at the moment, an engineer friend thought it might help and it did. I plan on taking the hitch out of the truck this weekend and as you suggested use something a little thicker on the rollers.
2022 Ford F250 Super Duty
2020 Cherokee Arctic Wolf 285DRL4
B&W 20K Companion

Bobroham
Explorer
Explorer
Did you "lube" with spray on like WD-40?

Try using something thicker like marine grease.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Kroil works well, so I've been told.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

steveksfc
Explorer
Explorer
I don't own a slider but have helped several at campgrounds whose wouldn't slide either. I mixed an old concoction made up with engine oil, transmission fluid and some cleaning solvent we got from a auto repair shop. sprayed that on all moving parts and let it set for an hour or so and kept moving it back and forth and continued to apply more as needed. We sprayed White Grease into the rollers afterwards and so far they are still working. The concoction I made up was what we used to make for frozen bolts and nuts when I worked in a repair shop where we repaired cars, trucks and anything that would make it into the door. Some were so skuzzy one would wonder what they did with them. If you can find it PB Blaster works real good also. About same thing as Blaster Penetrating Catalyst B92E talked about.

B92F
Explorer
Explorer
On the 17th we sprayed some Blaster Penetrating Catalyst on the rails and around the rollers, and it's been sitting since then. Today after having to get a larger hex wrench (5/16) I tried to loosen the bolts on the side for the rollers. Couldn't get them to budge. However it does slide a lot easier than before, not quite able to move it with one finger but definitely a 90% improvement. So I may not mess with trying to loosen the rollers and just spray a little lube up on the rollers for now. My hitch is exposed to the weather 24/7 at the moment, will be looking for some type of cover for the hitch since a bed cover is not in the budget at this time.

If the OP's has been exposed, you might try spraying your rust penetrator of choice and see if that will loosen things up a bit.
B&W 20K Companion

B92F
Explorer
Explorer
Just talked to B&W and they suggested loosening the bolts on the rollers about half a turn, and the center torque bold to about 55-60 lbs. I'll give this a try when I get home this evening and report back.
B&W 20K Companion

retired-tech
Explorer
Explorer
I did ask them and was told to put some lube on the rails and lower the center bolt torque. didn't work.
2014 North Country teardrop in wood
2009 Cougar 320 SRX

B92F
Explorer
Explorer
I'm having the same issue with the slide part on a hitch we installed a couple of months ago and have only used two times. I sent off an e-mail to B&W yesterday, got a reply asking for pictures and video of the problem, which I will send as soon as weather permits. I'll post a response when I get one.
B&W 20K Companion

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Call B&W and ask them. They are =great= on after-sales CS.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Have you lubed it with what the hitch makers says to use.
I've owned two different slider brands over the years and alway completely disassemble the jaws and sliding portion and lube them. Works like a hot knife through butter.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides