cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bump on 2019 Eagle?

cm2785
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys, I am purchasing a brand new Eagle and I’ve noticed this protrusion or bump on the side of it. I know these rigs aren’t perfect but I also don’t want to run into trouble down the road. Is this just par for the course or something out of the ordinary? Thanks!https://www.dropbox.com/s/dgevc1mblvg28qn/IMG_0494.JPG?dl=0
41 REPLIES 41

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since the OP has had numerous replies as to the "problem" with his proposed purchase, and has evidently decided to go ahead with it, then I think 5 pages of response is enough. Time to put this one to bed.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

cm2785
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
I'm sure Camping world and Jayco has your back (even if they aren't returning your calls) and would never let you down in case in the near future, your bump becomes a crack or worse after the warranty period is over - if structural issues are even covered. ROFLMAO!

CW loves a customer like you - after you leave, they're all in the break room slapping high fives...

BTW, my brand new 2018 fifth wheel doesn't have any bumps, protrusions cracks or any other defect the salesman tried talking me into thinking it was OK because it happens on some percentage of units made. IMO, if the unit I'm spending my hard earned money on fell into that percentage, nothing would make me spend it.

You never say what model this is - what is it?

Oh and the model I wanted also wasn't in the state. My dealer had one shipped. Guess CW only wants to sell what they have on their lot.

Lots of luck

It’s a Jayco Eagle 330RSTS. The bump is really more of a wave because if it was an actual bump you would be able to see it looking straight forward, but honestly, if something so minor was to actually be a problem in the future and get worse then these rigs are held together by a thread... I could see if it was something poking through but a bit of a wave or slight dip in the fiberglass causing a future problem is probably a slighter chance than me being dead in 5 years from a heart attack..

cm2785
Explorer
Explorer
By the way, the second one was from Camping World.. and your bagging on them but their manager was the guy who told me he’d love to sell me his unit but in his opinion the tiny little bump I’m seeing is not only common but never an issue. When the place that’s trying to sell you another unit tells you the issue your worried about on the other deales unit is a nothing that tells me at least that Camping world store is run by a stand up guy.

cm2785
Explorer
Explorer
I’m not dealing with Camping World first off, second, I don’t think I want to pay a few more grand for another unit when the issue I’m talking about is so minor it doesn’t even show up when looking straight at it... who’s to say the next unit wouldn’t have something else wrong with it? I went out on their lot and can find a wave or a bump like this on almost every unit out there... so I think you guys are thinking this is a big bump or something because the picture I took is from a super high mega pixel and makes it look horrible... with that same camera I can shoot (and did) the side of a few other rigs and it shows huge waves and ripples down the sides of them yet in person they are smooth as silk.. the bottom line is, I’m not going to sweat it when it’s so minor and I’m saving thousands of dollars over getting a unit shipped in. Keep in mind being from So Cal it’s near 4 grand to ship another one in.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
cm2785 wrote:
When multiple dealers who know they aren’t getting a sale are telling me they see this on 70% of the rigs and they never become an issue I have to start thinking logically and decide whether I want to pay thousands of dollars more finding another rig for a slight bump you can’t even see looking straight at it... at this point I’m betting if I did spend thousands and ship another one in with my luck it would have two.. and the funny thing is every dealer I called about shipping one in warned me there was a fair chance their rigs would have the same issue.

70%? Ok go with that. Glad on 4 new trailers since 2009, an 09, 11, 13 and a 17 I have been in the 30% every time. I said earlier its common as I have seen it on some units on lots, but 70%....LOL.....thats Dealer Horse Feces.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure Camping world and Jayco has your back (even if they aren't returning your calls) and would never let you down in case in the near future, your bump becomes a crack or worse after the warranty period is over - if structural issues are even covered. ROFLMAO!

CW loves a customer like you - after you leave, they're all in the break room slapping high fives...

BTW, my brand new 2018 fifth wheel doesn't have any bumps, protrusions cracks or any other defect the salesman tried talking me into thinking it was OK because it happens on some percentage of units made. IMO, if the unit I'm spending my hard earned money on fell into that percentage, nothing would make me spend it.

You never say what model this is - what is it?

Oh and the model I wanted also wasn't in the state. My dealer had one shipped. Guess CW only wants to sell what they have on their lot.

Lots of luck
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

cm2785
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Ken, I’ve been doing a lot of research on this.. keep in mind, if you look down the side of any RV you will see how wavy they are now a days. I have a 96 Bounder 34j and that is as smooth as glass. This little bump is not much more than one of those waves, just a little more. Clearly it looks like a little piece of debris got in between the wall. From what I’ve seen this happens on quite a lot of these. This “bump” I’m complaining about is probably something 90% of you guys wouldn’t even ever notice unless your walking down your trailer gun sighting everywhere... even then it might have been overlooked as just a typical wave in the sides of all these rigs. If you take a picture of any new rig with a super high mega pixel camera you will see a huge amount of waves you don’t even see in person..

I am dead set on this floorplan and this is the only one in the state. It’s a few thousand cheaper than any other one I’ve found that can be shipped in or ordered, and they took an extra $500 off and noted it with Jayco and on the due bill.. I’ve been in the RV world for enough decades to know they are never perfect and I’ve gotten a good learning on little issues like this being super common. When multiple dealers who know they aren’t getting a sale are telling me they see this on 70% of the rigs and they never become an issue I have to start thinking logically and decide whether I want to pay thousands of dollars more finding another rig for a slight bump you can’t even see looking straight at it... at this point I’m betting if I did spend thousands and ship another one in with my luck it would have two.. and the funny thing is every dealer I called about shipping one in warned me there was a fair chance their rigs would have the same issue.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
New RVs are not suppose to have bumps and dents on the sides. They should be smooth. Apparently since Thor has taken over Jayco, the quality is taking a back seat.

Personally, Id look for another trailer, but if you are dead set on this one, get a letter form the sealer describing the bump in detail...size, heoght and dimensions to locate it. Have the dealer and Jayco warranty that the bump will not get larger and has no structural effect on the unit. If the bump worsens, Jayco will be responsible for returning the unit to the factory for a repair.

My 5 year old NuWa HitchHiker Champagne does not have any bumps on the side walls and the roof is flat and no bubbles or puckers.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Good to see you've done your due diligence on this AND that the dealer's being reasonable about it. Most of all, it seems that you can go into the deal feeling good about the rig =and= the dealer. Post up some pics when you pick it up! 🙂

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

cm2785
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys I thought I’d give an update, as I hate when reading a big thread and the author doesn’t bother to conclude it... I’ve looked all over the state and there are NO other rigs in this floorplan. I went back and looked at the issue again and the picture actually makes it look worse. You really can’t even see it unless you look from the side and see the glare from the clear.. I checked to see if it was a screw (I didn’t think it was because it’s not round it’s oblong) but it’s behind the shower and you can see the plugs in the shower where the screws went and were plugged up the plugs... I spoke with Jayco who was really no help, they just wanted to ask questions not give any info.. but I found a really cool manager at a Camping World who had the only other one of these rigs in the state and it’s not even here yet (it was just built and is on its way) and he told me “Look, I’d love to sell you my unit but I can tell you these little bumps and flaws are probably on 70% of these rigs sadly. I can tell you that they never turn out to be anything, and they don’t get worse. If it was cracking or you could see something protruding that would be another story”. I then called another dealer that sells these and he was super nice. He told me you will find a flaw on every single unit if you look hard enough. He allowed me to send him a picture of it and stayed on the phone with me and when he got it he said, oh yeah, I see these all the time, it’s probably a piece of debris when they vacuum bonded it and it will never change. He told me if it was his, he wouldn’t worry about it in the least.

Anyway, I was already getting the unit for $45,000 (it’s a 2019 with an MSRP of $63,833) which was a couple grand cheaper than anywhere else and now he’s marking it on the due bull just Incase something happens and giving me another $500 off. I have been all over and couldn’t find any other rig I liked besides the Jayco Eagle. It’s exactly what I wanted so I decided to live with a tiny little bump that you can’t even see looking straight at it... otherwise I’m looking at thousands more and a month or more of waiting, plus this dealer is 3 minutes from my house vs the other place being 4 hours.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
cm2785 wrote:
The dealer says they have no more of these in stock, but this flaw is nothing and many of them have these issues. They said it would never get worse and if I wanted I could have them fix it by cutting it out and refiberglassing it or live with it or order one and wait 11 weeks.

OK, so the dealer says "it's no big deal" and "others have this same issue", then ask them to put it in writing and that, should something end up protruding through the side during the entire time you own it, that they will fix it for free. Personally, I'd also alert Jayco on this and keep them abreast of the issue as time goes on. If the dealer won't sign something, then tell them that a price re-negotiation is in order, since it would likely cost several thousand dollars to fix, down the road. No matter what, the deal's not done until you sign acceptance on it AFTER your full inspection. Given this, I would get a video camera and video the entire rig =before= you even do the PDI and get as invasive as you can, short of unscrewing panels. Maybe even get, or borrow, a flexible inspection camera that has recording capability. It's =your= money, don't p!ss it away by accepting something that's not up to par.

Again, personally, I'd probably start looking around the country at other dealers that might have one.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you push on that spot, does the panel move, or is there something hard underneath the spot?

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
It might not bother you, or me, but could possibly hurt resale in the future.

cm2785
Explorer
Explorer
Any flaw would bother me. But if it is in fact just superficial I hate to walk away from the rig at the $3,000 or more savings I’m getting vs the only other one in the state (which I would be buying sight unseen because it was just built Friday and is still on its way here).. so far I’m just waiting on the build sheet for the new one and if optioned the same which it should be because the MSRP is identical I’m planning on calling the bank and telling them to cancel the check and make a new one to these guys... but in the back of my head I’m wondering if this stupid bump you can’t even really see unless you look at an angle to see the reflection in the clear is worth all this.. especially when the guys on the Jayco boards are saying this is super common and they have had their rigs for 5 plus years and the issue is identical to the day they bought it.. my fear is if mine is something else.. I am going to call Jayco tomorrow and send them the picture though. If they laugh and say I’m lucky that’s all I got I may feel a little better 🙂