cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer brakes

wickedstang03
Explorer
Explorer
Ive got a question when applying my manual override lever on my tekonsha p3 controller should my 5th wheels wheels lock up if controllr is set to 13v.... Ive had my brakes adjusted and inspected and I still cant get them to lock up to set my controller per the instructions and then back off to just before lock up.. Trailer weighs 11klbs
21 REPLIES 21

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Good ideas...I would add to the amps reply is you may get a full 12v volts at the brake but it may not get enough amps to get a lockup. I bought a used 21k gn triaxle flatdeck trailer. Very weak brakes. Checked all the brakes for full voltage and amps. Found on axle that the lead wire was frayed badly with just a couple of strands remaining allowing 12v but very little amps. Fixed all my grounds and eliminated crimp/clamshell connections. Finally got the brakes to lock with a full load. I did this to all my trailers before putting them in service.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I applied my brakes manually at about 45 mph and released them at about 15-20 mph. I did this every 2 or 3 miles so they didn't get too hot. Dexter says to do this 40 or so times. I did this maybe 10 times and they seemed to start working pretty good.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

wickedstang03
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
RCMAN46 wrote:
If your brakes were way out of adjustment then you probably are not getting full contact between the shoes and drums.

It will take perhaps a 1000 miles for the shoes to wear in to match the drums. Then the brakes will need to be adjusted again.
I agree. My brakes are the newer self adjusting type. These are designed to adjust them selves when going forward. I recently had a wheel bearing/brake service at a dealer. When leaving I manually tried my brakes and they did almost nothing. I used the recommended method from Dexter of manually applying them many times while driving to burnish them in. After 10 or so applications they once again started working well. I would recommend this.

B.O.

So how Exactly did you manually apply them? Just activate the manual lever while driving alot to heat an up and Basicly form them?

Freeman2004
Explorer
Explorer
Picked up our new to us tt yesterday. First time hooked to the new p3 controller and while it was raining, when i hit the manual lever full on, all 4 wheels locked up at 14.9 amps.
Now, I know, because I am the male exception that reads directions, that I need to figure out the correct voltage that almost but does not lock them up and set up a custome setting for my tt.
Good news is I drove it home 100 miles in pouring rain with no issues.
Scott & Karen
2002 Layton Scout 251
2004 GMC Envoy, a Burgundy Beauty.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
RCMAN46 wrote:
If your brakes were way out of adjustment then you probably are not getting full contact between the shoes and drums.

It will take perhaps a 1000 miles for the shoes to wear in to match the drums. Then the brakes will need to be adjusted again.
I agree. My brakes are the newer self adjusting type. These are designed to adjust them selves when going forward. I recently had a wheel bearing/brake service at a dealer. When leaving I manually tried my brakes and they did almost nothing. I used the recommended method from Dexter of manually applying them many times while driving to burnish them in. After 10 or so applications they once again started working well. I would recommend this.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
Do you know for sure that they are not covered with grease? Brand new trailers are notorious for having grease on the drums due to dealer doing pre delivery greasing of the bearings improperly using the E Z Lube. If they have grease on them, no amount of adjustment will matter.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
My guess is poor ground connections. I would re wire the brakes with at least 14 guage wire.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
P3 set to 13 volts? I may need to re-read my instructions but I thought it was a gain setting not a voltage. OK if set to max gain (13 volts?) you may not get lockup on dry level pavement but the brakes should pull you to a stop very fast. You should really feel it. What boost setting are you using?

If they seem weak I would first check the amp draw at each wheel. You should have close to 3 amps measured with your clamp-on DC ammeter while your buddy activates the manual lever. This is done while stopped.

Assuming that works you may need to pull the drums and inspect.

I also assume you have already correctly adjusted your brakes and run them in a few times if trailer has been sitting is storage.

Worst case start looking at disk brakes if the trailer continues to push the truck above 50 mph.

wickedstang03
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you guy! This is my first "big" trailer all my others have always loxked up but they were never over 7k lbs... That was also with a different tow vehicle as well.. Just doesnt feel like it has enough braking power over 50 mph if the emergency lever is being pulled....

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of the time, the only way to get them to "Lock Up" is if you're on gravel or loose stones.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
Neither of my trailers I've owned had the brakes lock-up when the manual override was pressed. You feel a definite pull and ultimately the trailer and truck were brought to a stop but not lock-up

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:

My guess the dealer still does not have them adjusted correctly.
They need to be adjusted to lockup and back off no more than 4 clicks. Otherwise you get what you got.

Not sure where you got the 4 click information, the brakes are to be adjusted to eliminate excess travel. Drum brakes have been adjusted the same way for nearly a century.

Dexter says this:
With a screwdriver or standard adjusting tool, rotate the star
wheel of the adjuster assembly to expand the brake shoes.
Adjust the brake shoes out until the pressure of the linings
against the drum makes the wheel very difficult to turn.
Note: For drop spindle axles, a modified adjusting tool may
be necessary.
Then rotate the star wheel in the opposite direction until the
wheel turns freely with a slight lining drag.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Did you leave the truck with them so that the trailer was tested with your specific tow vehicle?
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk