cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

secureing sofa in slide

MissouriCamper
Explorer
Explorer
I'm planning on removing my dinette and replacing it with a recpro 70" jack knife sofa. Anyone that has done this did you secure the sofa to the floor or did you just let it sit as is. There is something about using L brackets on their site but the information they provide is extremely sketchy to the point of being invisible.
Mike & Shirley
2009 F250 SD Supercab 6.4 w/3.55
Ford Brake Control, Equalizer
2018 Flagstaff Microlite 25FKS
11 REPLIES 11

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
stripit wrote:
We just removed the sofa from our rig and it was held down to the wooden flooring with lag bolts. Then there were large bolts for the seat belts that went into steel framing.I would use some way to secure the unit to the floor.

Probably bolted down because you have a MH and with seatbelts, it's considered at least technically as seating while driving.
It also can turn into a large, heavy, flying missile in case of an accident if it's not secured. That's not nearly as important in a TT/5er.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
stripit wrote:
We just removed the sofa from our rig and it was held down to the wooden flooring with lag bolts. Then there were large bolts for the seat belts that went into steel framing.I would use some way to secure the unit to the floor.

Probably bolted down because you have a MH and with seatbelts, it's considered at least technically as seating while driving.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

MissouriCamper
Explorer
Explorer
jdc1 wrote:
A jacknife sofa is not the same as a regular sofa or recliner. They are top heavy. They need to be bolted in place. The plywood subfloor in slides is 1". Use lag bolts. The framing under the plywood is usually 1" also, so, if you penetrate the plywood, do so no more than 3/4".

Thank you, very informative and useful information. I appreciate you along with the others, taking the time to respond to my post.
Mike & Shirley
2009 F250 SD Supercab 6.4 w/3.55
Ford Brake Control, Equalizer
2018 Flagstaff Microlite 25FKS

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
A jacknife sofa is not the same as a regular sofa or recliner. They are top heavy. They need to be bolted in place. The plywood subfloor in slides is 1". Use lag bolts. The framing under the plywood is usually 1" also, so, if you penetrate the plywood, do so no more than 3/4".

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
stripit wrote:

OP is asking about a 5th wheel, only our kitchen table is secured, chairs, futon, recliner all just sit there..

Same with our FW. Only the table is screwed down.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
stripit wrote:

OP is asking about a 5th wheel, only our kitchen table is secured, chairs, futon, recliner all just sit there..
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
We pulled the jackknife sofa out of ours and replaced it with a dual reclining loveseat about 4 years ago and it's not fastened down. The original one wasn't either. No problems yet.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
The ones we have had always just sat there with nothing holding them in place.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a 5er and both the reclining chairs and sofa that is in a slide just sit there. When I am on the road and close the slides the sofa and chairs are penned in and can't move.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
An unsecured sofa wouldnโ€™t be wise IMOโ€ฆnot that it needs to be overdone however.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad