cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Residential Frig doors lock

M_R_E_
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone DIY a lock for a double door frig with freezer on the bottom to keep from opening when traveling ?
toolmaker
12 REPLIES 12

Williebago
Explorer
Explorer
I too used the reversible hinge hole on the front of our fridge by using an eye-bolt. Quarter twist and it locks both the freezer and refrigerator door since it is located in the gap between the two doors.
[purple]WILLIEBAGO[/purple]

2019 Newmar Baystar 3626, F53, 252"WB with 6.8L gas engine
2003 Jeep Liberty Limited Toad
2 cockapoos, Jordy and Nelson, who love RVing

[purple]Go K-State Wildcats[/purple]

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
On my residential fridge the hinges were reversible. for the non hinged side I cut a piece of metal and made an L bracket, used the hinge mounting holes in the body of the fridge to mount it and it protruded out from the door with a hole in it for a pin to hold the door shut. Piece of pie

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
We Velcro now - across the two fridge doors (we don't have handles). But the doors still came open once.
The bungee that is a loop with a ball would work well with fridge door handles.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

M_R_E_
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't a problem with the frig doors. I bungy them and a piece of pool noodle through the door handles. I stopped the freezer door from opening with a telescoping pole brace from freezer door to table base. I just wanted a simpler way.I can't justify the price for the freezer fixer, over priced. I can make my own way cheaper.
toolmaker

Cummins12V98 wrote:
Velcro strap the two handles together.

YUP ^^^^. This has to be by far the cheapest, easiest answer.... I used that for a few years, went to pack up and could NOT find mine, or any spares... I found an 12" rubber coated hose wrap like here - click

use that now, with a spare piece of velcro strap waiting in the wings
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Velcro strap the two handles together.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Amazon has several types of frig door locks. Check them out. I'm using a "generic" one from Amazon right now.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cptnvideo wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
If this company makes one for your model of refrigerator (which you didn't mention), it's the best there is:

Link

Rob

Rats. They show our Whirlpool model, but indicate it is not available. Anybody have contact info for the company so I can contact them directly?

https://www.recubed.solutions/
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Second Chance wrote:
If this company makes one for your model of refrigerator (which you didn't mention), it's the best there is:

Link

Rob

Rats. They show our Whirlpool model, but indicate it is not available. Anybody have contact info for the company so I can contact them directly?
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:

Link

Rob
And the customer service is WOW. I broke my original, no fault of the product, and he shipped me a new one free of charge.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cut a piece of plywood to fit behind the handles to secure everything. Various other solutions have been posted, do a search.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II

Link

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015