cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need help identifying light bulbs.

Limoges_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to upgrade my lights to LEDs. When I went to the RV dealer, they wanted between 15 and 20 bucks for each bulb!
I have decided to look online as they are costing around 2 bucks each. If pay dine that at the RV dealer, but not up to 10 times the price.

My issue is one of bulb identification.
I have 1 of the big bulb: it's for outside. I have 18 of the small bulbs.

Any one know what types of bulbs these are?

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum limit of 640px maximum width.

Just learning all about trailering with something longer than my 17 1/2' boat or pop-up tent trailer.

I accept any and all advice you can give me, and I hope to be able to help in my limited capacity. ๐Ÿ™‚
24 REPLIES 24

Limoges_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
tenbear wrote:
Just as important as the number of LEDs is the type of LEDs. Your lights look like they use 3528 LEDs, also called 1210. If you want brighter lights you could try 5050 LEDs. They are about 2x as bright and draw about 2x the current. So a 24-5050 paddle would be about 2x as bright as a 24-3528 paddle.

ah, OK. Nice to know! ๐Ÿ™‚

I see that the 5630 LEDs are even brighter - I think I found the one for outside: 48 x 5630 SMD LEDs for around 3 bucks and change each. Nice! ๐Ÿ˜„
http://www.amazon.ca/White-5630SMD-Light-Interior-Festoon/dp/B00PBOYBZA/ref=sr_1_188?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qi...
Just learning all about trailering with something longer than my 17 1/2' boat or pop-up tent trailer.

I accept any and all advice you can give me, and I hope to be able to help in my limited capacity. ๐Ÿ™‚

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Just as important as the number of LEDs is the type of LEDs. Your lights look like they use 3528 LEDs, also called 1210. If you want brighter lights you could try 5050 LEDs. They are about 2x as bright and draw about 2x the current. So a 24-5050 paddle would be about 2x as bright as a 24-3528 paddle.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Limoges_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
So I decided to bite the bullet and purchase some bulbs. I had no idea what the colour temperature meant, so instead of going all out and buy one style only, I divided the job into two different bulbs.

First of all, the style of bulbs I needed for everything but the outside light is the T-10. Also, the type of bulb (as opposed the the type of LEDs in them) was restricted to the small paddle of 24 LEDs or the bulb shaped style with 28 LEDs: I didn't know if the larger paddles (36 to 70 LEDs) would fit, or would be too much light, etc..

The paddle ones had a warm white (~3000K I discovered later because I didn't research what colour temperature was before ordering).

The bulb ones had a blueish colour (~5000K) light - very much like poor office lighting - you know the kind: the kind that eventually drives one pe4rson crazy enough to throw a computer through a window. ๐Ÿ˜„

Before buying anything online, I checked at the local RV dealer, and was I ever surprised!!! Bulbs were selling for $15.00 - $19.00 each!!! And the $15.00 bulbs were if you bought a 6 pack! ๐Ÿ˜„ yeah, riiiiiight.
So I decided to price check them online. Sure enough, the prices online were less than a dollar per bulb!!! I found bulbs in 10-packs, priced at 89 cents each. Delivered to my door. No taxes. So, I bought a 10 pack of each style, and for less than $20.00 Now, if the local RV dealer was selling them for a couple bucks, or even 5 bucks each, I may have at least tried a couple from them. But this price increase was waaaaaay too much to ignore. Sorry, but I don't support local economy to this extent, since the bulbs are all made in the same factory. In other words, I don't want to line the pockets of greedy middlemen.

This is what I got:

Now I can tell you that in every place other than the under cabinet light in the kitchen, I prefer the paddle style light. I think my office light explanation sufficiently argues that point. The paddle style ones were made of warm white (~3000K) LEDs which give off a yellowish light that is very close to regular light bulbs (remember those?). As far as the illumination quality, I find the light is a bit too low for full illumination (for reading, etc...), but perfect for general illumination (hallway lighting, etc...).

Now that I know T-10 fits, I am going to purchase the more expensive and larger lights for the areas I want lots of light from.
I want to install a 48 LED panel above the dining room table, and a 70 LED panel for the exterior light. I may install one or two exterior lights on the driver's side of the trailer so I can see what I'm doing at night (that's where all the mechanical stuff is).

I'm not even going to bother with the local RV dealers (BTW, all 3 places I checked were dong the same scam with the bulbs. When I asked them about it, they said that with shipping and duty, etc... their prices were too high. I countered with an invoice showing all things were paid for including shipping for less than a buck a bulb, and the guy shrugged his shoulders)... Back to Amazon!

Light panels cost more because they not only have more LEDs in them, but they come with 3 different connectors so that you can fit most applications. I found these for under $2.00 each, delivered.

I'll add the link and picture for the 70 LED panel. ๐Ÿ™‚

I also found a 120 VAC LED bulb that is a bit brighter than a 100W standard bulb. I think that would be great for a trouble light. ๐Ÿ™‚

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum limit of 640px maximum width.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I've found that Don's bulbs is a pretty good reference for everything about bulbs.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
So how do you get the "click for full size image" to work? I didn't find any reference to it.

Edit: Never mind, I figured it out. Pretty slick.

Limoges_Camper
Explorer
Explorer

I used this application, but all it does is resize the image - there is no way to click on it to make it larger.

Limoges_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
camperpaul wrote:
For resizing (both dimensions and file size) one of our moderators (1492) has written this app:

RV.NET: Photo Upload & Post

Easy as 3.14159265

Haha! I love this "Easy as 3.14159265" ๐Ÿ™‚

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
I have two objections to large photos ...

1. When the width is too great, I have to scroll to see the whole thing and to read the text on the page.

2. Frequently the file size is too big resulting in long load times and excessive data usage.

My browser (Firefox) has the capability of showing "image info" and sometimes I see photos with "width=640" and a file size of greater than 50 Mega-Bytes.

1492's app covers both of the above concerns. In addition it allows you to set a link to the full sized image just in case it is desirable to display more detail.

Try it here:

Click For Full-Size Image.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
My objection to using a larger photo is that it causes the entire page to be wider than the screen, so you have to scroll back and forth to read any text on the entire page.

Limoges_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Wow: thanks for the feedback guys!

The picture resizing is too easy to do. I saw where 640 pixels was the max but with modern devices 1000 pixels is ok. Plus it gives the viewer the ability to see detail.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

No need to resize. Just adjust the width to 450 or below when posting and all will be well.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
camperpaul wrote:
For resizing (both dimensions and file size) one of our moderators (1492) has written this app:

Easy as 3.14159265

This is a great app, I use it all the time. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, it doesn't allow me to change someone else's post. Only a moderator can do that

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer

Easy as 3.14159265
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Dakota98 wrote:
tenbear wrote:
Moderator: thank you for resizing the picture. ๐Ÿ™‚
These oversize pics drive me crazy.

Here's a free online link for re-sizing your pics. I use it frequently.

http://www.resizemypicture.com/resizer/resizer-main.php

I have no problem resizing my pics, its pics that are posted causing the thread to be to wide for the screen and making all the text too wide.

I tried your address and all I got was a blank screen.