cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lock on Bed Lift

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has anybody ever put a lock on a lifting bed? I'm thinking of those locks that are released by a magnet, so it doesn't look like it's locked.
14 REPLIES 14

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
mobeewan wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Magnetic locks require power to keep them locked.

Not all magnetic locks require electricity.

Rev-A-Lock

NICE!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
goducks10 wrote:
I think I would try and make a false floor. Might be a PITA to get to your firearms but if you're just doing it for competition then it wouldn't be that often.

Interesting thought, and you're completely correct, won't need immediate access.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Not all magnetic locks require electricity.

Rev-A-Lock

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I think I would try and make a false floor. Might be a PITA to get to your firearms but if you're just doing it for competition then it wouldn't be that often.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are firearms competitors. We intend to add that into our travels when we go semi full time. This last winter in my TT, I left most in the bed of the truck, but that's not without issues either.

the under bed storage looked like a good location in the 5th wheel.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
philh wrote:
There's a reason I want the magnet lock, it's not visible, and a potential thief would hopefully not see the lock and give up. Open to other suggestions, but I know a "lock" is an open invitation for further investigation.

What are you going to do if there is no power like parked at WalMart and you leave for dinner for example?

Or you have something in mind that works differently?

I think perhaps they mean the magnet-activated anti-toddler cabinet locks, where you hold a magnet over the mechanism to get it to disengage.

I do agree with many others that there doesn't seem to be much practical reason to have a lock there as described for security. I can see two reasons to want a locked area inside an RV. One is to keep little kids out of dangerous stuff and teens out of the S'mores chocolate, where actual security is not much of a concern. This doesn't seem to be what the poster has in mind.

The other, and I think misguided, is to keep thieves who have already broken in from valuable stuff. I'd guess that, unless you have really, really valuable stuff, the damage caused by the thieves breaking in and destroying stuff to get it out will generally exceed the value of the stuff stolen. Better to have them not destroy the bed and take the stuff than to have them destroy it and take the stuff...or destroy it and decide the stuff isn't worth taking. At that point, you probably already have a broken skylight or something.

(There may be other reasons to latch the bed up, such as to prevent it falling or drifting down due to vibration while en route.)

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you really beef up the framing around the bed then it won't be very hard to tear the mattress platform off the base.
Most all the framing is cheap 2x2's stapled or screwed together that probably already have a few splits in them.

There's two types of thieves IMO. The one's that are looking for an easy in like a door left unlocked or the one's that will tear open a door to get in. The 2nd version will tear the bed platform up to get it open.

Someone with a cats paw could get into just about any area on or in an RV.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
philh wrote:
There's a reason I want the magnet lock, it's not visible, and a potential thief would hopefully not see the lock and give up. Open to other suggestions, but I know a "lock" is an open invitation for further investigation.

What are you going to do if there is no power like parked at WalMart and you leave for dinner for example?

Or you have something in mind that works differently?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Options for large scale secure storage are limited for sure in campers.
Agree, unless a thief is hurried, they would be more intrigued by something that is not commonly locked that happens to be locked particularly.

This topic came up recently and one suggestion was a "dummy" safe. Cheap or old safe, loosely attached to the structure (to "appear" bolted down), fill it with some rocks and scrap metal, so it sounds and feels like something worth while. And then creatively hide the valuables elsewhere.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
Once they break into the trailer , whats another lock . You padlock showed them where to look !

x2 and it's less you'll have to repair after your bed frame is tore up.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Once they break into the trailer , whats another lock . You padlock showed them where to look !

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
IMO the visibility of a lock detours would be thieves.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad