cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installing a solar panel on Jayco 2008 rubber roof

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
The manual on these shows the roof is one piece rubber, over 1/8" plywood over the aluminum frame filled with foam insulation.

Any suggestions on how to mount a single 80w panel? I have a tube of Dicor, some 1" +/- butyl tape, maybe a dozen feet of 8 year old 4" Eternabond, 4 Z brackets and SS screws, and some misc aluminum angle.

Originally was thinking of using the Z brackets screwed to the roof, pre drilling and filling using Dicor and maybe a layer of Butyl between the brackets and the roof, then Dicor over the whole shebang. That's when I thought it was 3/8" ply, being just 1/8" has me rethinking it. Has anyone mounted panel to similar?

If this is like the Starcraft I had the aluminum framing members are few and far between.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA
7 REPLIES 7

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Same as Colo Native. 4 panels on the roof no issues.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

JaneSiver
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for posting so late,but i was just looking around old topics and articles information about equations of walls,and could not pass by.I just have couple words about walabot,because I'm the owner of this device.Which was bought a long time, when at the start of sales i bought for $ 300 in amazon!
Here is my full opinion:
"walabot Product did not work nearly as well as advertised, I gave it a chance on multiple jobs and it still has not done what is advertised at all. I would really like a refund if at all possible. I will continue to give my honest review as a contractor that has been in construction for over 13 years, and will post this on every feed I see across Facebook and Amazon"

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Padlin wrote:
I'll have to see if I can locate the aluminum rafters, thanks.

How about a tool rental place that might have a scanner that would detect things like metal pipes, wiring etc.

I watch a video off Facebook with an item called Walabot that is a scanner which attaches to any android smart phone that was pretty impressive. Cost for the DIY model is about $200.

I do like the idea with only 1/8" plywood to find the metal framing.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
I'll have to see if I can locate the aluminum rafters, thanks.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
14 Escape 5.0 TA

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Here's what I'd suggest: Cut 3' of 4" Eternabond into two 2" strips. Locate the rafters where you wish to install the solar module. Place the tape across at least two rafters and this will be the location of where you mount aluminum angle as brackets. Drill the aluminum angle pieces at the rafter spacing measurements. Place on the tape and drill into the rafters. Attach the aluminum angle pieces on top of the Eternabond strips with #12 stainless screws in three locations. The module can now be fitted with either short angle pieces in the mounting holes of the panel or Z brackets. Fasten the brackets on the module to the brackets you've installed on the roof.

You could also attach all the aluminum pieces on the ground and then fasten onto the roof. Your choice (depends on your measurement skills).

If you proceed like above, your solar panel will be held very rigidly to the roof and the Eternabond tape will seal the screws as they are driven through the tape. You will likely squirt on a bunch of sealer onto the screws (everybody needs to make their project look like a Kindergarten craft affair) but it isn't needed.

FWIW, I have a 60" module with a four-way tilting mechanism attached like above. It sits for 6 mos. of the year with the module tilted in all kinds of wind and weather. It is like it's welded to the aluminum sheet roof.

Good luck with the installation.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
You have 3/8 ply compared to the Jayco's 1/8".
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
I made my own brackets from 1" aluminum angle use #10 stainless screws and bolts and lots of Dicor. There are 3 screws into the roof
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD