Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Champion Dual Fuel 4500w Generator---$825

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just a heads up for those looking.

Amazon has the above generator on sale for a really good price.

No I'm not selling or affiliated but have been keeping an eye on them as a replacement for the old 2400w Yamaha.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV
14 REPLIES 14

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Follow up...

Generator: So far really liking it but mostly just testing out to make sure it's working and will do the job.
- Electric start is nice. Old Yamaha always started fine but twist and push a button is easier.
- I can't tell the noise difference at idle compared to the Yamaha.
- Barely comes off idle with the aircon running (other than a quick blip as it kicks the compressor over) and sounds to my ears quieter (I don't have a dB meter). Most of the difference seems to be because it's not throttled up like the smaller Yamaha (2400w).
- Did a quick test with the air/con running, I turned on a 1500w space heater. Only got the generator 2/3 power output light going. No struggle at all.

Amazon: A S%$@ show.
- So the first generator had some minor damage on delivery...it happens, no big deal.
- Got on the Amazon chat, explained the situation.
- They quickly agreed to send a replacement and offered to pick it up.
- We are traveling so had it shipped to a friends...we weren't at the friends, so pickup wasn't going to work.
- No problem, they would email a shipping label and we could drop it off at UPS.
- While finishing up the email arrived...the label was specific that postage was not included.
- Still on the chat, I asked why they didn't send a prepaid label. It's a large 2ftx2ftx3ft heavy box...it's not going to be cheap to ship.
- Amazon was insistent that it wouldn't be a problem and they would happily reimburse us for the shipping.
- Grumbled a bit (copied the chat) but ultimately what are you going to do.
- Next day, checked the amazon account...generator order was canceled completely.
- Got on the chat again, explained that I never agreed to canceling.
- They reinstated the order...and surprisingly it was going to show up the following day. (sent to the same friend who was coming out camping with us the following weekend)
- Next day, swung by a UPS outlet and shipped the generator.
- The shipping label wasn't actually emailed. There was a link in the email to the amazon website where the label could be downloaded. I don't normally order on my phone and don't have the password memorized, so wound up 15min in the parking lot with amazon getting my account unlocked so I could download the shipping info.
- Final UPS bill was about $150 but it was on it's way.
- Friend texted the same day, that UPS dropped off the replacement generator.
- About an hour later, got a second text that UPS had taken the generator off the porch and left a shipping receipt.
- Back to Amazon chat...Explained the whole history and spelled out that we need a generator still.
- It took them about 15min to reply back...but they said there was a 3rd generator being sent out.
- Asked about reimbursement for the shipping bill...they offered an account credit...I said, no I want reimbursement and had the chat from a couple days back with assurances it wouldn't be a problem.
- He was apologetic but was firm that there was no option to actually reimburse possible in the system.
- Finally got it moved up to a manager and suddenly, it's no issue sending it to my credit card.
- As we are finishing up, he tells me he is sending out another shipping label....huh?
- At this point, my response was, "I currently have two generators on your way to the amazon warehouse. I don't have anymore generators to send you."
- The 3rd try did eventually make it and friends dropped it off Friday.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
So got it but the box was crushed a bit on one corner...unfortunately, one of the wheels was bent out of alignment and side panel wasn't fitting quite right...so before putting oil in, contacted amazon to get a replacement.

Try again next week...at least it's still cool weather so not much concern about needing it for a month or so.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

markandkim
Explorer II
Explorer II
LittleBill wrote:
This one?

Clicky for Genny

See!
Should have bought it yesterday. $1006.00 now, but still 26% off of original price. Still a good deal.
Retired Navy

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7L
2014 Crossroads Zinger 27RL
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
jjj wrote:
I have been looking too but would have to buy one more expensive
because I live in the great state of Calif. and they won't
ship it here. I would have to have it shipped to my brothers
house in Vegas and drive to get it which would cost a 100.00
in fuel to get it so I would have to order from someone who will
ship it here.I found one site that will ship it here but 100.00 more.
Was checking out the difference from the 200991 and 200998 and 200998 has slightly higher running amps and 200991 has automotive 12v plug. I did a comparison on champion site.

Can't help with Cali-crazy rules.

I think the real differences in the models are they have different models for different retail stores. That way you can't take the amazon price, go into walmart and ask them to price-match because the walmart version is black & yellow instead of yellow & black.

But for our use, we are unlikely to ever push it to it's limits, so not really a big consideration for us.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sandia Man wrote:
Definitely a good buy at that price, we love our Champion inverter genny and it has been a real workhorse for over 5 years. We did not get the dual fuel model, we primarily use our Champion inverter genny with our toyhauler which has a 30 gallon fuel station nullifying any need to utilize propane. Champion customer service was excellent when I needed a high elevation jet, otherwise genny has been bulletproof thus far.

My only caveat is that this unit does not appear to have remote start, when I was looking for a genny to tackle smaller loads where our Onan was simply overkill, I wanted to find an inverter genny that mimics the single button start/stop of our our onboard from within our rig. Not having to go outside when it's really hot or very cold, or early in the morning or overnight when I am too sleepy or don't want to get dressed is priceless.

For porting fuel around, I would prefer gas but the old Yamaha (15yrs old) is surging (runs fine once loaded up) and fiddling around cleaning the carb doesn't seem to be fixing it and buying a new carb is like $250 with a small engine guy installing it. I have always ran the carb dry but carb issues have caught up with us..so that's why I went with the propane option so the issue doesn't come back.

We don't have a built in and the old generator is pull start, so electric start should be a luxury.

This should also address the compressor start up. The 2400w unit would do it most of the time...once warmed up but sometimes it took a couple tries before it would kick the compressor over and then it would be fine. The new unit should barely notice.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
I have been looking too but would have to buy one more expensive
because I live in the great state of Calif. and they won't
ship it here. I would have to have it shipped to my brothers
house in Vegas and drive to get it which would cost a 100.00
in fuel to get it so I would have to order from someone who will
ship it here.I found one site that will ship it here but 100.00 more.
Was checking out the difference from the 200991 and 200998 and 200998 has slightly higher running amps and 200991 has automotive 12v plug. I did a comparison on champion site.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Definitely a good buy at that price, we love our Champion inverter genny and it has been a real workhorse for over 5 years. We did not get the dual fuel model, we primarily use our Champion inverter genny with our toyhauler which has a 30 gallon fuel station nullifying any need to utilize propane. Champion customer service was excellent when I needed a high elevation jet, otherwise genny has been bulletproof thus far.

My only caveat is that this unit does not appear to have remote start, when I was looking for a genny to tackle smaller loads where our Onan was simply overkill, I wanted to find an inverter genny that mimics the single button start/stop of our our onboard from within our rig. Not having to go outside when it's really hot or very cold, or early in the morning or overnight when I am too sleepy or don't want to get dressed is priceless.

markandkim
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is the best deal I seen in a long time.

I have the 3500 model dual fuel. If I didn't, I would be all over that.

Excellent generator.
Retired Navy

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7L
2014 Crossroads Zinger 27RL
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
I have the open frame model of this generator and like it, but haven't put a lot of hours on it yet, only about 50 hours.

The open frame model is a bit louder and doesn't have electric start, but it's about $200 cheaper. The noise isn't bad for a 4500W generator. I've only run it on Propane so far, but it's worked well, I get around 18 hours on a tank of propane (not running at full load).

But if you get this one and aren't going to leave it in once place, I recommend getting the optional wheel kit, it's not super heavy (80 lbs), but is awkward for one person to move around.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
BurbMan wrote:
61 dB vs 57dB for an eU2200, seems competitive. Although Honda drops their spec to 48dB at 1/4 load, assume the Champ is similar

I couldn't find detailed info on the Champion but we helped friends pick out a 3400w champion a couple years back and it's pretty good on noise level.

Particularly for inverter generators, you have to consider the loading. At idle our old Yamaha 2400 is super quiet but load it up to max and it's much louder (though still pretty good).

Problem comparing a 2200w vs a 4500w generator is a load that won't push the bigger 4500w generator off idle may be 50% load on the smaller generator and throttled up it will make a lot more noise than the low out put measurement. So you almost have to create a table of loads vs dB if you want to do a fair comparison between generators of significantly different power outputs (really even with similar rated generators).

For us, we don't typically break out the generator unless there is a significant load, so 1/4load on a 2200w unit is pretty meaningless for us.

Update: Found a youtube video where they tested it at 25ft with the exhaust pointing away...seems pretty reasonable:
- Idle: 54dB
- Eco mode off: 58dB
- 1500w hair dryer 60dB
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
61 dB vs 57dB for an eU2200, seems competitive. Although Honda drops their spec to 48dB at 1/4 load, assume the Champ is similar

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Ninth-seven pounds seems competitive too.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
LittleBill wrote:
This one?

Clicky for Genny

Yep, but keep in mind, the prices seem to change every few days.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
This one?

Clicky for Genny