cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Atwood Stove Mod Ever!

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since the existing Atwood Piezo sparker tends to work only when it likes to. I converted mine to an electronic unit sourced from gas grill replacement. My brother did this to his trailer and I pirated it from him. I used a step bit to enlarge the existing hole so the new pushbutton igniter assy would fit. All the wires and igniters in the kit are discarded. And I had to order up a set of 5 wires to get one that I needed to get to the oven pilot. A very simple bracket needs to be made to attach the igniter to the oven pilot. I used the existing ones from the stove.....I had to love on the connector with needle nose pliers a bit to get them to fit the new ingiter, but worked very fine. It worked the first time with no tuning or adjustments. I think this is a very worth while and inexpensive mod. All you have to be is reasonably good with your hands. I don't think i spent more than 2hrs doing this.

Grill Igniter kit

Igniter wire and electrode kit
Note: Moderator edit to fix long URLs which made page too large.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!
7 REPLIES 7

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
jkwilson wrote:
Did the grill igniter several years ago and love it. Nice when boondocking if one of us is up early fixing coffee on the stove so you donโ€™t have the loud clicking.

Exactly correct with the loud clicking! And more loud clicking when it doesn't light!
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
ktmrfs wrote:
opnspaces wrote:
Vintage465 wrote:
All the wires and igniters in the kit are discarded. And I had to order up a set of 5 wires to get one that I needed to get to the oven pilot.

Grill Igniter kit

My Atwood is three burners too. The igniter has four "ports" for sparking. I used the fourth to spark the oven

I hate to say it but I'm a bit confused. How did you take a 4 wire igniter system and add a fifth wire to it for the oven? When I look at your ebay links it looks like there are only 4 spades on the back of the unit for the wires. Did you just splice two wires together on one spade?

My atwood stove only has 3 burners. If you have a 4 burner stove, You may need to add a second ignitor just for the oven
V-465

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Vintage465 wrote:
All the wires and igniters in the kit are discarded. And I had to order up a set of 5 wires to get one that I needed to get to the oven pilot.

Grill Igniter kit

I hate to say it but I'm a bit confused. How did you take a 4 wire igniter system and add a fifth wire to it for the oven? When I look at your ebay links it looks like there are only 4 spades on the back of the unit for the wires. Did you just splice two wires together on one spade?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did the grill igniter several years ago and love it. Nice when boondocking if one of us is up early fixing coffee on the stove so you donโ€™t have the loud clicking.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
adding a pump to recirculate till you get hot water is nice. Nice thing about the valve I added is that (a) temp is seperate control from volume and (b) volume control give fine control of flow.

So.... once the hot water gets to the valve, temp stays constant with flow.

A recirtulating pump to get the hot water to the valve with the return to the fresh tank is next on my list. we often dry camp for couple of weeks at a time in the same place to minimizing grey water is important.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
That's a real neat looking piece. I recently replace our tub/shower faucet with and all brass one. I also hooked up a hot water recirculating system with a 12 volt, food grade, high temp recirculating pump. I turn the pump on for thiry seconds then turn it off. Then I have instant hot water.
V-465

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
DW said this was the best mod ever when I did it a few years ago on our stove. The "best mod ever" part was that the oven now had spark ignitor.

However it is now second best mod ever. Last year I replaced the shower valve system with this unit from amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08Z7PD833/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

availability comes and goes but it's great
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!