cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AWNING PROTECTIVE SHIELD

TWO_4_THE_ROAD
Explorer
Explorer
Hello: Has anyone ever installed a metal protective shield on their existing awning? I have an 07 Flagstaff by FR 5th wheel. The awning is in great shape except for the 6 inch strip that is exposed to the weather when rolled up. I looked at the Domestic website, and they show there Shield in their Parts section. I'm wondering how hard it is to install. They don't mention it on their site. As I said there are no tears or holes in the awning it'self. Only the discolorment where the sun has faded it..
Thanks in advance..
07 Forestriver Flagstaff 8528GTSS, 07 Chev,2500hd, D/A, , 2000 Mitsubisi Eclipse. ,DW Kathy,DD Maggie
15 REPLIES 15

JamesMee
Explorer
Explorer
TWO 4 THE ROAD wrote:
Oh by the way, when you go to HD. there are two types of PVC. One is black and cost about $27 for 10 ft, the one I bought is White and was $9.

Also, as an FYI, in my experience, the white is easily paintable with Krylon.

Notthru2
Explorer
Explorer
My awning was beginning to show sun rot at each end on top where the sun always hits it. (Look for the frayed threads along the edge.) I did cut 6" "bandages" from 4" wide eternabond and place one on each end of the awning. (I'm talking about the area that is always exposed to the sun.) It has been almost 2 years now, and certainly doesn't negatively affect the use of the awning. It does, however, give me more confidence when it is extended and a small gust of wind comes up. I don't believe it would ever be possible to tear a piece of eternabond. I also now use PVC gutter to keep it out of the sun when parked in my drive-way. As far as the gutter, I used two 10' pieces. I overlapped to make it the correct length and drilled several paired holes about 1" apart over the overlapped portion. I then secured the two sections together with cable ties. Works great!
2007 GMC 2500HD Classic, D/A, B&W Companion
2020 KZ Durango 5th Wheel 283RLT HT

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone tried putting a strip of Eternabond on the exposed area?
RVing since 1995.

fpresto
Explorer
Explorer
Tried it today with PVC gutter. Snapped right in place. Brilliant idea. Thanks.
USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

wittmeba
Explorer
Explorer
I think if it were me Id attach the top to the sidewall (5th wheel - not sure about a trailer) with about 3 small hinges. Then use 2-3 straps also attached at the top that would hold the cover against the awning/wall with upholstery snaps - male screwed into the side and female button/snap in the strap.

Unsnap the straps and let the awning out. It should unwind without having to remove/store the cover.

NRA Member & supporter of the 2nd amendment - over 5,000,000 strong

Firefoxยฎ 33

Log home images - Updated 05/19/2013

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also use a pvc rain gutter secured with bungee cords -- works great. But don't forget to remove it before hitting the highway. Please don't ask me how I know this.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
jerrygallion wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
Here's my post from a few weeks back regarding the awning cover. As we all know, the sun wrecks the top of them in a few years. I used plastic rain gutter as shown in my post. Check out smokedummy's post too in my post as his method is good to if it fits you.
Cheap-O Awning Cover

BTW, I've never been able to find that flexible metal covering stuff available as a DIY project.

thanks ron3rd did tour cover tonight in 10 minutes and a 20 dollar bill and some change thanks again

That's what we're all here for!
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

jerrygallion
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
Here's my post from a few weeks back regarding the awning cover. As we all know, the sun wrecks the top of them in a few years. I used plastic rain gutter as shown in my post. Check out smokedummy's post too in my post as his method is good to if it fits you.
Cheap-O Awning Cover

BTW, I've never been able to find that flexible metal covering stuff available as a DIY project.

thanks ron3rd did tour cover tonight in 10 minutes and a 20 dollar bill and some change thanks again

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
You could take your awning material off and take it to a top shop or where they make boat covers. Have them cut out the bad material and sew in a new pocket for the cord that goes in the track on the MH or TT and your good to go.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Brilliant! My awning has gotten brittle at the top and will need replacement next year. At least I can use the gutter idea to protect it at home.
Thanks!

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Cheap-O Awning Cover

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

jerrygallion
Explorer
Explorer
wow never thought about this looks like I'll be doing this thanks for the info

TWO_4_THE_ROAD
Explorer
Explorer
pugslyyy: Funny you should mention that. I did exactly that last month. Went to Home Depot and bought a 10ft piece of white PVC cut it in half length wise and used bungy cords to hold it up. Seems to work o.k. Not the prettiest, but what the heck it works. I just would like to hide/clean up the discolorment that I mentioned in my post..Oh by the way, when you go to HD. there are two types of PVC. One is black and cost about $27 for 10 ft, the one I bought is White and was $9.
thanks for your input.
07 Forestriver Flagstaff 8528GTSS, 07 Chev,2500hd, D/A, , 2000 Mitsubisi Eclipse. ,DW Kathy,DD Maggie

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Saw a post recently where someone took a piece of PVC pipe and made it fit as an awning cover. Looked a bit like Hogans goat but served the purpose.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox