cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

how to make a Towed Car Protection Shield

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Some time ago I saw/read an article about how to make a toad shield. I anybody can refer me to that article I would appreciate it.
9 REPLIES 9

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Just a thought, but it might be cheaper/more convenient to hang some big semi mud flaps off the back bumper or buy/make a continuous flap that hooks on the trailer hitch receiver.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I went to Alaska in 2006 I made one out of and old trampoline material that my brother was throwing away. I made a few other protective devices but after a month or so found out that I really did not need them. It was messy after you disconnect the car when it rains and roll up the material to store it in the truck. The roads were really not any worse than the dirt roads back east.

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
The user mshappycamper hangs out in a different forum. You might search his handle and you can figure out which one. Then join and send him a PM or post your question there.

Or spend the $250 for a Protect-A_Tow. They do work well. FWIW they are made with a a PVC coated polyester mesh that is rip stop. That is from the manufacture. It is a trapezoid shape with the base of about 90" wide and a top about 48" inches wide. The height is about 56" finish size.

Y-Guy
bigred1cav wrote:
Thank you, now how may I save it?

Well I use a Mac so I'd just print to a PDF, but not sure if Windows allows that. Other option is to right click and save each photo or try copying the text and photos and CTRL-C to copy then open something like Microsoft Word and CTRL-V to paste into the document.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, now how may I save it?

Y-Guy wrote:
I think this might be like what your looking for, but this specific user hasn't been active in almost 7 years.

My DIY Tow Protector

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
One experienced RVer made one out of plywood.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Y-Guy
I think this might be like what your looking for, but this specific user hasn't been active in almost 7 years.

My DIY Tow Protector

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the alaskan tour sites had a how to make one at one time. As I recall it was made with PVC.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't have any exact references although I recall seeing something on youtube over the last year or so. It is something we need to do as well but have been too busy to get to it, will keep an eye on this post it is on our to do list for this fall. We are currently using a bra to protect front and hood of toad, works okay and easy to take on and off during warm weather camping, not so much during chillier temps.