cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Additional handrail

Hudsoner
Explorer
Explorer
Slowly but surely, old age is creeping up on me! I find it is getting harder to climb into the motorhome, and would really love to have a hand rail or something on the right inner side of the entrance. I am currently using the side of the couch to help to get in, but a nice rail or something would be much better. Has anybody ever installed an extra handrail on the side of the flip open couch of a motorhome? Or at the inner door side?
A link to such a handle and some pictures showing such an installation would be helpful.
18 REPLIES 18

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Guys,
While I appreciate your participation and the pictures of the cars are great, the thread is greatly off topic now and needs to be closed. I suggest you two start a new thread in the ATC forum, where non RVing subject are allowed and encouraged, to continue your discussion. Thanks again for your posts.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
Hudsoner wrote:

I feel that the Austin Healy was the best looking roadster that was ever build in Great Britain.

I absolutely agree! For my money, the AH 100-4 with the windscreen lowered is the sexiest sports car that has ever been designed.
ANYWHERE!!!

Hudsoner wrote:
The Mazda is nice, but so what? I have an Audit TT Quattro Roadster, but this still cannot give the British motoring feeling!

And you are SO correct. While my Miata and your Audi will out handle nearly anything that Britain has produced, they just do not provide the wind-in-the-hair, wire wheel, "Feel" of a REAL Sports Car.

Tim

Hudsoner
Explorer
Explorer
My Triumph is a 1962. I still have the original engine in it. In fact, everything is still the way it came from the factory. The only thing I changed was the electric system. i switched it to negative ground and eliminated Mr. Lucas wherever possible.
I feel that the Austin Healy was the best looking roadster that was ever build in Great Britain.

The Mazda is nice, but so what? I have an Audit TT Quattro Roadster, but this still cannot give the British motoring feeling!
Both of my roasters stay at home. I take either my motor scooter or my Kia Sorento with me.

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
Hudsoner wrote:

And I see that you have an Austin Healy 3000 in British Racing Green! I love that car! I just have a lowly Triumph TR4 with the same color!
do you haul this beauty behind the motorhome?

Actually it is a 1959 100-6, but I have installed a 302 CI, 300 HP, Ford V8 with a 4 speed Automatic OverDrive transmission.

Here was the engine with the 4 barrel.

HERE is the engine after the most recent update.

I flat towed it once, but because of the auto-trans I had to remove the driveshaft.

I then bought a flatbed trailer and enclosed it. I have hauled it from Dallas to both coasts.

I now tow a Miata retractable and I don't take the Healey much any more.

Tim

Hudsoner
Explorer
Explorer
Healeyman wrote:
Hudsoner wrote:
some pictures showing such an installation would be helpful.

I installed THIS handrail in my Coachmen Freelander.

It comes installed in an ACE, a short Class A.

The dealer got it for me when I bought the Freelander new and I installed it myself. It is VERY sturdy.

Sorry I can't provide a link to a source, but I would try places that sell the ACE. Their parts department should be able to get one.

Tim

Thank you for the info and the picture!
And I see that you have an Austin Healy 3000 in British Racing Green! I love that car! I just have a lowly Triumph TR4 with the same color!
do you haul this beauty behind the motorhome?

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
Hudsoner wrote:
some pictures showing such an installation would be helpful.

I installed THIS handrail in my Coachmen Freelander.

It comes installed in an ACE, a short Class A.

The dealer got it for me when I bought the Freelander new and I installed it myself. It is VERY sturdy.

Sorry I can't provide a link to a source, but I would try places that sell the ACE. Their parts department should be able to get one.

Tim

Hudsoner
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Hudsoner wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Our previous coach had a hinged panel that covered the stairwell while underway. When raised and latched, it created a short wall on the right side of the stairs. I found a wooden handrail online that was a close match to the factory on on the left and installed it on the panel on the right. With the panel down it was out of sight, and when it was up the handrail was quite stable.

How was the panel fastened (held up securely) when in the upright position?

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this... The panel latched upright with brass barrel latch. A smaller version of the kind often used on gates or shed doors.
Thanks! That could work well for me. I could have it engaging with the metal stud that is there for the door frame.
Was the hinge side made of some kind of piano hinge?

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Hudsoner wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Our previous coach had a hinged panel that covered the stairwell while underway. When raised and latched, it created a short wall on the right side of the stairs. I found a wooden handrail online that was a close match to the factory on on the left and installed it on the panel on the right. With the panel down it was out of sight, and when it was up the handrail was quite stable.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this... The panel latched upright with brass barrel latch. A smaller version of the kind often used on gates or shed doors.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
That site has given me all kinds of mod ideas. My wife says curse you for raging her pocket book.

Hudsoner
Explorer
Explorer
schwartzworld wrote:
You might also want to look at Kee Klamps. It's a series of flexible and rigid aluminium pipe connectors that could be used to make a hand rail of any size or shape. I've been thinking about making one myself.

http://www.simplifiedbuilding.com/store/components/kee-lite.html

Thanks for this link. I had no idea what different fittings one can get!

schwartzworld
Explorer
Explorer
You might also want to look at Kee Klamps. It's a series of flexible and rigid aluminium pipe connectors that could be used to make a hand rail of any size or shape. I've been thinking about making one myself.

http://www.simplifiedbuilding.com/store/components/kee-lite.html

Hudsoner
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:

Hudsoner
Explorer
Explorer
Pepperoni wrote:
I have the same need. Problem is that the flip-down couch is upholstered on that side of the stairwell, and I don't like messing with the upholstery. I am thinking of fabricating a metal hook (that sort of thing I *DO*), for the top end, to slide over the upholstery.

For the bottom end, either a swiveling mount, or a sliding tab. (tab A inserted into slot B). The top mount will support weight. Think 3-4 inch flat stock, bent to fit over the couch side at the top and attached to the top rail mount. with the bottom rail-mount solidly fixed---- should be strong, removable, unobtrusive, cheap, and a great show- and -tell around the campfire.

the hook to slide over the upholstery can be padded, or peel-and-stick protection applied to the upholstered edge of the couch, for protection. (Or both)

Would you want to fabricate a second unit and sell it to me?

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate