cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Add led indicator

Hornnumb2
Explorer
Explorer
Is there an easy way to add an led indicator to the outside cover of the fridge, so I can tell its still running on propane. The fridge is on the rear of my trailer but when traveling on propane it would be nice to have a led to know if its still burner on those road side stops.
9 REPLIES 9

SCClockDr
Explorer
Explorer
I installed LED's to indicate:
AC power available
AC element getting power
DC power available
External fans on
Gas valve energized.
I needed to increase the resistance on the AC indicators & a blocking diode to prevent inverse voltage breakdown.
I also installed a multi-sensor temperature reader just inside the door. So if the gas valve LED happens to be dark, I can open the door to confirm the temperature.
It works a treat
George & Cathy
08 Titanium 28E33SA, XM, Honda EU 3000is, Trimetric, RotoChocks, LP Reg. Mod, 2 Gal Accum., WiFiRanger GO2/Mobile
04 Ram 3500 5.9 DRW, PAC PRXB E/B, 4" MBRP SS Exhaust, Gauges, Aux Tank/box, BrakeSmart.
ETCS (ss) USN Ret

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
We also have a wireless temp indicator from LaCrosse.

You could also get a cheap wireless backup camera and point it at the control panel inside.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Do be aware that the burner not operating does not necessarily mean it has blown out. It cycles on and off as needed to maintain the proper temperature, just as a residential fridge's compressor does.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I towed out last TT all over the country and it's fridge was at the very back of the trailer.
It never blew out, not even once. I've also had them on the sides with the same success.
Frankly these fridges work so good that I just never worry about what they're doing. (Just like the one at home)
My suggestion is that you do the same.

Good luck,
Scott

Hornnumb2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the comments, seems like an easy mod. I should have all parts already. My fridge is on the back wall so I haven't had any problem with it blowing out but it would just be piece of mind to see the led lit.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
My propane fridge burners have blown out once since 1978. You donโ€™t need one.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
If flame blows out and it does NOT relight/prove lit doesn't fridge indicate such on upper display panel...Either a 'Check' light or a 'X' ?

You could run a wire from gas valve solenoid (power side) to an LED.
Whenever solenoid had DC Power the LED would be ON

Solenoid would only have DC Voltage when circuit board energized gas valve
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

path1
Explorer
Explorer
To me, the way I understand question... the purpose of wanting a LED light is to see if burner is or is not on, while traveling on propane?

I went a slightly different route because I wanted to know what our actual frig/freezer temps were when traveling. And not in love with any open flame while traveling but that is talk for another debate.
What has worked out great for us is a wireless temp gauge. Didn't think the "wireless" thing would work going down the road but is works fine. Fridge at rear of trailer is about 42 feet from tow vehicle dash to fridge/freezer. In this link below be sure to read the comments and decide for yourself. Lots of reviews.

When we got ours I couldn't get it to work. You have to buy high priced batteries that will work in freezer and we can't hear the so called "warning peeps" over road and engine noise. But wife just takes a glance every so often. Beyond those problems, which we could care less about, the gauge has worked out great for several years. And we have found out that we don't even need to have fridge/freezer on when traveling on most days in our 2012 trailer. But in our older 2003 class C only good for about 4 hours. Also found out If outside temps are going to be above 75 then we just turn down temps colder before going to bed the night before. If you do get one of these... directions are not the greatest, just go step by step.

Batteries must be "lithium batteries (not included)" in the sensors, regular batteries won't work because of low temps. Especaily the freezer. Friends saw how good ours work and ordered one. Theirs didn't work right from the beginning. They returned it and no questions asked and replacement was within a week.

https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-00986A2-Refrigerator-Wireless-Thermometer/dp/B004QJVU78

The elec knowledge is great on this forum... I had help installing a LED so I could tell if I remembered to shut off water pump or not by just looking in my driver side mirror.

You might have other reasons for a LED light, but by the time and money and hassle your going to have invested putting in a LED...you might want to consider a wireless gauge.

Also at home when our elec goes out after a storm I put sensors in house fridge/freezer, so I know when and if I need to run extension cord from genny in RV to house stuff.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
What make and model of fridge do you have? Do you want the LED to illuminate when the burner is actually burning, or when the fridge is on in gas mode?

If the fridge has electronic controls it should be possible to add an LED without too much difficulty. For seeing when the burner is burning, wiring the LED (with appropriate series dropping resistor) in parallel with the gas solenoid ought to work. I doubt the extra 10-20 mA would cause any problems for the controls; but just the same, I disclaim any responsibility should it somehow cause problems.