cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adapting older Sony Backup Cameras

lpavao100
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks, wondering if anyone out there has adapted an older (2000 MY) Sony backup camera to a newer ASA Voyager monitor? I added side view cameras to my RV, so I ended up pulling the old Sony monitor out. RVCams does sell and adapter cable to join the two, but you need to buy the monitor from them as well. I didn't, so now I'm stuck with the interface. I haven't had much luck with joining.

Just wondering if anyone has done this and knows what the 4 wires (cable) function as coming from the camera. No safety issues here as the monitor creates the 12V., but I can't seem the get the right combo. The camera has - if anyone knows:
1. Red conductor which has a copper jacket over another wire with a few strands within.
2. Black - Ground - no problem
3. White - Not sure, could be power (heavier wire)
4. Clear plastic wrapped, aluminum jacketed multi strand over a blue wire with a few strands.

I know there is video and audio traveling over this small cable as it comes from the back of the RV. But Winni put's an extension cable on these cameras, so not sure if it is the same as the camera cable. Any insight would be appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4

lpavao100
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I figured about the same on the wires. Unfortunately I can't get into the camera - these have not been serviceable. I guess there were a lot of issues with this camera around 2006. Maybe I was lucky, so I decided to put in another voyager tilt camera in its place. Not easy routing since the original cable is tucked and constrained in the roof. This will be easier, at least the camera works and no guess work. I did apply 12V. randomly in the beginning so I may have trashed one of the PCB's. Good learning lesson for an older RV.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I would guess that one of the shielded wires is audio and the other video. If black is ground, white presumably must be +12V or +5V or whatever. It's entirely possible that the signals are not NTSC video or normal analog audio, but some other analog or digital signaling scheme.

Do you have access to the internals of the camera and/or monitor for it? Possibly (if you're really lucky) the PCBs would have markings for what wire is what. It's rather a long shot; you'd more likely just have a J2 or similar for the whole connector.

Randomly applying +12V to various of the outputs could conceivably destroy circuitry in the camera, though one would hope it would be protected against such abuse.

lpavao100
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback. The Red conductor is shielded (alum stranded) over the jacketed wire. I tried using this as power last night, but it was a no-go. The function must have changed in the extension from the camera up in the roof panel. I think I may end up swapping the camera as well, I don't want to but it may be the only way. Now I need to find out if the bale is constrained in the upper LH roof panel or if it can be pulled. I'll see if Winni has any answers. Thanks again, I'll keep working this connection as well.

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't have a sony system, but, I do have a couple cameras wired like this monitor.

On these, the yellow connector is video, white is audio, red is power. If I open up the red connector, it has a red and black wire inside. My monitor doesn't support audio, so I don't use the white wire.

If your sony camera is similar, the wires are probably :

red -- 12 volt positive
black -- 12 volt negative
white -- audio
plastic wrapped blue -- video
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)