Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

50w Solar panel and charger install help

judelaurenzo25g
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

I'm in the process of adding a 50w solar panel and charge controller to my enclosed utility trailer. I currently have a 10amp smart charger to keep my 35ah batter topped off. My question is, when I install my solar panel will there be a conflict between the smart charger and the panel if I'm plugged to shore power and the panel is charging my battery at the same time? I the obvious answer to me is yes... If yes, what do I need to add to my system so this doesn't happen.

Thanks,
JL
A ship in harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.
6 REPLIES 6

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
You question got a lot of answers with the word, Should, in it.

Should does not cut it. Anyone know for sure?

In theory, if the plugged-in charger just puts out a blind voltage then nothing will alter that, it will put out the voltage as long as it is plugged in.
The solar controller (unless u got a super cheap-o one) should be sensing the charge level on the batteries and adjust the type of charging it is doing according to the voltage. Low voltage means an aggressive charge, high means a float charge.
The plugged-in charger will fool the solar controller to think there is 14 volts (or whatever the charger puts out). A good battery will be closer to 13.6 volts or so, so less than the charger. The solar controller will always see a fully charged battery, so will likely be doing nothing except preventing solar voltage from charging. - Not a big deal since there is 14 volts charging happening from the plugged-in one.
So, I theorize they do not work together, rather one cancels out the other.
If you got a cheap-o solar controller then maybe it put its voltage to the battery and the plugged-in one puts its voltage to the battery and the only one that maters is whichever one is giving more voltage.
Now, if they are both smart chargers then we need a new theory.

judelaurenzo25g
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:
As Ivylog says there should not be a problem. They will both add to the charging.

Great!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, they should work together fine. Fifty watts seems hardly worth the effort.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
As Ivylog says there should not be a problem. They will both add to the charging.

judelaurenzo25g
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
They should work together without problems.

Great! Thanks, for the response.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
They should work together without problems.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...