cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winchester Bay RV Resort, Oregon

mikeflys
Explorer
Explorer
We just returned from a 3 night stay in this resort. It was a fantastic experience. The park itself is in the marina at Winchester Bay Oregon. This little town is geared for 2 things, fishing and ATV riding. Winchester bay is in the mouth of the Umpqua river, so you have freshwater fishing on the river or of course the Pacific Ocean is right there. The town is also right in the middle of the Oregon Sand dune system. What I found really interesting was that most everyone there was fishing or riding ATV's in the sand dunes, the beaches were nearly empty. One of the days we went down we had the beach to ourselves. It was great! As for the RV park.
  • Paved very level sites. All pull through with the exception of the ones with waterfront views.
  • Good Cable and actually usable WiFi. Not perfect WiFi but usable.
  • Extremely clean, we did not use the laundry or the rest rooms but judging from the rest of the park I would have to guess they were clean.
  • Each site has a pick-nick table and a fire ring, Wood is available for 5 bucks a bundle.
  • Fantastic views, from the forest to the sand dunes to the river and the ocean.
  • Surprisingly quiet. I would have assumed with all the ATV's around that it would be noisy, but the town segregates the ATV to the entrance of the sand dune area. They are not buzzing through the town.
  • Has its own dock just for crabbing

The town itself is a quaint little fishing town. More bait/tackle and ATV shops than restaurants and gift shops. A very extensive marina for those with boats. Several charter boats available for fishing in either the river or out on the ocean. And besides the RV resort at least 2 other state park camping areas. These seemed mostly for the ATV riders as they both opened up right into the sand dunes. If you are into the gift shop kind of thing (my wife and I are) ยฝ hour north is Florence Or with a really nice old town area for gifts and antiques. Also ยฝ hour to the south is North Bend and Coos Bay.
If I had to come up with a negative for this whole experience, none of the beaches had free parking.....
So to sum this all up, will I be going back? You bet! It will be a few years, still tons of Oregon coastline to explore before we start repeating much. And next time I go I want it to be after I have got my hands on a boat. Boat owners and ATV riders you really need to check this place out. You will not be sorry!!
12 REPLIES 12

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
Actually there is more than just 'bagels'.

Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Beware that there are no seagulls at this RV park only bagels :B
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
Plan to enjoy or avoid Dune Fest at Reedsport /Winchester Bay area July 27-31, 2016. They have it every year. We chose to avoid it on our trip 13 years ago. When we rode the dunes there were very few people out there. It was very cool riding along the shore.

Marcia
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

IDoMyOwnStunts
Explorer
Explorer
Been there with friends who ride. I think the particular reason you don't see more ATV riders using that park is that they don't allow you drive your ATV out. We just pulled them out with a truck in a big daisy chain. Really nice place, though, and not far from Florence.
I'm done. This isn't a place to be helpful. It's a place where curmudgeons with a superiority complex will nit pick everything. If you want help, go elsewhere. Admin, delete my account please.

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure how downtheroad got this pic but it is great. We always reserved way ahead and got one of those sites you see right in front.

Only downside is the local area. Unless you ATV, things to do can be limited to some degree. I no longer do any fishing but would imagine that is very good.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
One of our favorites on the Oregon coast.

Our last stay at WB.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

mikeflys
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Camper wrote:
mikeflys wrote:
We just returned from a 3 night stay in this resort. It was a fantastic experience. The park itself is in the marina at Winchester Bay Oregon. This little town is geared for 2 things, fishing and ATV riding. Winchester bay is in the mouth of the Umpqua river, so you have freshwater fishing on the river or of course the Pacific Ocean is right there. The town is also right in the middle of the Oregon Sand dune system. What I found really interesting was that most everyone there was fishing or riding ATV's in the sand dunes, the beaches were nearly empty. One of the days we went down we had the beach to ourselves. It was great! As for the RV park.
  • Paved very level sites. All pull through with the exception of the ones with waterfront views.
  • Extremely clean, we did not use the laundry or the rest rooms but judging from the rest of the park I would have to guess they were clean.
  • Each site has a pick-nick table and a fire ring, Wood is available for 5 bucks a bundle.
  • Fantastic views, from the forest to the sand dunes to the river and the ocean.
  • Surprisingly quiet. I would have assumed with all the ATV's around that it would be noisy, but the town segregates the ATV to the entrance of the sand dune area. They are not buzzing through the town.

The town itself is a quaint little fishing town. More bait/tackle and ATV shops than restaurants and gift shops. A very extensive marina for those with boats. Several charter boats available for fishing in either the river or out on the ocean. And besides the RV resort at least 2 other state park camping areas. These seemed mostly for the ATV riders as they both opened up right into the sand dunes. If you are into the gift shop kind of thing (my wife and I are) ยฝ hour north is Florence Or with a really nice old town area for gifts and antiques. Also ยฝ hour to the south is North Bend and Coos Bay.
If I had to come up with a negative for this whole experience, none of the beaches had free parking.....
So to sum this all up, will I be going back? You bet! It will be a few years, still tons of Oregon coastline to explore before we start repeating much. And next time I go I want it to be after I have got my hands on a boat. Boat owners and ATV riders you really need to check this place out. You will not be sorry!!

Did you think to post this in RV Park Reviews? More people will see it.

Yes I did!

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it is a really nice stay. While we were there we saw a double rainbow over the marina. Also the Oregon sand dunes are just up the road which runs in front of the campground.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
mikeflys wrote:

Did you think to post this in RV Park Reviews? More people will see it.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance

outdoorlovers
Explorer
Explorer
We loved it there. Were in the first row with incredible views. Very, very nice park.
2012 Dodge Ram 2500, Cummins turbo diesel, 6 speed, 4X4, tow package
2014 Jayco FW Eagle HT 26.5 RLS
Yamaha EF2400iS gen

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed there many times...great park.
Only down side is that it can get windy (very) in the afternoons.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Would agree - one of the nicest parks we have ever been to. Highly recommend it.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times