cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV sites recommendations around Mesa Verde NP in May

Chuck___
Explorer
Explorer
I am retired now at 63. First time to planning a trip south to Mesa Verde NP 2020 in May. Have a 34 foot 5th wheel. Look for RV site suggestions. Like full hook-ups if possible. Don't need to stay a the RV Hilton type resort. Just looking for a clean, safe and possibly quite place to stay for four nights. Some were you would go back to.

Merry Christmas from Oregon
Chuck
10 REPLIES 10

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bring warm clothing for May.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two Hands wrote:
Stay in the park! There are about 15 full hookup sites. Just reserve early.

^^^^^ This.

Morefield Campground in the park is highly recommended if you really want to have the full experience of Mesa Verde. H E R E - Mesa Verde is the link for the camping information, and H E R E - MV Map is a map for Mesa Verde. You will definitely need reservations for Morefield, so make them early. They use the 180 day window for reservations IIRC.

Stayed there in October 2017, in a FHU site in Morefield. Senior Discount for getting in the park, but no discount at Morefield. $50/night for FHU as I recall. Here are some things I learned.

As previously recommended, stop at the Visitors Center and if you want to go on a tour, that's the place to be. Just make sure you get there before they close, which was around 4:30 when I was there. They can also advise you what specific tours will be available (read as open due to weather or other restrictions). IIRC, you can also get tickets at the Chapin Mesa Museum. The best places to visit require the tour tickets.

Distances in the park are deceiving. It's 4 miles from the Visitors Center to Morefield, and another 11 miles to the Farview Lodge area. Another 5 miles to the major cliff dwelling areas, with 2 loops that are each 6 miles in distance. And that's all just on the Chapin Mesa, the "lower" of the 2 mesas. There's also Wetherill Mesa, the "upper" of the mesas, and it's another 12 miles to the cliff dwellings.

Fuel. There's fuel in the park. It was outrageously expensive when I was there. Depending on the direction you're coming from, fill up in either Cortez or Mancos. The fuel just outside the park is also as ridiculous in price. .50 to $1 more/gallon at these than it was in Cortez.

Time. Give yourself plenty of time. There are plenty of photo ops, and a variety of hikes if that interests you. You can easily spend 3-4 days there and still have things to see and do.

Weather. Late Winter/early Spring this past year saw some record snowfalls in that area, from 800% to 1200% above normal. We had major snows around Memorial Day in northern Colorado, and they had even more down there, so consider your timing and keep an eye on late season storms.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
KOA in Cortez NM is a short drive to Mesa Vere, they are having a May Special, I stayed there a couple years ago and took a grandson to the NP.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Two Hands wrote:

And the site we were on was very large.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
X2, spoon.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
No recommendation for site, but just want to say that Mesa Verde is GORGEOUS and I can't wait to go back. We stopped there on a cross country trip when I was 13 (26 years ago) and I still remember it being such an impressive piece of land! ENJOY!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck .. wrote:
ust looking for a clean, safe and possibly quite place to stay for four nights.
The hookup sites will be quite, but most of the sites are generator-allowed and not always quite.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Chuck___
Explorer
Explorer
I never spend time in the military or law enforcement. Said that, if it was not for people like you I wouldn't be here today enjoying a safe relax full retirement at 63. If I ever have the privilege of meeting you someday I would like to buy you a cup of coffee and thank you for you service.

Next time you are at a football game, parade or special event and the Nation Anthem is about to be played or one of you fine service people walk by with the flag, look around, I will be the one with many others standing up with my hand over my heart giving "EARNED" respect to you fine service personnel.

Merry Christmas from Oregon
Chuck

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
There are also two other rv cg's right outside the park both are literally across the street from the park entrance

https://www.ancientcedarsmesaverde.com/camping/

http://mesaverdervresort.com/

We have property down there so I have never stayed in either one of them so cant really say much about them except that they are close to the park. Our property is up back behind them a couple miles. The first one I have to drive by to get to our property as the road runs along their property line and it looks ok it certainly fills up in the tourist months and park visitor center is pretty much directly across the highway from it. The second is maybe at best a mile east on the highway but due to the way it sits and is laid out I cant see it very well from the highway at least beyond that it is there and open.

While staying in the park is probably optimum do know that the road going to the campground is steep, curvey, slow going and somewhat narrow, obviously many rvs get up to the campground and is safe but just fyi. The visitor center is right at the entrance so if your timing is good you will want to stop there on your way in as it will be a 15-20 minute drive to get back down to it though there are other areas where you can get tour tickets in the park.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"