cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Utah - Early Planning

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I plan well in advance because many times as part of our two month summer journey we go to high demand places - I make reservations on those well in advance.

OK - set for this year but looking for general info for next year. Going to Utah - no further north that SLC. Going to stay to the west - no Mon Valley to Moab in the summer. We will, of course, will - once again - do Page (az), Kanab, Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, etc. But looking for some maybe out of the way places or even popular places but not so well known. Geez, I saw a place in Kamas and the drive up the 150 - from first glance - looked interesting.

I do a lot of photo work so always looking for different things.

We prefer FHU but can live with just W/E for a few days. Clean and all but do not need a ton of amenities - we like to get out and hike or drive Nature.

All input is welcome and much appreciated.

Be safe. God bless.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

19 REPLIES 19

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
I want to thank everyone so far - there is so much good info here. Which is why I come on this Forum and ask.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, been to the north section but thank you for mentioning it. We plan to do it again this trip.

We are NOT going over the corridor of Monument Valley to Moab again this time - will be to hot; will do it again in the Fall sometime. Staying along the 89 - I15 area.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
You say Zion again, but have you been to the north section of Zion? So many people get stuck on the main valley, the forget or don't even know about the north end.

You say avoid Moab, but how about the section of Canyonlands on the west side of the river? Most folks don't go there because it is so isolated and is a long ways around there. Some place over there is a place called Five Arches.

Then there is Goblin State Park. Very unique Goblins in that area.

All of these places are on my to do list when I retire, but never been too because on the two trips through Utah I hit the popular spots.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
The Nine Mile Canyon petroglyphs acutally looked real to me and are in stunningly good condition. No one around for miles. Flaming Gorge is a beautiful area without the crowds. Vernal is very nice with a great museum.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

russelln
Explorer
Explorer
Taking notes for our trip in September/October

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, Bill, used to it! ๐Ÿ™‚

I tell people to go to the North Rim if they only want to see a small part of the Grand Canyon, shoot pictures from limited spots into the sun, have limited things to do there, do a boring long drive to get out there, have a campground with no hookups (I think)..........enuf ! ๐Ÿ™‚ But we have been there twice and even the dog refuses to go back!

Have been to Page a few times but I sometimes think I need to do Antelope Canyon. My motto is "Shoot The Shot The Others Did Not" and not sure I would have much different that those seen so often. But ya never know.

BTW - off subject but in case anyone is interested. I have a list of about 125 people who are on my Photo List. I occasionally send out images from around here but then also send out while we are on the road - with a narrative of sorts. No, there is no charge! I love to share images with people who have been to some of these places - but also to many, many who have not been blessed as we all have to be able to get to these places. If anyone is interested just email me at LaurenH517@gmail.com Keep in mind all images are copyrighted.

Lauren
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
timandsusan wrote:
In Page, Az, we toured the slot canyons where the photography is great--Antelope Canyon. How about the north rim of the Grand Canyon? Also Marble Canyon, Az there are some historic hikes at Lee's Ferry--bring plenty of water. We were there last August for a GC raft trip and it very pleasant weather.

Lauren will not do the North Rim - at least that's what I get from all his Posts against going there.

Hard to get a Real Feel for how Grand the Canyon is. :B .. :h

Lauren, I'm just messing with you,

Can't wait to see the Images this Year.

Bill
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lauren, no dropoffs on 150 -- it is an easy drive. And yes, Mirror Lake is near the summit.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
In Page, Az, we toured the slot canyons where the photography is great--Antelope Canyon. How about the north rim of the Grand Canyon? Also Marble Canyon, Az there are some historic hikes at Lee's Ferry--bring plenty of water. We were there last August for a GC raft trip and it very pleasant weather.

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Our kinda thing if not too narrow and dropoffs with no guard rails. Is Mirror Lake the summit?

My friend Nikki (my Nikon) is getting excited about all this!
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lauren -- if by "interesting" you mean the 150 is twisty, it is not bad at all. Great views, especially near the summit.
About our trailer

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Oh my - thanks! And maybe more coming. We DO NOT plan to be in SLC - you can count on that - bad enuf to drive thru!

Heber City was about as close and as far up as I had planned at this point. Then I saw Kamas and hmmm. The drive up the 150 looks "interesting".

We have been to Bryce, Zion (went to Kolob secton years ago and want to get back & also Brian Head), Cap Reef (Thousand Lakes 3 times) and will include those again. As well as Page & Kanab again. And some of the other more common ones.

Been to Mon Valley, Blanding and up a few times - will be too hot there then so staying up and down the 89 - I15 area. With a side trip to Cap Reef. (Ken, you would appreciate this - we hiked up the plateau and went one end to the other and back; can't even imagine it now)

This thread is doing exactly what I wanted - tossing out ideas and I see many that I would never have thought of. Thanks to all so far!

Lauren
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ken, good point about the Mirror Lake area -- how could I forget? We were just there during September:

High Uintas
About our trailer

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe too warm in the summer, but if you haven't explored this area it is worth it. If you need full hookups, you can stay at Blue Mountain RV park in Blanding, UT, and explore some interesting nearby photo opportunities. Mule Canyon is about 20 miles west of Blanding, and among the ruins is House on Fire, well worth the 1 mile hike over fairly flat ground.

A bit further down UT 95 takes you to Natural Bridges National Monument, lots of arches along the drive through the monument.

South off UT 261 on Cigarette Springs Road is the Fallen Roof Ruin. A bit more difficult hike, but again, well worth it.

Further south on UT 261 is a dirt road on the right just above the Moki Dugway is Muley Point Road. Drive to the end for an almost 360ยฐ view of the valley below. If you venture down the Dugway, Goosenecks State Park has a great view of multiple goosenecks on the San Juan River.

Continue through Mexican Hat (worth a stop to photograph the unusual formation) to Monument Valley on the Arizona border.