cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TR: Sawtooths/Rainier/Desolation/Eastern Sierra

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We went to the Stanley, Idaho, area for the eclipse, and then to Rainier, and Tahoe, and the Desolation Wilderness, and the Eastern Sierra -- a month of hiking and biking, in total. Lots of boondocking, some dry camping, only a few days in transit in RV parks. Strenuous but fun. We got back two weeks ago, and it took me that long just to go through the photos (and unpack). Here are links to our four blog posts:

Part I -- The Sawtooths

Part II -- Rainier

Part III -- The Desolation Wilderness

Part IV -- The Eastern Sierra

And here is a "teaser" shot -- this is Recreational Beverage Time at our campsite in Idaho, a few miles outside of Stanley:

Click For Full-Size Image.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
8 REPLIES 8

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
Great fishing, too!
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't get me started about Redfish Lake -- we were shocked at how clear and beautiful the water was, and not too cold, either. Great for swimming after a hot hike!
About our trailer

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
Any road you head up in the Sawtooths has dispersed camping dotted along it. Some sites are better than others, but all of them are nicer than being packed right next to your neighbor in a glorified parking lot. The only reason I would pay for a campsite in that area is if I needed to be right on Redfish Lake for some reason. As it is, I'm happy to park at a day use beach to slide my kayak into the water and camp away from the madness.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cal, there is so much boondocking available in the Stanley area -- we could hardly believe our eyes. I had done a lot of "scouting" on Google Earth before the trip, but there is no substitute for "boots on the ground." If you like to hike or fish, this is an area well worth visiting.

There is good mtn biking, too, but much of it was a little too steep for my tastes. Back in the day, steep was good. Not so much anymore. ๐Ÿ˜‰
About our trailer

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Still reading slowly, as I copy several of your campsite location into my GPS software. You two sure get around -- and post great TRs.
Felice greeted the mountains in her pajamas. (That is ambiguous; for the record, there are no mountains in her pajamas.)

Dan -- I don't know about you. How about jumping out of a small incident into deep do-do.

Wow -- what a great site for the eclipse.
Cal

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
BizmarksMom, we were surprised at the lack of crowds in Stanley, unlike Madras, Oregon. The whole Stanley Basin is a slice of heaven. We talked to a ranger who said that much of the open space was acquired via "scenic easements," in which the ranchers agreed not to develop their parcels. That sounds like a win-win!
About our trailer

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
You found one of my favorite campsites! I was in Stanley, which wasn't crowded at all. If you had stayed at Elk Mtn., you would have been camped with Slooh and NASA. That's where they set up their telescopes.

And, yes, you did see Bailey's Beads. I had binoculars out, so got a better view. I was too busy watching to get any photos.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Such great photographers.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad