cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Texas/SE NM during Spring Break - just getting our trailer

CampinHappy
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased our trailer 1-30-21 and won't take delivery for a week or two. Now I'm trying to find a 4-6 day cruise around central Texas or even the gulf coast from west Texas and I'm not finding any state or national park (Big Bend) availability.

We might end up boondocking up in the mountains around Cloudcroft, but I'm concerned about the Covid restrictions and weather in New Mexico.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
CampinHappy
West Texas Region
2021 Premier 29RK, 2017 F-150 pulling it fine
Former covered wagons include:

2007 K-Z Spree 240 BH with triple bunks for my 3 amigos
Formerly a 99 Coleman Niagara PUP
wife version 1.0 (so far :B) 4 boys who have flown the coop ๐Ÿ™‚
11 REPLIES 11

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
all state parks in NM are currently shut down, before the complete shut down it was NM residents only. They checked drivers license on all occupants if you did not have NM plates. No idea when the governor will reopen and I suspect when it does it will again be NM residents only. Cloudcroft will be cold and could have snow.

Cloudcroft, New Mexico gets 30 inches of rain, on average, per year. The US average is 38 inches of rain per year. Cloudcroft averages 69 inches of snow per year.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Fredericksburg, Kerrville, Bandera.
We are way overdue.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

CampinHappy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. Lwiddis, we're doing a shakedown to Davis Mountain SP in a few weeks and of course a couple of nights at good ole camp Driveway. This is our third trailer and we've been doing this for over 15 years, but definitely I agree a good shakedown before we go out on a longer trip.

I love that everybody loves Hords Creek, we went there probably 20 times when we lived in central Texas and had great experiences with our boys there. But for just me and the Wifey, sitting at the lake for a week isn't what we're looking for. We may look at some of the private campgrounds down around Fredricksburg or even venture over to the piney woods, but the state parks for the most part are booked. Thanks for all the ideas.
CampinHappy
West Texas Region

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Hords Creek.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
How about Canyon Lake, Potters Creek? We are booked there for end of March.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
You mentioned Central Texas. There is no better time to visit, especially around Fredericksburg than April. We prefer the KOA at Fredericksburg. Inks Lake State Park is ideal but may be difficult to get a reservation even now. I often try for a couple of weekday nights then supplement with something like the KOA. There are also some nice choices around Kerrville.

You might enjoy a visit to our part of the state--Northeast Texas. Springtime is also a beautiful time to visit here. There is Tyler State Park, Daingerfield SP, Bob Sandlin SP, and Atlanta SP. Again, it might be difficult to get into Tyler SP, but my comment above also applies here--try a couple of weekday nights. It would be worth it.

There are two COE lakes which have excellent campgrounds: Lake 'O The Pines with Buckhorn Campground and Brushy Creek Campground. There is also Wright Patman Lake with my favorite, Spring Creek Campground. Atlanta SP, mentioned above, is on Wright Patman.

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered Ft. Davis and Davis Mountain area? I agree with Hords Creek Lake! Had a very nice site, with privacy and quiet last time there. (April)

CampinHappy
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw and Valhalla,

Hords creek used to be one of our favorites when we lived near Brownwood. I didn't think about COE, great idea. The wifey nixed the gulf coast, too many college spring breakers (that I used to be a part of , so I should know better). I'll check into the COE campgrounds. THanks!
CampinHappy
West Texas Region

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Your first trip should be near home and a Walmart. Practice removing a TT tire and reinstalling. First time shouldnโ€™t be at night in the wind and rain on the side of the road.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Is it a requirement to stay in a state/NP?

We are in RGV and the parks are darn near empty. We just came from Port Aransas and while not empty, they had plenty of sites (private parks)
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Spring Break is an extremely busy time of year at Big Bend NP.

I'm also finding Texas SP heavily booked for weekends months in advance.

I lost over $100 last year when the state of NM cancelled several paid state park reservations we had in June, July, Aug and Sep.

Don't know how far east you want to go, but there might be availability at some COE campgrounds near Canyon Lake, Proctor Lake, Hords Creek Lake.

Over the past 9 years, I found March to be busy and crowded in Texas as a lot of people put their rigs on the road for the first time of the year.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT