cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stealth Camping or Layovering

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
This is a related subject to boondocking and dry camping. I'm not sure I've broached the subject here. We have stealth camped for decades and find it works well in cities large and small even with our only medium stealthy rig. Here is a link to probably the best thread on the subject: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/92447-Tips-for-Stealth-Overnight-Parking-and-Building-a-Stealth-Vehicle?highlight=jefe4x4
The first 16 pages or so stay on point, but there is some digression after that.
In order to make our truck camper more stealthy I'm going to white-out the windows, loose the decals, and use a hook for the steps to lift them up to the large hanger on the rear ladder of the camper. Beyond all that, it's where and when you park that makes the most difference.
The author sets out his ideas on being truly stealthy and how it's not trying to deceive anyone but stay within the laws.
Actually, I see more and more Millennials giving up on buying a stick house and just buying a large white M.B. Van and living in it to conduct their oh-so-portable I.T. gig. Better than their parents' basement.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar
151 REPLIES 151

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Haupt,
Well, maybe not so serious. 8<)
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
jefe 4x4 wrote:
jefe here. I think i was the O.P.
It's been a long time since I was run out of town on a self righteous rail.
I do have these observations:

2. With the exception of Haupt, who seems like a serious guy, I hope I never have the pleasure of running into any of you out in the outback.

jefe

yeeeeeesssssssssssss

Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
jefe 4x4 wrote:
1. This is singularly the greatest collection of misfits I have ever witnessed on any forum.
2. With the exception of Haupt, who seems like a serious guy, I hope I never have the pleasure of running into any of you out in the outback.
3. Life is too short to constantly entertain the frivolous.
4. If you want to continue this mindless pissing match, take it elsewhere.
5. It's time to move onto subjects a bit more serious.
jefe

LOL!! .... that's great!! ..... LOL!!
05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
1. This is singularly the greatest collection of misfits I have ever witnessed on any forum.
3. Life is too short to constantly entertain the frivolous.
4. If you want to continue this mindless pissing match, take it elsewhere.
5. It's time to move onto subjects a bit more serious.
jefe

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
LenSatic wrote:
garyhaupt wrote:
LenSatic wrote:
BoonHauler wrote:
Gary, it's still considered a 4x4 even though you have dually's (6 tires on the ground).

6x6's are three axle vehicles that all three axles have power to them ....

Isn't it Wheels x Drive-axles? So a dually would be 6x4 and an Army 6x6 has 6 wheels and 6 drive-axles.

LS

See?

Gary

No, I was wrong. It's the number of axle-ends (left/right) times the number that are driven. So an Army Deuce and a Half with 10 wheels was still a 6x6. So, your dually would still be a 4x4. The number of wheels is irrelevant. (Made me go back to the books, er, uh, Google.) ๐Ÿ˜‰

LS

LS

As far as I know Len is correct, you have a 4x4. The amount of tires on the ground doesn't matter, it's the axles. 4x2 means two axles with one drive axle. 4x4 means two drive axles and 6x6 means three drive axles.
05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Phil..that is the way it came from the store. All Triple E Regals have that.

Gary

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gary ... I just noticed that one piece fiberglass shell piece covering the front of your overhead cabover section!!!!

Where on Earth did that come from? What a great idea and (aftermarket?) feature.

Please explain.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gary,

I disagree with probably just about everyone above (not unusual for me) ... in that I mis-implied that your rig is only "4WD". ๐Ÿ˜‰

Your outstanding one-is-all-you-need Class C is indeed a 6X6 (whenever both differentials are applying power to all of their axles). The only thing that counts is how many tire treads are pulling on Mother Earth to provide traction. You have six (6) tires doing this, just like with the big Army rigs ... hence "6X6" applies to you.

Your only difference from the Army rigs is you have to be careful off-highway to NOT GET just the right sized sharp rocks stuck in between you rear duals, which is not a concern with tandem axles. HOWEVER ... I'll bet that on soft surfaces side-by-side tires in dually sets will tend to sink in less than will tandem tires that are following each other in the same rut.

One is all you need .... buy the right one once .... and keep on truckin' without getting stuckin'. :B and :C
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Can I brag some?

As you can see...6 inch lift and 4x4 conversion..manual hubs.
Hand cranked boat rack
250w solar
Triple E so it's really well insulated
12,000 Warn winch
Custom Aluminess bumper with set of LightForce lamps inset
Armour plated under the rear to protect the tanks and plumbing.
VHF and CB

It may not be able to go anywhere but it will go anywhere I want to go.

Gary Haupt

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
LenSatic wrote:
DrewE wrote:
LenSatic wrote:

No, I was wrong. It's the number of axle-ends (left/right) times the number that are driven. So an Army Deuce and a Half with 10 wheels was still a 6x6. So, your dually would still be a 4x4. The number of wheels is irrelevant. (Made me go back to the books, er, uh, Google.) ๐Ÿ˜‰

LS

...and a 2x1 (with one driven wheel, but around twice as many gear ratios as the other two put together).

Like a Can-Am Spyder?

LS

Not quite...it's a Diamondback Trace ST. 21 speeds, two pedals, and the "motor" could use a tune-up and some general maintenance for better range and hill-climbing ability.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
A 4x4 without locking diffs is a 4x2. Rear locking/posi is a 4x3.
Puma 30RKSS

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Well whattaya know.

All this time I thought people advertising AWD rigs on craigslist and calling them 4x4s were idjits and really it was me who was the idjit.

Don't know why that should surprise me : B
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
LenSatic wrote:

LS

...and a 2x1 (with one driven wheel, but around twice as many gear ratios as the other two put together).

Like a Can-Am Spyder?

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
LenSatic wrote:

LS

What I always wondered is why a 4x4 with duallies is still called "four wheel drive" when clearly there are six wheels being driven. I guess maybe the number of wheels is also irrelevant for the number of "wheel drive" designation?

I guess I own, for street legal vehicles, a 4x2 (with two driven wheels), a 4x2 (with four driven wheels), and a 2x1 (with one driven wheel, but around twice as many gear ratios as the other two put together).