cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Southern Texas Campgrounds

The_Works
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking for a nice, fairly inexpensive ($900.00 per month or less) campground for this winter in southern Texas. since we are not familiar with southern Texas I cant say where we want to stay. Campground doesn't need to have a lot of amenities, only swimming pool, tennis, dog park but must be safe, clean, nice and campers not inches apart. We have a 40 foot 5th wheel with five slide outs. Any ideas?
4 REPLIES 4

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
Mustang Hollow Campground-Mathis, TX.--Its on Lake Corpus Christi. Has to be our favorite Campground in S. Texas. We had a site on the Lake-lots of space between sites-full hook-up-they make their own-homemade-pizza, to order. If in the area we definitely head there:)
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
About 20 miles to the east of what PawPaw_n_Gram posted and with a lot less people is this park Ranchero Village. It doesn't have the tennis court that you wanted but just about everything else one could want. I believe the rent went up $5 per month. We've spent the last 2 winters there and hope we are going back again this winter.
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed at Alamo Rec-Veh Park in Alamo. That might meet what you want. Alamo Rec Their rates for the season are reasonable - several friends stay for a 3-month visit last winter - Rates

We also have several friends who stay at Casa Del Sol in nearby Donna Casa Del Sol

We have also stayed at some of the Encore parks in the area - Alamo Palms RV Rates for those corporate owned parks can be harder to determine.

All of the parks I've mentioned are close to US-83/ I-2 in nicely populated areas. There are no troubles from 'illegals' but do be aware this is a metropolitan area of close to a million and half people.

Mainly working level families, many have been in the agricultural business in the area since long before there was a state of Texas, even a United States. Median incomes are in the low teens.

All of the parks I've mentioned are gated and have a minimal level of security, but while theft is very rare, it is not unheard of.

That said, thousands of people leave their winter homes (rv's, park models, mobile homes) for months at a time with no problems.

We feel completely safe in the area. And visiting our dentists in Progresso, Mex, and cross border shopping trips or just for an afternoon's food and entertainment.

Others do not.

Spanish is spoken by the vast majority of the people, and while it is preferred by many, we've never had a problem anywhere.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

swphotobug
Explorer
Explorer
Why don't you look in campgroundreviews.com?