cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tennessee/North Carolina - Cool summer weather

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I'm heading to the southern Blue Ridge Mountains area - east Tennessee, west North Carolina, north Georgia - to spend the summer. I'm looking for a place where I won't have to run the AC a lot and I like rain. It's my first trip there. I want a smaller city that would have enough people that it has at least 1 Walmart and maybe a Planet Fitness. Finding a nice RV park in the area with reasonable monthly rates is also a big factor.

There's also the potential I might decide to retire to a smaller city that I like. Or I might decide to make the trip each year and winter in Florida or South Texas (where I am now). I've even thought about buying 2 old RVs and keeping one up north and one down south, then I wouldn't need a tow vehicle. Just close one up when the seasons change and go to the other one. Do people actually do that or did I think of that idea?

I've been researching the area and I see 3 or 4 candidates. If you know the area well and want to suggest another please let me know. The list is in my order of favorites based on my Internet research.

4 - Helen, Georgia
Correction: it has a lot of rain, but the temps are a little warm, and it's very small. I could drive about 15 minutes into Cleveland for Walmart. I think some areas nearby may be higher elevation and lower temps.

3 - Asheville, North Carolina
The weather is a little warm and not as wet, it's a little big at about 100,000, it's a college town, which I like. On the negative side, I've been reading it's having a crime problem.

2 - Crossville, Tennessee
It has good weather, and it's about 12,000. I might like something a little bigger, but it might work. (I moved this up to number 2)

1 - Boone, North Carolina
It has good weather and it's about 20,000. Goldilocks says that might be just right.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV
15 REPLIES 15

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
DallasSteve wrote:
Bob806 wrote:
Waterfalls

Brevard

Check out the area near Brevard, NC "Land of Waterfalls," I bet you won't be disappointed.

Thanks for that tip. Brevard has good weather for me. There's a Walmart in the area and Planet Fitness over in Hendersonville. Do you have any recommendations on a longer term park in the area with monthly rates? I found the Land Of Waterfalls RV park for $750 per month plus electric. That looks to be typical for prices in the area. And that's a great map of the waterfalls. I like waterfalls. Who doesn't?

Honestly I'm not sure about long term-type RV parks. When we visited around 5-6 years ago, we stayed 4 nights at Black Forest Family Camping park, not sure what their policies would be on that. Maybe contact a chamber of commerce down that way. Good luck!

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Bob806 wrote:
Waterfalls

Brevard

Check out the area near Brevard, NC "Land of Waterfalls," I bet you won't be disappointed.

Thanks for that tip. Brevard has good weather for me. There's a Walmart in the area and Planet Fitness over in Hendersonville. Do you have any recommendations on a longer term park in the area with monthly rates? I found the Land Of Waterfalls RV park for $750 per month plus electric. That looks to be typical for prices in the area. And that's a great map of the waterfalls. I like waterfalls. Who doesn't?

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Bob806 wrote:
Waterfalls

Brevard

Thanks for that tip. Brevard has good weather for me. Do you have any recommendations on a longer term park in the area with monthly rates? I found the Land Of Waterfalls RV park for $750 per month plus electric. That looks to be typical for prices in the area. And that's a great map of the waterfalls. I like waterfalls. Who doesn't?

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
DallasSteve wrote:
ken56 wrote:
Black Mountain is not close to Boone, it's east of Asheville about 20 miles. Look at the Lake Lure area....stayed in a condo there a few years back. Its a peaceful place not all that far out of Asheville. Don't get me wrong, the wife and I like the Asheville area as we go to the Biltmore quite a bit being season pass holders. A ton of things to do and see plus great restaurants. Lake Lure/Chimney Rock is more peaceful. You want cool weather in the mountains and I assume peace and quite. Boone offers that....except it can still get hot, just not Texas hot. Love going to the Bolivar Peninsula and Galveston too ourselves.

You say Boone gets hot. According to Wikipedia it's cooler than the other 3 cities in my original list. They have a climate chart that shows summer highs in the upper 70s. That might actually be a little cool for me, but I have heat, too. Do you think this data is wrong?

I just say it can still get into the 80's but due to its elevation it may only be for the mid day hours. The weather data you cite is an aggerate in general. Still it may offer the climate you are looking for along with the city amenities close by combined with the peace and quiet of a great campground. I love the area myself but don't go there very often. I live by Douglas Lake in Dandridge TN and love it here. Still gets hot here in the valley (still at 1000 ft. elevation) in the summer....many days in the 90's. Just trying to be helpful here, not argumentative.

Wikipedia: Boone, North Carolina

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
Waterfalls

Brevard

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
We live half way between Boone and Ashville,and I wouldn't live in either place.
Ashville is not a college town and last year half the police force quit

Boone is a college town and during the school year the place is a zoo

There are a dozen beautiful small towns west of Ashville

Guy

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
ken56 wrote:
Black Mountain is not close to Boone, it's east of Asheville about 20 miles. Look at the Lake Lure area....stayed in a condo there a few years back. Its a peaceful place not all that far out of Asheville. Don't get me wrong, the wife and I like the Asheville area as we go to the Biltmore quite a bit being season pass holders. A ton of things to do and see plus great restaurants. Lake Lure/Chimney Rock is more peaceful. You want cool weather in the mountains and I assume peace and quite. Boone offers that....except it can still get hot, just not Texas hot. Love going to the Bolivar Peninsula and Galveston too ourselves.

You say Boone gets hot. According to Wikipedia it's cooler than the other 3 cities in my original list. They have a climate chart that shows summer highs in the upper 70s. That might actually be a little cool for me, but I have heat, too. Do you think this data is wrong?

Wikipedia: Boone, North Carolina

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
20mi is pretty close---Hendersonville, Linville, Saluda, Blowing Rock, Forest City, Newland, Banner Elk, Lots of places in that area. I have no interest in Builtmore but have stayed a few times at the Grove Park Inn. And Asheville has a few draw backs but we have spent some time there in the last few years and haven't been bothered by any of it. Buy a motor home---just unhook and ride to your next adventure.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
ken56 wrote:
I've been to all of these places and out of all of those Boone is the best option IMO. It is a college town too, Appalachian State. Asheville has some very woke crazies in it and you better check out the crime rate there. Homeless are rampant now downtown. Campground choices may be limited too.

Crossville is a great town with lots of golf courses if you golf and other activities to do. The Cumberland County Playhouse is worth checking out. Lots of great campgrounds to pick from too.

Helen GA is a touristy town but isn't overwhelmingly so. Very rural and not an objectional distance to get to shopping.

Other suggestions for you might be Maggie Valley NC, Waynesville area or Bryson city area or the Cherokee NC area.

Thanks for those tips and thanks to everybody for their comments. I will definitely check out Boone. It sounds like Asheville might be worth a visit but not as a place to stay longer term. Someone also suggested Black Mountain which is close to Boone and Asheville. It appears to have good weather, too.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
You're not going to do without a/c in the Helen/Cleveland area. Not enough altitude.
-jbh-

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
I recommend Boone or Crossville. The other places get too crowded,
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I've been to all of these places and out of all of those Boone is the best option IMO. It is a college town too, Appalachian State. Asheville has some very woke crazies in it and you better check out the crime rate there. Homeless are rampant now downtown. Campground choices may be limited too.

Crossville is a great town with lots of golf courses if you golf and other activities to do. The Cumberland County Playhouse is worth checking out. Lots of great campgrounds to pick from too.

Helen GA is a touristy town but isn't overwhelmingly so. Very rural and not an objectional distance to get to shopping.

Other suggestions for you might be Maggie Valley NC, Waynesville area or Bryson city area or the Cherokee NC area.

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
You say a good thing about Asheville is that it's a college town. But Boone is much more of a college town than Asheville. When Appalachian State University is in session the population of Boone is about doubled (maybe more than doubled). I don't really consider Asheville a true college town, just a town with a college. Boone is also at a considerably higher elevation than Asheville, so it's cooler and less humid.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K