cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snowbird Refunds

Dream_Chaser_
Explorer
Explorer
We have a site in Florida that we rent by the year -- May 1st to April 30 -- and pay in advance to get a discount. Obviously this year, we will not be to make the trip and we are paid in full.

I am sure that many Snowbirds are in the same predicament and my question is:

Has your campground given you any type of refund or allowing you to use any part of your fee towards 2021-2022? I know it is not their fault we won't be there, but it would be nice if they gave some type of remuneration.

What is happening in your campground?
20 REPLIES 20

Geeze
Explorer
Explorer
Our parks policy is no refunds however they announced back in July that due to the virus they would allow cancellations up until 24 hours before your scheduled check in.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I got taken for a $200.00 deposit by a park in Edinburg TX. when I found I had to have surgery for cancer. Let them know on plenty of time. No concessions of any kind. I'm doing fine now, needless to say I'll never go back there.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
obgraham wrote:
If my experience with travel reservations is any guide, most places will refund you sometime, and a few will tell you "tough luck, pal". No doubt the latter will complain in the future that people aren't loyal to them.

And those that hand out full refunds may not be around next year at all. This is not the big bad rich campground owner kind of situation this year.

We picked up a seasonal site this past summer in Michigan when moving around was a hassle and there are quite a few Canadians who normally have sites there. The park charges 2 fees...membership and for permanent campsite (If you just buy the membership, you don't pay for a site but you have to move sites at least weekly). The owner allowed the Canadians to use the membership they already paid for in 2021.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
One constant will likely be that time is of the essence. The sooner you notify the park (giving them time to attempt to secure another renter) the more likely it will be that they will make accommodations. It is also possible you might lose some priority benefits such as getting a personal favorite site each year. Renters who do travel this year will want the best sites and your site would now be available for them to choose. They may very well have first dibs on that site in subsequent years.
I could also see parks having different policies based on where you are coming from. Since Canadians cannot cross the border with their RVs at this time the park may offer special consideration for them over someone from Michigan who just doesn't want to travel. The Canadians in this scenario have no choice, the Michigan resident is making a choice which is a big difference. To me, the Michigan resident choosing not to travel because of COVID is not much different than them choosing not to travel because the long range forecast is for a rainy winter in Florida or because the price of gas has risen 50 cents. Personally, I would have a very liberal policy on deposits for the Canadians and adhere to my standard refund policies for US residents.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
azdryheat wrote:
What's stopping you from making the trip? Will Canada still be closed next May? My bad, I thought you were talking 2021. Disregard.

I think it is entirely possible that the border may remain closed for much of 2021, including May.

It might open if there is an effective vaccine -- but in Canada 37 million doses will take a LONG time to administer.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

netjam
Explorer
Explorer
Had a bunch of 30 day stays booked for 2020/2021 and have been cancelling as the border will not allow me to cross from Canada with my rv. Got one full refund but most keep some of my money. The amount varies from one day charge withheld to one who kept $400.

Motor_City_Swag
Explorer
Explorer
I would certainly ask and if they say no refunds try applying the money to the next year. I am sure they have had many calls regarding this already and probably worked something out.

Motor City Swagman 2000 Bounder 36S
Ford V-10, Banks Power Pack w/ TC,
BrakeBuddy,Davis Tru Trac,Safe T Plus,Aventa II & Xplorer Sport Trac

:W

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
My Texas RV Park will apply 100% of any deposit to next year as long as the reservation is changed 30 prior to expected arrival for this season. The policy is not advertised and the changed must be made by phone
Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
If I were you I would have called and asked by now,,,,
2010 Suncruiser

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
That's why I like owning our rv lot!

Never have to worry if we don't get there

Guy

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
Would they let you rent it out seeing you may not be able to go down? Maybe if they could re-rent it for you they might refund your money, just a thought.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
A number of hotels that I used to frequent had a discount rate but you paid the charge no matter what happened that caused you not to arrive. Florida might have a contract damage mitigation statute.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dream_Chaser! wrote:
I would be more than happy if the park applied 50% of this year's fees to next year.

I know it is not my fault nor is the campground's that I cannot go this year. A little bit of a break on their end will certainly encourage me to go back when the border opens.

Have you called and discussed this with the CG ???

Each CG would have their own policy.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Dream_Chaser_
Explorer
Explorer
I would be more than happy if the park applied 50% of this year's fees to next year.

I know it is not my fault nor is the campground's that I cannot go this year. A little bit of a break on their end will certainly encourage me to go back when the border opens.