cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shenandoah National Park in April

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking of visiting Shenandoah NP the first week in April.
I have 3 kids, ages 16, 14, and 10.
Any recommendations on places to stay or things to do?
We have a 35 foot travel trailer. Full hook up is preferred but we'll settle for electric only if the campground is nice.
Thanks
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog
15 REPLIES 15

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions. We're staying at Luray KOA for a night, then on to Misty Mountain RV park before heading down to South Carolina for 2 days to visit Charleston and Congaree NP. We'll stop in West Virginia at the coal mine on the way home.
Thanks for all of the suggestions.
2018 Ford F150 FX4

Navy_Smoker
Explorer
Explorer
We use Shenandoah River State Park (Virginia) in early Spring or late fall. It is about 5 miles from the North entrance to the Skyline Drive.
Bill (CDR, USN (Ret))& Kathleen (retired homemaker)
Mingo & Maverick (Aussie Shepherds)
2016 Winnebago Vista
Competition BBQ Team Leader

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
It's a **** shoot, at best. Yes, SNP is lovely, and yes, I understand that you have hats and mittens. But you won't get electric hookups at any of the SNP campgrounds. And if you opt to stay at a campground outside the park, you'll be doing a lot of driving up and down the winding mountain pass roads every time you want to go up into the park.

If you look at the weather forecast 7 to 10 days ahead of your trip, and it looks like it will work for you, and if you can bring a generator or do without electric for the duration, then you'll probably have a great time. I like the Big Meadows campground for a lot of reasons. Lurray Caverns will be a great day trip for all of you.

But, I'd have a "Plan B" for poor weather. You could get a solid week of low 40's, upper 30's and rain, rain, rain. Who needs that?

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great time of year to see bears and April is fine weather. Heck we had 77 degrees today. I used to live 6 miles drone the northern entrance. Now I live closer to the middle of the drive. It is a great to,e to go. I second KOA in Luray.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
michigansandzillaโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ

Visiting Shenandoah NP is GREAT and time of the year and in any weather. On clear sunny days the view is awesome. On cool foggy days its a treat watching the fog roll up the mountain.

Your can click here to view our journal. Hope the narrative and pictures help.

We are thinking about visiting Luray again this year in the Sept/Aug timeframe.

Enjoy your trip.

runeatcamp
Explorer
Explorer
Highly recommend staying at the Luray KOA. Huge beautiful clean sites, great views, full hookup. Ten minute drive to the Thornton Gap.
2018 Grand Design Reflection Fifth Wheel 28BH
2019 Ford F-350 SD 6.7 L

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed at Andy Guest campground at Shennandoah River State Park. They don't have full hook ups but it's a nice campground and fairly close to Luray and Skyline Drive.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

lewisr
Explorer
Explorer
michigansandzilla wrote:

We're currently looking for something low key, inexpensive, and 600 miles or less from home to keep to 1 day of driving. National Parks are a plus because I'm a National Park junkie.
Shenandoah fits the bill.

of course you know, your 10yo is in 4th grade, wink wink.
'14 F-150 Super Crew 3.5EB 3.73
'19 Heritage Glen 282RK

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at Natural Tunnel SP in Virginia for a really low-key, off the beaten path area. There are lots of hiking trails, the "tunnel", caving trips, the "Devil's Bathtub" (google it for pics).

That's my territory and it is a great place.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the campgrounds can accomodate your camper. Non of the campgrounds in the paek have hookups.We stayed at Big Meadows and they allowed generators. Loft Mountain is nice.If you don't have a generator,Sherando Lake is east of mile marker 18 of the Blue Ridge Parkway. They have electric.The problem with staying outside the park is it takes so long to get anywhere because the speed limit is 35mph.It takes 3 to 4 hours just to drive through the park.If you stay at Sherando,you could also see some of the Blue Ridge Parkway. There is a visitor center near the north entrance.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I could see the Skyline Drive from my old house near the North entrance. CGs on the Skyline Drive are old with only basic amenities. They're nice, just not a lot for kids unless they're into nature and hikes. If you camp on the Drive near the Route 211 crossover, you can take day trips towards DC or west to Luray, where you'll find more kid-friendly stuff. I doubt you'll have snow, but maybe ice at higher elevations, in which case the Drive may shut down.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
Merrykalia wrote:
I know there are several places to stay, but I also know that the first week of April, the weather will be "iffy". You may have 70 degree weather or you may have 20 degree weather with snow. If you are going to be there for a week, you might even have both!

Yes we're aware thanks. It's spring break for the kids and we'd like to get out of the house. It's too far for us to go to Florida, etc. We have hats and gloves.
2018 Ford F150 FX4

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
michigansandzilla wrote:
We have a 35 foot travel trailer. Full hook up is preferred but we'll settle for electric only if the campground is nice.
Thanks

The following ideas/statement/thoughts are just ME - So I'm not sure if/ they might work for YOU and your Crew. ๐Ÿ™‚

First off - Weather is a little early - but with any Luck will be Great - So Options should be in your plans.

Hikes and views are probably a One Day Deal - This is not the Rockies, while still beautiful with views and some vistas just not the same as out West. (JMHO) - So I'll suggest that a Trip into Charlottesville might be an option, with the 16 YO UVA might stir some interest, not to mention a little history lesson.

Then if you are up for it a trip over to Williamsburg - Check to be sure it's not full of High school Field Trips?!? But again a lot of history with Bush Gardens and the walking tours of Old Colonial Williamsburg. as you will be there early the weather should still be Cool and walking and Biking will be Fun. If UVA was a hit the College of William and Mary might just also stir some Interest.

OK - I've totally dished your Trip - so to Complete the Loop maybe DC is in your future for the drive Home (Avoid Rush Hour) but the Museums and sites are for Real - Truely a National Park Experience that can never be seen/visited/experienced too often. I live just outside DC and we still go into town to visit the Sites......and the Kids when they are here will try to get their kids into town - again and again.

So there you go - a normal RV'ers reply - totally, well not totally, but close to Totally, dished your Questions, Having read a few of your posts from other trips - think this might at least stir your interest.

Anyhow, Great time to be in the area - Only thing I left out was the Possibility of seeing/visiting the Ocean - not a summer Trip but still - IMHO - a slight option (Think Assateague Island and the Horses)- Be sure to have Good Shoes/Boots/Rain Gear/Camera/Hats, sunglasses/...... weather is all over the map but often Great - Sites, in DC, are all over the map but always Great.

Best of Luck and let us Know what the final plan is,

Sorry - I'm not one to recommend camp grounds - I can remember a few but generally I visit an area not a CG:)

Thanks for the response. We've been to Assateague (beautiful), DC (wonderful), and we just returned from a 16 day trip out west to Yellowstone and the Tetons. We're currently looking for something low key, inexpensive, and 600 miles or less from home to keep to 1 day of driving. National Parks are a plus because I'm a National Park junkie.
Shenandoah fits the bill.
2018 Ford F150 FX4

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
michigansandzilla wrote:
Thanks

The following ideas/statement/thoughts are just ME - So I'm not sure if/ they might work for YOU and your Crew. ๐Ÿ™‚

First off - Weather is a little early - but with any Luck will be Great - So Options should be in your plans.

Hikes and views are probably a One Day Deal - This is not the Rockies, while still beautiful with views and some vistas just not the same as out West. (JMHO) - So I'll suggest that a Trip into Charlottesville might be an option, with the 16 YO UVA might stir some interest, not to mention a little history lesson.

Then if you are up for it a trip over to Williamsburg - Check to be sure it's not full of High school Field Trips?!? But again a lot of history with Bush Gardens and the walking tours of Old Colonial Williamsburg. as you will be there early the weather should still be Cool and walking and Biking will be Fun. If UVA was a hit the College of William and Mary might just also stir some Interest.

OK - I've totally dished your Trip - so to Complete the Loop maybe DC is in your future for the drive Home (Avoid Rush Hour) but the Museums and sites are for Real - Truely a National Park Experience that can never be seen/visited/experienced too often. I live just outside DC and we still go into town to visit the Sites......and the Kids when they are here will try to get their kids into town - again and again.

So there you go - a normal RV'ers reply - totally, well not totally, but close to Totally, dished your Questions, Having read a few of your posts from other trips - think this might at least stir your interest.

Anyhow, Great time to be in the area - Only thing I left out was the Possibility of seeing/visiting the Ocean - not a summer Trip but still - IMHO - a slight option (Think Assateague Island and the Horses)- Be sure to have Good Shoes/Boots/Rain Gear/Camera/Hats, sunglasses/...... weather is all over the map but often Great - Sites, in DC, are all over the map but always Great.

Best of Luck and let us Know what the final plan is,

Sorry - I'm not one to recommend camp grounds - I can remember a few but generally I visit an area not a CG:)
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach