Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Seneca Lake Area

Hector_Bravo
Explorer
Explorer
Good Day All,

I am looking for destination ideas around the upper-half of Seneca Lake in upstate NY on either the east or west side. I know Watkins Glen is a popular Seneca Lake destination but that puts over an hour from my wife's family up near Brutus and she would like to be closer. Are there any interesting towns long the lake?

If you have campground suggestions we will need full hook ups as we will be in the area for a couple of weeks and the Mrs. likes her glamping. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks!
The Bravos
2013 Jay Flight 26 RLS
2014 Ford F 250 Super Duty 6.2
14 REPLIES 14

Hector_Bravo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!
The Bravos
2013 Jay Flight 26 RLS

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
It's been a few years, but we were disappointed that the waterfront site we had did not have an unobstructed view of the lake. There were, in fact, only a hand full of sites that overlooked the lake. As I said, this was a while back and may have been improved since. I see little sense in a waterfront campground that does not focus on or has access to the lake.

Hector_Bravo
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. Iโ€™ll check it out, too.
The Bravos
2013 Jay Flight 26 RLS

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
http://senecachamber.chambermaster.com/list/member/kendaia-campgrounds-store-romulus-397there is a small mom and pop campground riht near Sampson. kendaia campground. Ican tell you nothng about it except theylist full hookups on their hand painted plywood sign out front

Hector_Bravo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks MKC.
The Bravos
2013 Jay Flight 26 RLS

Hector_Bravo
Explorer
Explorer
Speakeasy-hiking, biking and boating are all in our wheelhouse. Of course my wife and her sister will be looking for shops to explore. And, did you mention wineryโ€™s??? ๐Ÿ™‚
The Bravos
2013 Jay Flight 26 RLS

mkc
Explorer
Explorer
SpeakEasy wrote:
If you're looking for a full-service RV resort, there are a couple that I know of in the area, but not right on Seneca Lake. There's Junius Ponds RV Park, which is a bit north of the lake. Unfortunately it is right next to I90 - the NYS Thruway. So - lots of highway noise. I've never stayed there. A bit to the west is the Canandaigua KOA. Again, I've never stayed there.

We have stayed at Junius Ponds twice. It's been a few years, but the comment about road noise is valid. If you are only there for a couple of days I believe they have sites closer to the camp store which will be a little bit quieter. The park is primarily (we'll say 80-90% or so) seasonals and seems to stay quite full during warm months, so do call ahead if you opt for that.

We found it to be a good location for exploring the Finger Lakes (and much more wallet-friendly than the Watkins Glen KOA).
2017 LTV Unity

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
If you're looking for a full-service RV resort, there are a couple that I know of in the area, but not right on Seneca Lake. There's Junius Ponds RV Park, which is a bit north of the lake. Unfortunately it is right next to I90 - the NYS Thruway. So - lots of highway noise. I've never stayed there. A bit to the west is the Canandaigua KOA. Again, I've never stayed there.

It's a beautiful area. I have a seasonal tent site on the shores of Cayuga Lake, and I spend about 45 nights every summer there. I keep a cruising sailboat on the lake, and I sail just about every day while I'm there.

There really aren't any sizable towns along the shores of Seneca Lake - east or west. Geneva is at the north end, and Watkins Glen is at the south end. If you're into estate wineries, you'll be in heaven. There are hundreds of them in the region, and some of them have world-class wines. Hiking, biking, boating, fishing are all very popular activities. If you give me some idea of the kinds of activities you like, I may be able to give you some tips.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

Hector_Bravo
Explorer
Explorer
I did a look at the park and while it looks beautiful it doesnโ€™t have the hookups I need. My wife is ok with limited services for a few days but for a couple of weeks she will get pretty tired of โ€œwatching resources โ€œ.

What can you tell me about where you stayed and what there is to do? We stayed near Lake Ontario this year so we explored that area a bit Skaneateles and visited Niagara. Looking for new places to explore. ??
The Bravos
2013 Jay Flight 26 RLS

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like Sampson SP only has electric at the campsites.

I don't know what else is around. I can only tell you that a couple months ago, we stayed at Sned-Acres Campground along Cayuga Lake and found it very pleasant.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, Sampson State Park

Hector_Bravo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Iโ€™ll look into it.
The Bravos
2013 Jay Flight 26 RLS

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
I second Sampson SP but haven't been there in a few years. If they are still there up the road a bit in the fenced in area is where lots of all white deer live. They are not albino's.

cgjt
Explorer
Explorer
Sampson state park