cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Site UP Michigan - Finger Lakes

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
We have been to Michigan several times. Spent more time in lower MI. This year depending on Covid, we are thinking of taking a trip from OK to MO,Iowa,Wis, to the UP MI. Would love some suggestions. We were thinking Leaving around June hoping its not to early for up North. We are retired so no time frame.

We spent time at Walkins Glen - Finger lakes. Suggestions of other places to see and stay around the finger lakes? Thanks
I wanna go where I haven't been, but still wanna see what I've seen again!
18 REPLIES 18

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds as though your route takes your on the west side of Lake Michigan to the U.P. The Finger Lakes are all in New York; none in Michigan. Your original post did not indicate that you were going as far as New York.

If you are looking for wineries, distilleries, etc., there are some in the Michigan U.P. There are more in the Lower Peninsula. (Investigate Traverse City.) In the U.P., you need to eat pasties.

Have a good trip!
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. So many choices. Sorry for the confusion. I did mean the Finger Lakes in NY. We camped at Walkins Glen, NY Finger Lakes and it was so pretty. Visited wineries, Correll Glass museum, etc. I was wondering if there were any places to see on one of the other finger lakes.
Thanks again for all the suggestions. Mapping out what we want to do. We love all the places in MI. I have cousins in the Detroit area. We were also stationed in Oscoda, MI. Loved it. Thanks Deb

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Your comment about Finger Lakes was confusing to me; I looked it up and, amazingly, there is a tiny lake called Finger Lake in Ottawa NF near Watersmeet. Coincidence? Or did you get a little scrambled between MI and NY?

I grew up in MI, and we moved to OK 30 years ago. Along Lake Superior it can get quite chilly in June (heck, sometimes it's chilly in July!) from all that cold water. Farther inland it is warmer. Just figure on moving to a part that suits you for temps, because it can vary from day to day. Mosquitos can be thicker in June, too, but not usually so bad as to drive you out. Biting black flies along the shore are unpredictable and in pockets; if you hit a spot where they are, often you can go 15-20 miles down the road to escape them.

I have enjoyed the west unit CG of Porcupine Mountains SP, where one can walk a trail along one bank of the river, cross a bridge, and walk back along the other side; there are 3 waterfalls along the way. The east unit has a great view up high of Lake of the Clouds down below. A bit to the east of that, Ontonagon has a nice municipal CG on the shore, too.

McLain SP certainly is nice, if you can get a campsite. It's pretty busy. It's nice to bike or walk around the CG and then down to the south end of the park where there is (or was?) an ice cream shop. The drive along M-26 north to Copper Harbor is scenic, and I think people are welcome inside the monastery at Eagle River. If you like raspberries, see if you can pick up some of the local thimbleberry jam (if any is left from the previous year). Ft. Wilkins SP (as well as Fayette SP along Lk Michigan) have historic buildings and stuff to look at.

Personally, I like being up that way around August 1st when the raspberries, thimbleberries, and blueberries are growing wild along the shore area.

Speaking of Fayette SP, if you're down that way near Manistique, be sure to stop at Palms Book SP and see the Big Spring. The water is crystal clear, 40 feet deep.

Of course, the boat ride along the Pictured Rocks shoreline from Munising is entertaining, but you want to get a sunny day, and preferably take the 'sunset cruise' for best light on the rocks. Tickets are pricey, but it's worth doing one time anyway. I've read that the NF CG west of Munising (Bay Furnace CG) is nice.

Farther east, Grand Marais has a nice CG. Also Brimley SP near the Soo. Tahquamenon Falls and Whitefish Point have already been mentioned. If you get as far as St. Ignace, cross the Mackinaw Bridge and do the tourist thing around Mackinaw City; there's a fort and a couple of lighthouses to see, and fudge and trinkets to buy. Be sure to go to the local bakery for the best cinnamon bread ever, and some of their pecan rolls. Yum. A boat ride to Mackinac Island makes a nice day trip, but know that it will be at least 10 degrees cooler on the island as well as on the water, so take coats. If you have bicycles (or want to rent some over there), a ride all the way around the island is great fun (no cars, period).
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for all the information. We have been to the UP several times, but you all mentioned a lot of places and things we haven't seen. Thanks again. Deb

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm not a water or boat or ship person at all, but we were at the Shipwreck Museum in Whitefish Point a few years ago, and the story boards they have there were extremely interesting to me.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
In the UP, besides the spots mentioned, take a look at Union Bay CG in the Porcupine Mountains (just west on Ontanogan), and Jack Pine CG near Manistique. We have been to the UP several times, the last time in June which we didn't like as much due to biting flies & mosquitoes..probably depends on the timing of winter thaw with the bugs.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
If you end up planing to spend time in the UP, two things you should not miss are:
The Museum at Whitefish point
The Locks at Sault Saint Marie

If you are boondock capable, the best trick for the museum is to spend the night in the snowmobile parking lot that is just west of Paradise. Then head to the museum in the morning. I can't go there again, much of the displays are about the Fitzgerald and that still hurts.

When you get to the Soo, drop someone near the visitor center to look on the big board for expected passages. Plan your day around that, but they are typically a little wrong. But get to the upper level of the "peanut gallery" and watch them lift or flush at least one ship.

There are also three "museums" in town, The River of History is good, but it is closed on Sundays, the museum in the Valley Camp is as good as is seeing the rest of an old iron boat. The there is the Tower. If the ticket is not free, save your money. The trees have grown up since it was built and you can't actually see all that much.

If you like avant gard, there is Lakenenland. A freestyle sculpture park on M-28 between Marquette and Au Train. We haven't been there in years and it may have rusted away.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Romer1
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.cityofhoughton.com/rv-park/

Houghton City RV park, Houghton, MI
Merrill (KC9NPT)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
McLain State Park. You can watch the sunset over Lake Superior.

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Van Riper on the east side of Lake Michigamme off U.S. 41 between Marquette and L'Anse is nice campground. Another nice one is Muskallonge Lake north of Newberry. It sits on the north side of Muskallonge Lake and Lake Superior is a short walk across the road

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
Sampson is a nice park. In the immediate area are a plethora of Wineries, and distilleries. The former Seneca Army Depot has White Deer tours,The LDS church has the Peter Whitmore Farm in Waterloo if you are interested in the history. Geneva has become somewhat of a foody destination.
Taughannock Park is also a nice park although older and tighter than Sampson. Has the highest single drop falls East of the Rockies. Ithaca with Cornell is 8 miles South.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of choices.

There's a state park that is highly rated just over the bridge

Picture rocks
Taquamana falls
Procupine
Copper harbor

Take M26

Can take a boat over to Isle Royale

Go over to Mackinac Island

Mackinaw City just on the south side of the bridge

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
If you are camping near Lake Superior take an extra sweatshirt or two. The wind can be quite cool off of the lake.

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
Are you going to Michigan or New york?