cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Planning for a future trip through the Southwest

Dave-Sparky
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently doing our early planning for a trip next fall to see the balloon festival in Albuquerque NM. This is in early October and we also have a storytellers festival just south of Salt Lake to go to in late August, so we are looking at things to fill the month between these two "must have" events.

I do expect that we will fit in stops at Brice, Zion, and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. But there must be more things to see and do!

We would be looking at things that will not cost a lot or be very strenuous.

Dave
Dave and Colleen
Colleen's Beach House
1991 Dutchman TT 24FK
2007 Chev Avalanche AWD
26 REPLIES 26

tnsimmo
Explorer
Explorer
The Colorado Plateau lies between SLC and ABQ. Any NPS or state park on the plateau is worth a visit. You will see lots of red sandstone. There are canyons, dino digs and Anazazi Indian ruins to explore. August is hot so elevations around 4,000 feet are quite toasty while locations above 7,000 feet are more comfortable. Also August is in the summer rainy season with afternoon thunderstorms. Don't camp on low ground. Moab is a tourist destination for red rock and mountains. Hanksville is near the Capitol Reef (a favorite park of mine). US 89 through Utah and Arizona is a lovely route taking you near many parks. Page, AZ is a good base camp for exploring Lake Powell. Superb Anazazi ruins are near Cortez, CO and Farmington, NM. The San Juan Mountains of SW Colorado are high and rugged. There are excellent seam train trips through these mountains starting in Durango, CO and Chama, NM. While at the Balloon Fiesta visit some ABQ museums (National Atomic and Museum of Ballooning are good) and take the tram ride up to Sandia Crest. Visit Old Town Albuquerque built around a historic plaza. Nearby Santa Fe offers another historic plaza and a collection of museums worth a few days of your time. After the Balloon Fiesta head back to the Southern Rockies and watch the aspen forests turn golden yellow.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I always recommend the South Rim for first-time tourists. Then the North Rim for serene quietness. There are nice hikes, a mule ride if that's your thing, and if you have a 4x4, very nice drives.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
trailertraveler wrote:
Dave,
UT-261 (the Moki Dugway)
Attractions: Natural Bridges National Monument

...don't go near the Moki dugway in your RV...
Several of the scenic byways I mentioned are not RV friendly, but I have driven all of them in our crew cab pickup. The links and descriptions found in internet searches can help folks decide whether they are appropriate for an RV. There are a lot of great scenic byways and backways that are not particularly suited to RVs and some may even be posted prohibiting long, high or heavy vehicles.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
trailertraveler wrote:
Dave,
UT-261 (the Moki Dugway)
Attractions: Natural Bridges National Monument

don't go near the Moki dugway in your RV.
I found natural bridges to be sort of a disappointment, long drive hikes, etc. for much less than the arches.
bumpy

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Dave,

A month is not as long as you think. We have spent months over several years just exploring Utah. Here are some of the places we have visited and enjoyed.

Scenic Byways:
UT-12 Scenic Byway, Hells Backbone, Burr Trail, Fishlake Scenic Byway, Kane Creek Road, UT-261 (the Moki Dugway), Flaming Gorge Scenic Byway, Potash Lower Colorado Byway, and Upper Colorado River UT-128 Scenic Byway.

Attractions:

Goosenecks State Park, Hovenweep National Monument, Natural Bridges National Monument, Bluff Fort, South Fork of Mule Canyon and House on Fire, Cedar Breaks National Monument, Rainbow Bridge National Monument, Sago Canyon, Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park, Goblin Valley State Park, Escalante Petrified Forest State Park, Kodachrome Basin State Park, Calf Creek Falls, Anasazi State Park, Dead Horse Point State Park, The Valley of The Gods, Edge of the Cedars State Park, Dinosaur Museum, Utah Field House State Park, Dinosaur National Monument, Sago Canyon, Monument Valley, Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park, Needles District, Newspaper Rock, Capitol Reef National Park, Bryce Canyon National Park, and Zion National Park.

In New Mexico North of or near Albuquerque Santa Fe, Taos, Fort Union National Monument, Pecos National Historic Site, Bandelier National Monument, Pueblo Cultural Center, Petroglyph National Monument, Aztec Ruins National Monument, Tent Rocks National Monument, Acoma Sky City, Cumbres & Toltec Railroad, Salmon Ruins, Vietnam Veterans Memorial, Rio Grande River Gorge, , Turquoise Trail, Chaco Cultural Historical Park, and the Rio Grande el Norte National Monument are in my opinion worth a visit.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Lauren, that's exactly what I was thinking. You just have to plan around the crowds. We were at the south rim this June and never felt like we were crowded. Well, except for our first few moments at the visitors center mid day.

We hit the Kaibob Trail on the first shuttle bus, and felt like we had the whole canyon for just us!
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
You do at the South Rim the same as you do at Disneyland - go early (sunrise at the SR), leave midday, and go back later (sunset at the SR). Avoids most of the crowds.

To each their own - many of us love the beauty of the WHOLE Canyon and the beautiful sunrises and sunsets seen from so many spots along the Rim....many of which really don't have crowds even in midday.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Dave-Sparky
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions, we will check them out!

As to the discussion about the North vs South rim of the canyon

I was first there with my family when I was about 12 and tented on both rims and loved it all. even went o a mule ride down into the canyon.

Went back with my kids about 20 years ago and we loved the north rim, but the south was so touristy that after watching busloads of swarming tourists my 17 year old sons comment was "it's as bad as Disneyland, but without the rides!"

So I have no plans to ever go back to the South rim.

Dave
Dave and Colleen
Colleen's Beach House
1991 Dutchman TT 24FK
2007 Chev Avalanche AWD

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Remember, he has plenty of time to see both. That way he gets the best of both worlds. -- and gets to Albuquerque on time.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
we took our toad to the North rim, brought our jammies and toothbrush along and put our names on the list for a room in case of cancellations. we got a room and spent the night.
bumpy

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
Lauren wrote:
Don't get me wrong, the N Rim is nice - rustic and all that. And isolated. And fewer crowds due to far fewer facilities.

But you only see about 10% of the Canyon and you miss the majesty of the whole place - particularly at sunrise and sunset.

And you take pictures right into the sun.

Which is why I always recommend the S Rim - particularly for first time and maybe only a one time visit.

We have been to the N Rim to check it out but have been to the S Rim many times.

X2
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Don't get me wrong, the N Rim is nice - rustic and all that. And isolated. And fewer crowds due to far fewer facilities.

But you only see about 10% of the Canyon and you miss the majesty of the whole place - particularly at sunrise and sunset.

And you take pictures right into the sun.

Which is why I always recommend the S Rim - particularly for first time and maybe only a one time visit.

We have been to the N Rim to check it out but have been to the S Rim many times.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Two great Utah State Parks we enjoyed and would return to are Goblin Valley State Park and Dead Horse Point State Park.

The GC North Rim has a great old-time NPS feel to it. Don't miss the classic lodge on Bright Angel Point to sit on the sun porch and soak up the view. We had dinner there - the dining room also has views. Near the lodge, there's an easy half-mile paved trail (Bright Angel Point Trail) worth doing. Some great scenic driving, too - Point Imperial, Casa Encantada, Roosevelt Point, and Cape Royal (Angels Window - rock with a view opening - near there.)

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I left Wupatki off, because it didn't do much for us. But you guys are right...you can't be that close and not swing by.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!