cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Petoskey RV Resort, or Yogi Bear South Haven? Michigan

jabres
Explorer II
Explorer II
Finally have it narrowed down between two campgrounds. Any opinions on which place we would enjoy more? Trip would be end of July, and would be two families, and 5 total kids. Oldest being 6, and youngest being newborn.
Yogi Bear South Haven would be 3 hours less of a drive.. But Petoskey seems like a nice place. Yogi seems to have more for children to do... Its a toss up! Petoskey is actually tad bit cheaper also!
Anyone been to either place? Wasn't sure if Petoskey is much of a tourist area, and young children friendly?
Thanks in advance!!!
15 REPLIES 15

bgradert
Explorer
Explorer
We camped at Holland SP, Sleeping Bear Dunes (Platte River) and Petoskey SP last summer. Petoskey was my least favourite as the campsites are packed in like sardines and the beach adjacent to campground is rock, not sand. There are some beautiful little towns you must see; Charlevoix and Harbor Springs.

Platte River was wonderful and Sleeping Bear Dunes was neat to see. Definitely do the dune climb! Great experience!
2015 F150 EcoBoost
2015 Jayco 28DSBH
Mooresville, Indiana

jabres
Explorer II
Explorer II
thanks Jim! I will check it out!

jim_isham
Explorer
Explorer
And if you should visit the Curious Kids Museum as mentioned by another poster, the kids will enjoy the Whirlpool Compass Fountain, especially if it's a real hot day. And nearby is the Silver Beach Carousel.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/whirlpool-compass-fountain-st-joseph

https://www.yelp.com/biz/curious-kids-museum-saint-joseph-2

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g42673-d2049745-Reviews-Silver_Beach_Carousel-Saint_Joseph_Berrien_County_Michigan.html

Sorry about not being to properly post links.
Michigan's Sunset Coast

jabres
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all the advice! Seems like South Haven Yogi Bear will be there better option for us traveling with 5 total kids!
I appreciate all the help!

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
hornet28 wrote:
The Gilmore Museum isn't in Battle Creek it's at Hickory Corners closer to Plainwell

and rereading the OP, probably not something young kids would like.
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are going to be anywhere near Petoskey see if the Petoskey High School Steel Drum Band is performing during your stay. An amazing musical treat.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

ericosmith
Explorer
Explorer
As I recall, the only beach in Petoskey is the State Park. I'm not sure how far that is from the campground you're looking at. South Haven has two City beaches as well as the State Park. The City beaches are pretty much a straight shot about 6 miles down the road from the campground.

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
The Gilmore Museum isn't in Battle Creek it's at Hickory Corners closer to Plainwell

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I have made a point at going to (South Haven) Van Buren State Park twice now. We went after camping at the Indy 500.

It's right on the lake and has a nice sandy beach. Just a gorgeous place. It's a scenic drive to Saugatuck. Both towns offer boat tours, shopping and beaches. Just a lovely area. Pretty neat little bar & grill, The Curve. Also Gilmore car museum in Battle Creek.

One of my favorite places to camp.
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Muskegon also has the LST with Normandy Invasion history and now this year a River Patrol Boat of the Vietnam era

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Petoskey has the beaches also and the access to Lake Michigan for day trips. For the state park it is different. I had a 34' trailer and had a hard time in most of the sites. Would not take my motorhome there as we would not get into most sites.

Yogi will have more for the kids. You could go to Muskegon and tour the submarine also.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

jabres
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ericosmith- Any beaches in Petoskey? Thanks for the info, its appreciated!

ericosmith
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure either city has a lot for younger kids but I think in your place I'd go for South Haven. They have a maritime museum which offers rides on an sailing schooner and a nice beach on Lake Michigan. Not too far south there is a Children's Museum in St. Joe which might work, at least for the older kids. To me, South Haven is more laid back small town and Petoskey more upscale and larger.

jabres
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lar's- Thanks for the advice! Anything in particular as a "must see" in south haven for the kids? Or Holland? Staying in Holland isn't an option, we needed a cabin and campsite next to each other, and could only find this in two listen campgrounds