cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Overnight in Alabama

bgradert
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for a place to stay overnight anywhere from Cullman to Birmingham in Alabama. We will be heading south from Indianapolis to Florida so a location close to I-65 would be most beneficial. Thanks!!
2015 F150 EcoBoost
2015 Jayco 28DSBH
Mooresville, Indiana
26 REPLIES 26

bgradert
Explorer
Explorer
mjmaddox wrote:
Check out Yellowhammer RV I65 south exit 208 in Clanton. Located 1/2 way between Bham and Montgomery. Literally next to the interstate for easy on/easy off. Loves truck stop for fuel and restaurants there as well. Very safe area. Highly recommend for an overnight stop. It is a dealership also, so if service or supplies are needed there are people on site to help..I'm not affiliated with this business but I live in the area. Can't go wrong stopping here.

Thank you very much! I like to shut it down after 500 miles so this is a great option!
2015 F150 EcoBoost
2015 Jayco 28DSBH
Mooresville, Indiana

bgradert
Explorer
Explorer
mikestock wrote:
bgradert wrote:
Excellent feedback. Thank you. We have narrowed it down to Oak Mountain and the Bass Pro parking lot!

You'll find that Bass Pro Shop is a good distance off your route. Besides that, I-20 is undergoing major construction east of I-65 and you don't want any part of that.

If I may suggest that the Walmart on US-31 in Pelham does allow overnight parking. This is only about 5 minutes off I-65. Take exit 247 and you jump over to US-31 and turn left for less than a mile on your left. Next morning go another block south on 31 and a left on AL-119 takes you back to I-65 at exit 246.

If you buy diesel fuel the Murphy's at this Walmart is usually the best price around. Never mind. I didn't notice EcoBoost.

I believe the Bass Pro that I would stop at is in Prattville.
2015 F150 EcoBoost
2015 Jayco 28DSBH
Mooresville, Indiana

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
mjmaddox wrote:
Check out Yellowhammer RV I65 south exit 208 in Clanton. Located 1/2 way between Bham and Montgomery. Literally next to the interstate for easy on/easy off. Loves truck stop for fuel and restaurants there as well. Very safe area. Highly recommend for an overnight stop. It is a dealership also, so if service or supplies are needed there are people on site to help..I'm not affiliated with this business but I live in the area. Can't go wrong stopping here.

I would second this as a top choice, if you are looking for easy in and out and you won't be jumping directly into rush hour traffic the next morning..

mjmaddox
Explorer
Explorer

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
bgradert wrote:
Excellent feedback. Thank you. We have narrowed it down to Oak Mountain and the Bass Pro parking lot!

You'll find that Bass Pro Shop is a good distance off your route. Besides that, I-20 is undergoing major construction east of I-65 and you don't want any part of that.

If I may suggest that the Walmart on US-31 in Pelham does allow overnight parking. This is only about 5 minutes off I-65. Take exit 247 and you jump over to US-31 and turn left for less than a mile on your left. Next morning go another block south on 31 and a left on AL-119 takes you back to I-65 at exit 246.

If you buy diesel fuel the Murphy's at this Walmart is usually the best price around. Never mind. I didn't notice EcoBoost.

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
bgradert wrote:
2naEagle wrote:
What part of Florida are you going? Are you driving all the way to Birmingham in one day? Birmingham South is a very easy off and on for just a over night.

We are travelling from Indianapolis to Grayton Beach SP for Spring Break in late March.

Usually go to Topsail when down there love that area. Going to Salt Spring this year in late March.

If you decide to stay more than a overnight around Birmingham look at Tannehill State Park it is a old civil war iron foundry. It's has a good campground and is a good place to spend a day or two.

Have a great time.
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

bgradert
Explorer
Explorer
mikestock wrote:
bgradert wrote:
Oak Mountain is 40.00 for one night. Hoover is 50.00 per night.

Oak Mountain has some good spots and some not so good. The time of year may determine what kind of spot you get. Hoover Park, although just a parking lot has full hookups, great security, and is convenient to lots of shopping and dining, if that interests you.

If you select Oak Mountain you should ask about the equestrian RV parking area. It is right by the main entrance and saves the 6 mile drive to and from the regular campground. It has full hookups and may be just the ticket for overnight. May be worth checking it out before going to the big campground. Used to be a little cheaper too.

2015 F150 EcoBoost
2015 Jayco 28DSBH
Mooresville, Indiana

bgradert
Explorer
Explorer
2naEagle wrote:
What part of Florida are you going? Are you driving all the way to Birmingham in one day? Birmingham South is a very easy off and on for just a over night.

We are travelling from Indianapolis to Grayton Beach SP for Spring Break in late March.
2015 F150 EcoBoost
2015 Jayco 28DSBH
Mooresville, Indiana

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
bgradert wrote:

Oak Mountain has some good spots and some not so good. The time of year may determine what kind of spot you get. Hoover Park, although just a parking lot has full hookups, great security, and is convenient to lots of shopping and dining, if that interests you.

If you select Oak Mountain you should ask about the equestrian RV parking area. It is right by the main entrance and saves the 6 mile drive to and from the regular campground. It has full hookups and may be just the ticket for overnight. May be worth checking it out before going to the big campground. Used to be a little cheaper too.

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

bgradert
Explorer
Explorer
2015 F150 EcoBoost
2015 Jayco 28DSBH
Mooresville, Indiana

bgradert
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent feedback! Thank you. I like the idea of the free parking at Bass Pro however I doubt I would get a good nights sleep. Seems like there are lots of options that I did not know about!
2015 F150 EcoBoost
2015 Jayco 28DSBH
Mooresville, Indiana

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.bhamsouthrvpark.com/

https://hoovermetcomplex.com/explore/rv-park-parking-lots/

https://www.allstays.com/Campgrounds-details/11078.htm

Google map of Hoover RV park at the stadium

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:
Oak Mountain State Park, is a couple of miles off of I-65 just south of Bham in Pelham Al.

Also the Hoover Met Stadium has also has campsites, and is a couple of miles off I-65. It's basically hookups in the stadium parking lot, but there is lots of dining and shopping in the area if you don't want to cook.

The entrance to Oak Mtn. State Park is truly only a couple of miles off i-65 but it is 6 miles of slow driving to the CG.

Hoover City park is just a parking lot but has great security and full HU. This also puts you south of Birmingham so you will avoid most of the morning rush.

Cullman CG is ok but, again, that leaves you traveling through Birmingham during the morning rush, unless it's a weekend day. Maybe the better choice for the return trip.