cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Mexico Campgrounds

gwalter
Explorer III
Explorer III
We are headed south for 2 weeks to Texas and looking to spend a few days in the Roswell and Carlsbad areas. Looking for suggestions on good campgrounds in the area. Thanks in advance.
2010 Ram 3500 Laramie
2021 Bighorn 3120 RK
B & W Companion Hitch
Air Bags

11 REPLIES 11

gwalter
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for all the recommendations. Brantley Lake looks like it will be our first stop.
2010 Ram 3500 Laramie
2021 Bighorn 3120 RK
B & W Companion Hitch
Air Bags

LewBob
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Brantley Lake State Park for Carlsbad or even Guadaloupe Nat'l Park (dry camping). We've stayed at both with our 40' MH.

x2 for both. We just passed through the area and spent a night in each of those.

Lew

2015 Casita Freedom Deluxe
2012 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 EcoBoost
"Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." --Bob Seger (Against the Wind)

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Brantley Lake State Park for Carlsbad or even Guadaloupe Nat'l Park (dry camping). We've stayed at both with our 40' MH.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

More_To_See
Explorer
Explorer
If you are just looking for a place to park in Roswell you might check out Trailer Village RV Park right in town. It's on route 380 just about a mile east of the main intersection in town. We pass through there almost every year and use it as an overnight stop. Bottomless Lake is ok, too, and perhaps better if you are going to be in that area for several days. But for an overnight place, Trailer Village is perfectly adequate.
95 Winnebago Vectra 34 (P30/454)

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Bottomless Lakes State Park for Roswell. Brantley Lake State Park for Carlsbad. Don't miss the Living Desert Zoo near Carlsbad.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
We have never camped near Carlsbad but we also enjoyed Bottomless Lakes State Park near Roswell. They don't have flies there, just very small alien spacecraft that look like flies. If you like to go out for dinner, there is a really good steakhouse in Roswell (can't remember the name of it) that the locals can refer you to. Probably the best salad bar I have ever seen and the steaks were great.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
rr2254545 wrote:
Only one decent campground in Carlsbad - the KOA - but even it is a long way from the caverns. We stayed there 2/15/13

So true. We went to the caverns last summer. The only decent RV park close was the KOA, about 15 miles north of the town of Carlsbad and another 15 or so to the caverns south of the town. There is a small RV park right at the turnoff to the caverns, but from the road did not look like a place I would want to stay, and rvparkreviews.com seems to confirm that.

wxtoad
Explorer
Explorer
filthy beast wrote:
We like Bottomless Lake State Park outside of Roswell. They just installed free wifi. The last time there in the middle of the summer the flies were pretty bad though.

Amen on both counts. We spent a few days there back in October and the flies were still miserable. They didn't bother us that much when outside, but they swarmed around the RV and managed to find their way inside. DW became quite proficient with the fly-swatter.

Very nice park, and the wi-fi worked quite well. Here is our review with pictures.

There are a lot of other great parks in New Mexico. You can find our reviews of many of them on our website.

Have a great trip!
Ted H.
2005 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath
NE13

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
ARe you sure those were flies? might have been something else flying around your head spying on you... hehe

Roy ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

filthy_beast
Explorer
Explorer
We like Bottomless Lake State Park outside of Roswell. They just installed free wifi. The last time there in the middle of the summer the flies were pretty bad though.
Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast
2008 Silverado 2500HD
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You cannot make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Only one decent campground in Carlsbad - the KOA - but even it is a long way from the caverns. We stayed there 2/15/13
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks