cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need a campground in Houston, TX...

resmas
Explorer
Explorer
I will preface this with YES I HAVE looked at RV Park Reviews already. However, I know ZERO about Houston, and would like the opinion of someone local or who has been there...

We are needing a SAFE full-hookup CG fairly close to the Texas Medical Center complex (i.e. close to Rice University/Baylor University, I guess???). We have a family member that will likely be having serious surgery there very soon. The entire family + dogs will be going (2 adults, 3 kids, 2 dogs), so I am looking for something that is safe for the kids. I'm seeing lots of poor reviews due to nasty long-term or permanent residents.... Without knowing the area, I don't know what is best...

Thanks for any help you can provide.
2012 Dutchmen Voltage Epic 3795
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC
2012 Smart-for-two (sometimes hitches a ride in the Voltage!)
2005 Sundowner Sunlite 777
7 REPLIES 7

resmas
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately, there is a dog show in town at the same time we would be arriving, and most every place we have checked has been booked up. We've widened our search and think we've found another place a bit further out. No hospital shuttle, though...
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC

rescue7
Explorer
Explorer
At Lakeview there is a kids play area, two dog runs, you can walk the dog anywhere in the park except around the lake, there is a county restriction against that. Very safe at night. Its more in a industrial area. There are some family's living there full time due to the good job market in oil, probably 50/50 hospital patients and workers. We made many friends there. Talk to Chris or Jim they will take care of you. They also have a super nice high tech dog wash, pool, hot tub, general meeting room. If anyone causes trouble Jim will evict them ASAP.

Don
Don & Lori
2014 Montana 3725
2015 Ram 3500

chester490
Explorer
Explorer
I felt very safe when we stayed there. It is gated and a lot of people stay there for extended times. A lot of nights I was there alone with my 2 dogs. I was never nervous when I had to walk them.

resmas
Explorer
Explorer
I'm hearing a lot of good things about Lakeview. I spoke to the manager at one of their sister resorts - they seemed very nice and confident of the safety. I wish their website weren't so generic and provided better info and pictures. I like the option of the shuttle, though we will have the Smart car with us to commute if needed - better than the dually.

My main concern is safety for me and the kids, as we will likely be spending most of our time at the camper vs. at the hospital. (Three kids at a hospital all day - NOT fun - we've done it before...). I also want to know I can walk the dogs safely after dark.
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC

rescue7
Explorer
Explorer
Stay at Lakeview for medical every year 2 weeks, and spent almost a year there in 2010. Excellent location, 5 mile to med center. excellent staff that can accommodate last minute changes.
Don & Lori
2014 Montana 3725
2015 Ram 3500

mrlightrail
Explorer
Explorer
Might check with the Medical Center. A lot of them have full hookup spots for families of patients.

chester490
Explorer
Explorer
When my mom was at MD Anderson, we stayed at the Lakeview RV Resort. It is on South Main. Very convenient to the medical center. They had a shuttle that would transport you back and forth at that time. I do not know if that is still an option. Also, if you were there for a medical reason, they would offer a discount. It is a very nice park. Safe with gates. A nice swimming pool and exercise area. There is a small pond in the center. I think you would be very comfortable there and the kids would enjoy it. I hope your family member does well.