cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Monument Valley

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
We're just about ready to go, one more question and that's about Monument Valley. We already plan to go to Canyon de Chelley and Navajo National Monument on our way to Valley of the Gods, but I'm reading that Monument has become a pretty big tourist trap. We are not cheap but frugal. So those who have been there, Yea or Nay. Would you go back? Is it worth the $20 bucks to get in and the $35 to camp?
Thanks in advance
17 REPLIES 17

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
One day in Monument Valley and youโ€™re seen it all?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
There is a new KOA in Monument Valley that no one mentioned. It is about 1.5 miles north of the intersection. I stayed there last year, nothing special but good views and very usable.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
We spent a night at Gouldings too but you've got Gooseneck, Valley of the Gods, and Sand Island just down the road. Not a bad idea to park at Gooseneck and do a drive thru of Valley of the gods to see if you want to bring your camper in there.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take the guided tour there. They take you to areas that you canโ€™t see on the self-guided tour. Look up โ€œEye of the Sunโ€ and โ€œEar of the Windโ€.
2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
it's been years since I was at the monument but I thought that one could see it for free but a tour down thru it cost?
bumpy

Its 20 dollars to get in per day and $45 a night for full service. Not sure how much the dry campground is at Mittens.

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
yes I agree, definitely worth the trip. We stayed at Gouldings, very nice campground. We just arrived early morning and did a whole day and 1 night and left the next morning, and that was plenty of time for us. It is so peaceful and calming out there! Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
definitely worth the trip. if you have high clearance vehicle (don't need 4x4) take the drive, definitely worth the money, did not know they had guided tours but they're not necessary. We stayed in the RV park up on the hill above town, don't recall the name but it was pretty good, great views.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on taking the tour and stay at Gouldings. Hope there are a few clouds around to make your photos really look nice--we enjoyed that on our 2nd visit.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Dry camping in front of Monument Valley's famous 'Mittens' formations used to be free. I'm sure there's a hefty charge now because they made it into a campground but still no utilities, I don't believe. We drove our Jeep for touring ourselves.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
huachuca wrote:
Monument Valley is well worth the cost. I'd boondock in Valley of the Gods unless its rained recently or its predicted to do so.

And pay for the guided tour. It is a once in a lifetime event. The guides do not tell you much, but the roads are in bad shape.

Dry camp at either Goosenecks SP ($5.00 ?) or free at VOG or drive up the Dugway and camp at Muley point.Free camping UT The road from the top of Dugway to Muley Point is bad washboard. The web page saids a maximum length of 15 feet but it is unlimited. I think the 15 feet applies to the Dugway.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Donโ€™t miss it. Tell John Ford hi from me if heโ€™s shooting something.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stayed at Gouldings lodge and camp ground and loved it. Monument Valley is just across the road. Yes you can SEE it from the road, but take the tour with a guide.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
it's been years since I was at the monument but I thought that one could see it for free but a tour down thru it cost?
bumpy

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Take the guided tour. Well worth it.
Stay at the local RV park.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad