cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lamoille Canyon Nevada

UtahBluegrass
Explorer
Explorer
We've camped at Thomas Campground in Lamoille Canyon several times in the past and love the place. Anyone who thinks Nevada is just a big desert needs to stop by this glacier formed canyon in the Ruby Mountains. Spectacular is an understatement.

We'd like to go again this summer but I heard there was a fire in the canyon and wondered what it did to the camping there, particularly in the Thomas area. Anyone know what it's like now?
2013 Evergreen Everlite 29RLW
2013 Ram Laramie diesel 4x4
Parties 10, Feeds 4, Sleeps 2
7 REPLIES 7

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
I've been to Lamoille Canyon twice in the last several years and stayed in Thomas Canyon campground both times. Wow, what a spectacular area! Drove to the end of the canyon road and thought I was in the Eastern Sierra in CA! ๐Ÿ™‚ A highly recommended place. In fact, I'm thinking about putting it on my route to/from MT this year.
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
The wildflowers should be going crazy in late June -- be sure to post some photos when you get back!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

UtahBluegrass
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses. Apparently the campground is fine and as ppine noted, the rains should green things up on the surrounding mountains that did burn. We'll be up there at the end of June.

mtdew999
Explorer
Explorer
The canyon is beautiful but if you haven't visited/camped at Angel Lake, you're missing the best part of the area.

UtahBluegrass
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Lamoille is on our list of places we gotta go to someday -- so that is how I know that there is (or was??) a closure due to fire:

Closure??

I am not sure if that is still in effect -- best bet is call the ranger, I guess.

If that area is not available, have you been to Great Basin Natl Park??

They are taking reservations, so I assume it is open. I just don't know what shape the campground is in.

We've been to Lehman Cave in Great Basin and enjoyed it a lot.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lamoille is on our list of places we gotta go to someday -- so that is how I know that there is (or was??) a closure due to fire:

Closure??

I am not sure if that is still in effect -- best bet is call the ranger, I guess.

If that area is not available, have you been to Great Basin Natl Park??
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not too loud. Everyone knows Nevada is nothing but cactus and rocks.
The fires have affected the scenery to some extent. After the wet winter it will green up pretty fast at that elevation.