cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

And off we go

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Today we leave for a 17 day trip. Tonopah Nevada is our first stop (boondocking). Then we head towards the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Somewhere along the route we will visit Arches, Canyonland, Bryce and Zion, each for a couple of days. We then head towards Phoenix to visit a daughter and our grand children (how fast the grow up). From there it's off to Vegas then Kingman Arizona to see the other daughters and grand children. On the way home, we'll drive through Death Valley, and boondock for a day. There are couple more of days of boondocking squeezed in there....I just can't remember when or where. We decided to do this trip again, just to refresh our memories. It's been 20+ years since we've been to these fabulous parks.
6 REPLIES 6

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tomorrow is the end of out 17 gay trip. We added a night in Lee Vining California. We had a tire separate in Kanab Utah. Luckily one of the teo tire shops within 100 miles had a D rated tire we installed a s a spare. I have over 17,000 miles on these tires this year. The next day the shower pan cracked. Luckily I had some Eternabond tape on board to patch it until I order and install a new one. It's held up good for almost two weeks. Then the third problem....the upper radiator hose on my 2000 F350 was sliced by my serpentine belt. Someone had installed the wrong hose. I never noticed just how close that hose was to that belt. That happened in Page Arizona....no man's land. Again, luck struck. An Autozone had ONE hose left. $38 later, we were off again.

My wife and the two 15# mutts are pretty anxious about tomorrow. King size bed vs this short queen. 3,000 sqft house vs a 27' 5th wheel. And, best of all for my wife.... a real shower to wash her hair. Me? I could go either way.

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
the north rim closes the 15th so get there soon as much to see and do

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoy the trip!

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I've read that Zion and Moab are more crowded than usual for this time of year. I hope you have your reservations made.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you boondocking on the North Rim? There are some spectacular spots out on the Rainbow Rim in the Kaibab National Forest. This blog post may be of interest:

Zion and Rainbow Rim

Good luck, and stay safe!!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoy your trip. :C