cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kentucky Horse Park CG

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I are planning a trip to Ky. and the KHP looked like a good spot for a 4-nights stay midweek in early October.
Any yeas or nays?

Teach
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."
9 REPLIES 9

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
Parrothead Mike wrote:
...Check the horse park's listing of events when planning to camp at the campground.

Will do, thanks for the insider tips, fellas.

Teach
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
I made a reservation at the Horse Park campground about 2 weeks ago for a long weekend in mid-April. April is also one of the two months that they race at Keeneland. The other is October. I had no problem selecting a site. I've camped there during other times when racing is taking place at Keeneland.

Racing at Keeneland isn't as big a problem for making a reservation at the campground as compared to large horse events at the Kentucky Horse Park itself. In the back of the campground is a gate that goes directly into the horse park and horse owners often use the campground when participating at the horse park. Check the horse park's listing of events when planning to camp at the campground.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

jensenst
Explorer
Explorer
Horse park is great. You need to make reservations now for the first week of October.Fall Stars weekend at Keeneland.If you like horse racing this is probably one of the best racing weekends.

machunt
Explorer
Explorer
Watch for golf carts, drivers are crazy. some sites have a big dip in the opening

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
One of my favorite areas to visit. Take a drive out to see the horse ranches. Tour some distilleries, Visit Churchill Downs, Visit the Capitol in Frankfort. Thereโ€™s just a lot to do around there.
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic

The_Kroc
Explorer
Explorer
you should be aware that they will be booked solid all month because of all the temp workers that follow the horse racing circuit. Keeneland runs races all month long in Oct. They bring in over a thousand people and many of them stay at KY Horse Park. In November, they travel down the road to Churchill Downs in Louisville

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We also haven't been in a few years, but we always enjoyed it. Just a reminder that it only has W&E. It was strategically placed for visits with friends and family and it was never completely full, so a great place.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

PamfromVA
Explorer
Explorer
If you prefer quiet and less traffic, get a site on the outside loop. Inside loops have alot of traffic back and forth to the playground and camp store.
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2017 Dodge Ram 3500
One DH
two very spoiled camping dogs

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't been there in several years, but it was a great place to stay, clean and quiet. Be sure ant tour the museum and grounds.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.