cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Info about Chaco Canyon and other sites in NM

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Buried in snow and cold in NH - so starting to plan for spring trip to NM and CO. This time would like to visit Chaco Canyon and surrounding sites. Looking for suggestions regarding places to see/visit/avoid in the general area. Last time was 2002 - went to Arches/Moab/Mesa Verde. Want to see/explore more! Any input appreciated! Thanks! ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's
12 REPLIES 12

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for info so far! DW already reading "House of Rain". What is the actual route into Chaco Canyon? From the map it looks like 550 to 7900 to 7950? Also, plan to meet up with DD and SIL - good place to leave a vehicle so don't need to take camper, toad, and their vehicle into Chaco? Thanks! ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
Many of the Ancestral Puebloan ruins are indeed on current-day Navajo lands. But that's not to say that they are in any way Navajo.

You see, the Navajo (and Apache) are Athabaskans who arrived in the Southwest from the Northwest areas in the late 1300s, maybe early 1400s. That was after Chaco, Mesa Verde and others were abandoned no later than around 1300.

Where the Ancestral Puebloans went is a tough guess. Simplifying, though, it's widely thought that the modern day Hopis, the Zunis as well as the several pueblo communities along the broad upper Rio Grande are desended from the Ancestral Pueblans. Other groups may have made it as far as northern areas of what is now Mexico.

FYI, it was fashionable for some time to refer to the Ancestral Pueblans as the Anasazi. Not super politically correct. Anasazi is a Navajo term that means either "ancient ones" or "ancient enemies." Good way to ruffle some non-Navajo feathers, eh?

For some interesting reading, try Craig Childs: House of Rain.

๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
While we haven't gotten there, we have see a lot of the Southwest and here are two you should really go see, Canyon de Chelly and the Hubbell Traiding Post. Both of these are, however, in Arizona. Hubbell is near Ganado, AZ and de Chelly is approximately the same Latitude as Chaco Canyon and just above Ganado.

Much of this area of New Mexico and Arizona is Navajoland and exploring is by permission and with guides from the Navajo Nation. Chaco Canyon is a National Historic Park and on our bucket list.

At Hubbell TP, I met a Navajo Silversmith and Elder, he is extremely well educated and knowledgeable about all things Navajo. He is also a talker and it may be very hard to engage him is a conversation about things of pertinence to the Navajo and other First Nations People but if you are sincere in you questions, he will "talk story"(my Hawaiian life coming out) about his people's history both before the settlers and after they came. It was a wonderful afternoon I spent with him.

The ladies at the visitors center are not fluff, they too know a lot but are usually reserved in what they will tell you. My wife spent her time with them while Dennis gave me a oral tour their lives and heritage.

Canyon de Chelly is amazing and you can contact the Navajo and ask for a guide to take you into the Canyon. You can use your vehicle(cheapest) or theirs(more expensive).

Tucumcari is another great place to visit, if just for the Dinosaur Museum and Natural Science Laboratory.

The history of the Puebloan Peoples is etched in this land and is a true treasure if you can find someone to teach you about it.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
I would consider staying at least one night in Chaco Canyon. When the sun goes out and you are in the canyon very close to the ancient ruins it is really an amazing experience. The roads in can be a challenge either direction and are not well maintained but if you go slow it can be done and well worth the effort. Unless things have changed there were no services not even water except for drinking.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed in Bloomfield and drove down to Chaco. The entrance road is terrible, but the structures are impressive. It is an amazing experience.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
As a traveler who goes to the Southwest almost annually, I have enjoyed many Anasazi sites in the 4 corners area. I suggest some reading about the Anasazi to get a little background on the sites. I am reading House of Rain by Craig Childs now and have found it very interesting and informative. I agree a central location is good way to see the ruins or maybe moving once to get closer to some locations in Utah. Have a great trip.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
canyon dechelly is worth a look.
bumpy

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't go down that road to Chaco if it is wet/rainy.
bumpy

Robbies_grandpa
Explorer
Explorer
Chaco is remote but worth it. We spent 2 days there and had a great time. It is dry camping so be sure to fill with water. Great sites to see. Ranger program is on astronomy. When we visited, the rangers said only 60,000 people per year visit.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd suggest doing what we did, set up a base in Cortez CO. And from there you are right in the middle of a lot of parks. Hovenweep, Canyon of the Ancients, Monument Valley, Valley of the Gods and any number of other parks. Mesa Verde is right behind Cortez. Canyonlands is just North. Natural Bridges and Goosenecks just to the west. And a lot of cliff dwellings all around.

Cortez has a couple of good campgrounds, a Walmart and a number of eateries along with a good selection of other stores. WE spent a week there and then moved to the next town north for another week.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
Chaco is an amazing place, but it is remote, as Agesilaus points out.

But there are plenty of Ancestral Pueblan sites in the region that are more accessible. Just a few:

-Navajo National Monument, AZ
-Mesa Verde, CO
-Aztec National Monument, NM
-Bandelier National Monument, NM

๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chaco is down dirt road, not sure how long; 10 or 15 miles anyway. The road condition varies from sandy but generally OK, when it's just been graded. To very rough and rutted. Not sure I'd want to take a big Class A down it.

Parks have personalities, or rather the park rangers do. I suspect this is a reflection of the guy in charge at the park. But when we were there the place was being run by a very unpleasant bunch of rangers, that was several years ago and the staff could have completely changed by now. IT soured my opinion of the park anyway.

And we have been to many ancient indian ruin parks and frankly they all look alike after the 8th or 10th version. I know I'm going the hear it about this comment.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper