cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I-95 rest area parking for RV

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip to Key West. Was thinking about just pulling in a rest area on I-95 to grab 6-7 hours sleep on the way. I just read on the state website where parking in rest areas is limited to 3 hours. I am sure some of those over the road truckers stay there more than 3 hours. Has anyone had any issues catching a nap at rest areas in Florida?
Thanks!
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart
15 REPLIES 15

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Being a retired LEO, the Deputy that stopped at the camper to ask questions is within his right to do so. I'm not certain if he/she had PC or was trying to fill his contact log. I do have personal feelings about asking about firearms being kept in a person's place of residence while on the road, but that's another topic.
In all the years we've traveled, no one every enforced any "rules" in rest stops. I do believe folks should be more attentive in dumping their trash and stop peeing in rest stop parking lots.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
We were Florida residents for 70 years. Iโ€™ve spent the night along I-10, I-75, and I-95 many tines without any problems. Wed pull in, make a bathroom run and hit the sack till daylight., never a problem. Weโ€™ve even joined the truckers overflow on the entrance ramps back onto the interstate.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Best to check each state for their take on this scenario, although I haven't gone that far myself. Just like Walmart or other retailers that allow overnighting at some locations, if I see others overnighting I assume it is allowed and just find an appropriate spot to put out slides.

It has been awhile since I planned to overnight at a rest stop, but circumstances last month lead to doing just that at the last minute. Simply pulled in where the big rig trucks were parked, popped on the genny and ran both AC units, heard zero noise from adjoining commercial trucks.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
QCMan wrote:
A nap is one thing but 6 to 7 hours is a whole different story. First, you will have big rigs pulling in and out on each side of you and that will limit how much sleep you get. If the limit is 3 hours, you might be able to squeeze 4 out of it but do realize that 95 is a heavily patrolled road by various entities. Why not just make it relaxing and overnight in one of the many campgrounds that line the route. Safer and way more civilized. The over the road guys do not stay long. If the wheels are not turning they are not making money.

The time limit is a tool to chase out the undesirables, in my many decades of spending around a dozen nights a year in rest areas Iโ€™ve not once been chased out, and in several instances actually been directed to a better spot in the rest area by LEOโ€™s or security.

As for not using a campground the OP is likely another person like me who out of respect for people actually camping wouldnโ€™t even think of rolling in at midnight or later and then rolling back out at zero-dark-thirty and disturbing a bunch of people.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Got a couple of real nice ones down towards West Palm. I have had those lot attendants find me a spot before and never once have been asked to move on. I go down every year between Christmas and new years. My mess is 72+ ft long. Someone mentioned the turnpike or I-75 don't know what they are thinking about. I-95 is right here.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
great deal more, none of which under our rights he had any right to ask, however under the circumstances we complied to diffuse the situation.

I have always worked on the principal of cooperating with the police if at all possible and most of the time you get good treatment in return. A warning instead of a ticket.
However if one went too far, asking to search the vehicle for example, then I would balk. Never got to that point so far, Yes Sir, No Sir turnith away police wrath.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Some LEOs get over zealous. May 1/ 21 we stopped to overnight at a very long wide historic marker turnout on Ne. 61 18 mi. s of Ogallala, Ne. No signage otherwise . At sundown a Ne. sherriff deputy knocked, told us no overnighting, go to the Lake McConaughey state park. Officer, we cant, we are double towing, must have a 70' pull thru, And weve had our wine and a nightcap, so no driving tonight. He then asked for ID, about firearms, ( none, but did show him our SD concealed carry permits) and a great deal more, none of which under our rights he had any right to ask, however under the circumstances we complied to diffuse the situation. He admitted he had no law to make us leave. When we pointed out the 3 garbage bage of trash we cleaned up there his whole attitude changed, he radioed to dispatch situation resolved.
Check the laws before you go.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depending on how you structure your driving time and want a break, Martin County is the last segment of I95 with a rest area.....that leaves 200 miles to Key West

You are wise to cut across from I95 to the Florida Turnpike. Yes it will cost you some money but it will run you right thru the Miami traffic and drop you of at its end a short distance from the highway down the Keys.
Superbumper

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
AikenRacer wrote:
Planning a trip to Key West. Was thinking about just pulling in a rest area on I-95 to grab 6-7 hours sleep on the way. I just read on the state website where parking in rest areas is limited to 3 hours. I am sure some of those over the road truckers stay there more than 3 hours. Has anyone had any issues catching a nap at rest areas in Florida?
Thanks!

Depending on how you structure your driving time and want a break, Martin County is the last segment of I95 with a rest area.....that leaves 200 miles to Key West

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
AikenRacer wrote:
Planning a trip to Key West. Was thinking about just pulling in a rest area on I-95 to grab 6-7 hours sleep on the way.

Do you mean I-75?

Here is a route: https://freecampsites.net/#!Lake+City,+Florida~Key+West,+Florida&query=routeSearch&routeDistance=25&...
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Been traveling this country for fifty years in our camper. Have only once been asked to leave a rest stop. One time, and have spent many, many nights or hours taking a nap. Always on the way somewhere, not camping. ONE night or a few hours.

DON'T CAMP ... just find a quiet spot and rest / nap. Then get on your way. Rest stops are for everyone, short term. Yes, Truckers need rest stops, but so do others. Truckers have truck stops too. Everyone needs a break, everyone gets a break. Don't abuse it ...
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
When someone thinks that rest stops are just for one segment of travelers there is a problem. The signs i see say cars here and trucks/trailers there. Everyone needs to rest and yes trucks have options as well.

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have a 42โ€™ diesel pusher with a pickup truck toad and you canโ€™t stay in a campground? The rest areas are needed by over the road truckers that have to, by law, pull off the road and take required breaks.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Florida usually has rest stop attendants, I have no idea if they enforce how long people stop for, tho. I doubt the FHP enforces those rules tho.
Superbumper