cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grand Teton, Gros Ventre RV Park: May 2018

calberry
Explorer
Explorer
We will be doing a 3 week road trip with our 5th wheel this April/May, and Grand Teton is our last main stop (May 8th-11th).

According to this LINK, the GV Campground opens on May 4, 2018.

Not having ever been there before, and knowing that they do not take reservations, my question is whether we should be able to get a camp site (hookups preferred, but dry is OK) that time of the year or whether we should make reservations at one of the other more expensive RV parks.

Thanks,

Steve
2010 F350 XLT 4X4 6.8L V10
2012 Rockwood 8265WS 5er

Go Bears!
14 REPLIES 14

calberry
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
Notice the date on the photos below

One of the best time of year to visit. There are no bad times. The elk (1,000s) should be moving to "high country" and there will be snow on the Tetons.

Click For Full-Size Image.

Great pics! Now I'm really psyched ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thanks for sharing.

I would have preferred to be going on this trip 2-3 weeks later, but my mother-in-law just turned 94 so we need to make sure we are back home for Mother's Day (it may be her last ๐Ÿ˜ž )

Steve
2012 Rockwood 8265WS 5er

Go Bears!

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
bukhrn wrote:
There are great neighbors throughout the park,

Looks like the same neighbor we had in the CG. We were able to get one of the 36 electric sites (out of the 400 total sites) the week before Labor Day even arriving after lunch. You will not have any problems in May...you will be lonely.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

calberry
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
One of the best time of year to visit. There are no bad times. The elk (1,000s) should be moving to "high country" and there will be snow on the Tetons.

Yay!
2012 Rockwood 8265WS 5er

Go Bears!

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Notice the date on the photos below

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

calberry
Explorer
Explorer
Two Hands wrote:
According to the national park website Colter Bay RV Park opens May 10. Great campground with full hookups and in the Park.

OK, I do see now that the RV park at CB opens on the 10th. I was looking at the campground opening date. Still, we arrive on the 8th and leave on the 11th, so that wouldn't do me much good for one night.

Steve
2012 Rockwood 8265WS 5er

Go Bears!

ohhell10339
Explorer
Explorer
That early in the season (and in general, prior to Memorial Day), you should have no problem. The weather may be a factor--if it's unseasonably warm/nice, the campgrounds are busy on weekends even in May. Which brings me to another observation--don't be surprised if you get rained on--or snowed on. It ain't summer yet up there, and barely spring, in May.

But you should definitely seize the opportunity to camp in Big Belly Campground in Big Tits National Park.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are great neighbors throughout the park,
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
In Gros Ventre, only D loop has elec. hookup, no water or sewer at site, but there is a potable water fill at the dump station.
We were there in July (2015), we got there about 9AM, had to wait till someone checked out about 11 am great site.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
According to the national park website Colter Bay RV Park opens May 10. Great campground with full hookups and in the Park.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

calberry
Explorer
Explorer
jalichty wrote:
You shouldn't have any problem getting a spot at Gros Ventre during that time of year. They do not have any full hook-ups, just some spaces with electricity. Your choice to spend the extra money for a more expensive site, but, if you don't mind dry camping, Gros Ventre would be good for you. I prefer Colter Bay, in the Park, as we fish when we camp there and Gros Ventre is quite a ways further from Jackson Lake than is Colter Bay, 45 minutes compared to 5. Colter Bay does have an RV park. Don't know when Colter Bay opens as we usually don't go up there until the end of May, early June. Make sure your batteries and propane are full as it will probably be a bit cool that time of year. We took our boat up there one time for Memorial Day and got six inches of snow on the boat on May 31. Whatever you do, have a great time and enjoy one of the prettiest spots in our country.

Thanks. Unfortunately Colter Bay does not open until May 24 (the day we check into Plumas-Eureka State Park in NorCal ๐Ÿ˜‰ ). It is reassuring though to feel comfortable that we should be able to get a site, and an electric one would be good just to save on propane.

Thx

Steve

Steve
2012 Rockwood 8265WS 5er

Go Bears!

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
You shouldn't have any problem getting a spot at Gros Ventre during that time of year. They do not have any full hook-ups, just some spaces with electricity. Your choice to spend the extra money for a more expensive site, but, if you don't mind dry camping, Gros Ventre would be good for you. I prefer Colter Bay, in the Park, as we fish when we camp there and Gros Ventre is quite a ways further from Jackson Lake than is Colter Bay, 45 minutes compared to 5. Colter Bay does have an RV park. Don't know when Colter Bay opens as we usually don't go up there until the end of May, early June. Make sure your batteries and propane are full as it will probably be a bit cool that time of year. We took our boat up there one time for Memorial Day and got six inches of snow on the boat on May 31. Whatever you do, have a great time and enjoy one of the prettiest spots in our country.
John A. Lichty

calberry
Explorer
Explorer
Wow guys, that was fast! Thanks for the replies. I will rest easier now ๐Ÿ˜‰

Steve
2012 Rockwood 8265WS 5er

Go Bears!

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
All I can say is this, during the month of August when I was looking for a site, the only place I found one was Gros Ventre and that was late morning we got into it. Have also got a site at Colter Bay (NP) in Sept, so in a word, I feel confident you'll get a site.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You'll get a site. We have in various months with our 40' motorhome.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel