Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General RV Park Question..

wiskeyVI
Explorer
Explorer
Good Day.
We've been out of RVing for about 5yrs now and are thinking about getting back into it to get out and spend some time with family in the OR and maybe down to the AZ desert.

My question is, do most Parks still have rules about not allowing rigs over 10yrs old to stay at their parks??

We are looking at some very nice older rigs,but if it's a pain to stay in many parks due to the rigs age, we may rethink this.

Thanks for any comments offered.
22 REPLIES 22

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve only ever run into it at private parks and usually in bigger cities. We had a 2003 so we were at the 15 year point before we sold it. Only time it happened to us, they took a look at the trailer (condition as mentioned above) and it was no issue.
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

wiskeyVI
Explorer
Explorer
"Cousin Eddie" is a perfect.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
The ten year rule usually gets invoked to prevent Cousin Eddie from setting up headquarters in a rusted out Class C with blue tarps on the roof and his entire extended family.

If you aren't Cousin Eddie, you won't have a problem.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Last September, the Youtube channel Long Long Honeymoon did a Video where they had been told their Airstream trailer was too old (over the phone), but they were flat told there were no exceptions. 8 minute video.

https://youtu.be/ZJMTv5vv6Ck

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
One time on this forum I made a post and referred to "Camping". A person replied and said "we dont camp, we RV". Wherever that person is is where these rules are 😉 Really only the "uppity" RV parks in certain locations like Florida Keys and such. Only time I have been somewhere that even came close to a rule like that was strictly for seasonal full time sites and it was a 15 year rule. Even then the owner told me they make exceptions all the time, its just to avoid someone letting an old camper rot into the ground.

Charles2222
Explorer
Explorer
WiskeyVI was industrial commercial pipe fitter.Worked where the money or job was depending on my bank account(you can tell by my spelling I was no school teacher)

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some parks do have "no old rigs" rules. Thank goodness, none of them yet have a rule that says "no dirty trailers" or "no trailers with weird funky looking modifications." When that happens, I will be in trouble. 😉
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

wiskeyVI
Explorer
Explorer
Chareles2222
That's what I was basically doing working for a Gov contractor at Military bases.

Charles2222
Explorer
Explorer
As a construction worker traveling alone I was ask this about the ten year rule more than once.As soon as they saw my rig I was welcomed.They saw me as maybe a rough neck until further checking and was going to use that rule to reject me.My rig was under ten years old and really well maintained.Usually after staying a period of time and work was on down the road and I was checking out they most always welcomed me back.I have seen many parks that needed the rule very badly.I wish I could tell you about some places I would move out of the first break in my work schedule.In about twenty years of be there miles from home at seven tomorrow AM.No one wants trash around them.Been stuck in some bad deals a time or two.Pull in at night,be on job at seven AM next day,then work ten to sixteen hours per day for a few months.Thats when you wished they had the ten year rule.(my rant)To use it to reject some junkers.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
wiskeyVI wrote:
Good Day.
We've been out of RVing for about 5yrs now and are thinking about getting back into it to get out and spend some time with family in the OR and maybe down to the AZ desert.

My question is, do most Parks still have rules about not allowing rigs over 10yrs old to stay at their parks??

I've personally never had this issue, so would take exception to the statement about "most Parks".

However, as you were in fact an RVer before and it sounds like this happened to you at most of the Parks that you wanted to stay at, I'd suggest it will probably be the same today for you at those same type of places.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Personally, in nearly 30 years of RVing I have never seen that rule anywhere. I'm sure it exists but I think it's rare and like MT said above, I suspect it has more to do with keeping junkers out.

wiskeyVI
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for the comments. It helps greatly.
I think back and I guess it was the Parks/"Resorts" I stayed at semi long term due to work projects, those were the ones who were picky.
I can see a park using them rules such as these to weed out some rigs not in good shape.
We typically enjoyed the small parks along the way between projects the most. Some with nothing, were often the most peaceful.

Guess I can tell DW she can check out the old AVION she likes....
Thanks again everyone.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
I’ve never seen or heard of an instance where the 10 year rule was anything short of a tool to deal with undesirables.

I’ve checked into MANY places with a 10 year rule in my now 23 year old Class C, nobody has ever said a word about it.

That's the answer. Keep your RV in nice condition and don't be 'trailer trash' and youll be welcome everywhere.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Most do not have restrictions!
We avoid those that say they donot allow older rigs!

The issue is not the AGE of the RV but rather the CONDITION of the RV!!!! This issue is not rocket science or complex, just choose the RV parks that suits your needs:)