cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ft. Pickens; water over road

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
I love Ft. Pickens campground, but I don't love the salt water on the road. I've got reservations mid April, but I'm thinking of canceling and going to Big Lagoon. We bring a motorcycle as our "toad" and I don't want to ride it through salt water.

Does anyone know the water over the road situation at Pickens in April?
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.
5 REPLIES 5

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Driving through seawater would be a dealbreaker for me. Not going to do it. Don't care how shallow it might be. RVs are assembled with cheap fasteners & they rust very quickly.

Coming up to a full moon & shortly after has the highest tides but check tide charts for accuracy.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
Check tide charts. That will help you plan. Avoid extreme high tide days. Closer to your trip monitor weather for forecast winds, any strong onshore with even a moderately high tide will flood.
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
jspringator wrote:
It has been flooded, but open, the last several times I've been there. I am trying to find a seasonal pattern. I do expect sand when I camp near the beach, but do not necessarily expect to have to drive through a road flooded with salt water.

I have no idea if there is a seasonal pattern, call the park and ask. We don't live near there. I assume the floods are associated with major storms, whether winter storms would cause it I don't know, which in a normal year would be unusual in the spring.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
It has been flooded, but open, the last several times I've been there. I am trying to find a seasonal pattern. I do expect sand when I camp near the beach, but do not necessarily expect to have to drive through a road flooded with salt water.
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
We visited the Fort a few weeks ago, did not camp there. And the roads were perfectly dry. So is this something new, the road flooding?

If you want to camp on the beach you have to expect salt and sand after all.

We stayed at Big Lagoon years ago and thought it had narrow roads with tight sites. But that was long before the FL Park improvement project got started. It may be improved now.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper