cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fort McAllister

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking about possibly going here next March. Has anyone stayed here if so how are the sites? Are they kinda of private? Also how is the park it self as for as things to do? Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
Yes Charlestonsouthern I know the drill with skitters. What are some things to see in Savannah while there?

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Pine Barren, I see you live in northwest Florida; then, you should have no problem with the mosquitos and gnats; you know the drill--plenty of repellant and a net attached to your hat to pull down over your face. They are not there all day, just in the early morning and the late afternoon. If you are a history buff, you will be in the right place.

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. The no see umps shouldnโ€™t bother us to bad as we live out in the country close to a wet creek area. Reservations are made for next March.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
As long as the no see ums are not a problem you will enjoy your stay. McAllister is an earthen fort. Not far away is Fort Pulaski, a brick fort from the civil war. If you are able to visit, walk outside the fort on the east and southeast side where you can observe the Union shells lodged in the walls.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We were there for a few days last winter, and have a reservation for a week next winter if the virus allows it. The sites are fairly large, but the foliage isn't dense enough for a lot of privacy. Below is a photo of the pull-through site we were on, as well as one showing one of the daily visitors that passed through each afternoon. The weather was pretty overcast while we were there, and the photos show it. There's not a lot to do at the park unless you're into fishing. There's a boat launch and long dock available. I should mention that they have a few full hookup sites available, although we didn't have one.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate