cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Florida Keys State Park Reservations

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
I know the way things are supposed to work. Eleven months ahead of the date you want, you are supposed to be able to go on ReserveAmerica and claim your site.

I've tried repeatedly to get a site for next winter at any one of the four Florida Keys State Parks. I've signed in to my account before 8:00AM, found an available site before 8:00AM, told it I'm not a robot before 8:00AM, opened my computers date/time app so I could see the exact second that it became 8:00AM, hit the "book" button precisely at 8:00AM, only to have it tell me that the site is not available.

Some days there have been only a couple sites available. Other days there have been as many as 10. Doesn't matter. Precisely at 8:00 AM they are all gone.

How do you do it? How do you get a site?

(If there is a secret formula, PM me instead of revealing it here for all to see - LOL)

By the way - we miraculously scored 6 nights at Bahia Honda for this upcoming April. Apparently there was a cancellation, and we found it at just the right time a couple weeks ago. WooHoo!!

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB
11 REPLIES 11

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Moved from General RVing
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
My main problem with the FL state parks is that they could care less. Try getting a response at the state level about an issue.
They know they have a monopoly. I will give them credit for trying to keep the reservation system fair, but that might actually be RA doing it.
Puma 30RKSS

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
We played that game for years and that is why I finally bought a site
in "Key largo Kampground" and am living happily ever after.

Guy

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also, using a third party to MAKE your reservation is different than a third party scooping up reservations and then selling them.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
JaxDad wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
Here is some information that be of help.

I have heard the "resell" theory before. I don't know if I buy it. If there were that many selling these sites at a premium, we'd see it. But whenever I have seen a "reservation for sale" it has been at or below cost.

A fast Google search turned up dozens of hits like that below.

Clicky.

That is simply saying that it is happening. What I mean is where are the resale advertisements? How are these scalpers selling the reservations? I have not seen them.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've tried to get sites 11 mo out twice and was successful both times. Although for my upcoming trip in March, I had a site at Bahia Honda snatched away in a split second. I did get one at Pennekamp that was my backup.
It's crazy how hard it is to get in there. The gulf coast is getting almost that bad if you want a full week including the weekends during the summer.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
toedtoes wrote:

I have heard the "resell" theory before. I don't know if I buy it. If there were that many selling these sites at a premium, we'd see it. But whenever I have seen a "reservation for sale" it has been at or below cost.

A fast Google search turned up dozens of hits like that below.

Clicky.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™ve gotten a week here and a week there in the keys. Bahia Honda is the hardest.

Iโ€™ve never had any luck with the 11 mo routine.

When I got mine, I looked multiple times a day, every day until I got lucky.

I started about four months before.

I never got them for when I wanted but took what I got and bent my schedule

People tend to make cancellations a month out or less.

The ones that raise my eyebrows when talking to other campers at Bahia Honda on one of the waterfront sites, that bragged how they come back every year in Feb for a month, is how the heck do they do it?

Iโ€™m sure thereโ€™s a trick. BTW that was before the change the cancellation policy which made it easier to reserve and cancel into the window.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I know some folks that start checking for sites at hard to get state parks several days to a week before they want to be there. If they want to stay for a week for example, they start trying to book a week ahead of time, reserving for 14 days, then 13, 12, etc, as the days count down. If they do get in ahead of time, they make the full reservation and then later on change it to just the actual days they want, paying the change fee out of the refunded difference. Is it gaming the system? Yes, but apparently it works...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
No different than ticket scalpers do it, with an array of computers that jump in and tie up the popular sites, they then resell them for a profit.

I met a guy a few years back who made a pretty substantial income doing this.