Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Elk County PA area campgrounds

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello all,

Looking for recommendations on a campground in or near Elk county PA for a long weekend this spring / summer. Would like to take the kids to see the Elk and the area. We are in SE PA (Montgomery County) so travel distance is a bit of a concern for a short weekend. We have a 35' trailer and would prefer hookups. Let me know if you are aware of, or have stayed at any nice campgrounds / RV parks in that area. Honestly, the point would just be to enjoy the weekend and relax, maybe do some fishing if there is a nearby lake, or bring kayaks, so I dont really mind if we had to drive 20-30 minutes to view the elk and then head back to camp. Gives something to do.

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check Dubois/Treasure Lake KOA. It is a bit of a drive to get to Benezette bit if I recall they have full hook-up. Also just to save you some drive time, evenings are the prime time for Elk viewing. Go in the middle of the day and you may see one or two if you drive the wooded roads enough. Get on the right viewing field an hour before dusk and you can have 50 elk walk out 50 yards from you.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

leggy
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Lynmor. I have stayed there and it is very basic but works well. We had elk walk by as we were getting dinner ready. Later in the summer would allow the elk horns to be formed on the bulls.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Sinnemahoning State Park is really awesome, but no FHU's.

Places close to where the Elk are, are limited, especially with FHU's.

"so travel distance is a bit of a concern" That is what it is, but your not talking thousands or even hundreds of miles. Just make sure you fill up with fuel once you leave / north of I-80 no matter where you go, gas stations can be few and far between, especially on a Sunday where they roll everything up early, and you may as well shut the electronics and cell phones off.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Bennezette Store & Campground is a rather plain campground, but it will put you right where the elk are located.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.