Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question for fellow PA boondockers

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello All-
Our camping truly covers the entire range from boon docking to the fanciest resorts and everywhere in between. That said, most of our long weekend trips we really like to get away and have been taking advantage of the state forrest camp sites. We live in SE PA so we have only used the Delaware state forrest system in NE PA so far. I am curious if anyone on this forum has used other systems. Specifically throughout the middle of the state from south to north. Our biggest concern is road and site size as our trailer is 35' long. In the delaware state forrest we scouted them all before camping and noted the sites we fit and those we don't. Problem is some of the areas I'm asking about are 2-4 hours from home making it tough to scout. Moon Lake is one area I'd like to try, but there are some out need Elk & Potter county as well that look great as well as southern counties near Lancaster / Gettysburg type areas. We found some nice big sites in the Delaware section, one of which is large enough for multiple campers and we go as a group. Any thoughts on areas that have a site or two and access roads large enough? Also open to NY, MD, WV, VA areas within 3-4 hour drive from Philly suburbs.

Thanks all!
4 REPLIES 4

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Finding spots that YOU are comfortable getting into is a largely individualized effort. A neat plan may be to treat it as a scavenger hunt. Take a trip to an established campground in the target area, and then explore, using maps and GPS to mark your future spots.

This is actually exactly what we did to find the Delaware state forrest sites we already use. Were at an RV park and spent half a day driving and taking notes. We did book and stay at one without seeing it and got lucky that it was accessible. Thanks

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Finding spots that YOU are comfortable getting into is a largely individualized effort. A neat plan may be to treat it as a scavenger hunt. Take a trip to an established campground in the target area, and then explore, using maps and GPS to mark your future spots.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
agesilaus wrote:
Florida has an extensive State Forest system, but mainly allows camping in their low cost dry camps. Tho Florida residents over 65 get tio camp for free.
I think that's a little farther than the OP wants to go.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Florida has an extensive State Forest system, but mainly allows camping in their low cost dry camps. Tho Florida residents over 65 get tio camp for free.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper